• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering a "snubby"

Shooting .357 out of a small, light revolver is likely something you will only do a couple times. You're better off shooting .38 +P.

I had a S&W 642. I sold it because I never carried it or shot it. Instead, I use a PM9 as a pocket gun. The PM9 (or Glock 43) has real sights, higher capacity, is easier and faster to reload, and is much easier to shoot.
Range session with a snubby is 50 rounds max. If you want a gun that can be comfortably shot all day, pick up a P365 or a full size auto.

Range session with a snubby is 50 rounds max. If you want a gun that can be comfortably shot all day, pick up a P365 or a full size auto.
A snubby is hard to shoot. Which means you need to practice a lot with it. Which is very uncomfortable to do.

You don't need a fullsize auto to have a gun which is more comfortable to shoot. Any compact auto is easier to shoot than a snubby.

A snubby is hard to shoot. Which means you need to practice a lot with it. Which is very uncomfortable to do.

You don't need a fullsize auto to have a gun which is more comfortable to shoot. Any compact auto is easier to shoot than a snubby.
Something else to consider with a snub nose revolver vs a small semi auto 9mm is it's relatively easy to get a 124g 9mm going 1100 - 1150 fps out of something like a P365 or G43, but a snub nose 38 you'll be trying pretty hard to hit 900fps with a 125g bullet and your 158g bullets are probably going to be running more like 750-800fps. The little revolvers just don't pack a lot of whallop.

Not saying I'd want to get shot with one...

I tend to agree with you. However, full size auto or revolver has a longer sight plain, thus making it easier to shoot accurately. Compact and subcompact autos require more practice because of this. Are they more comfortable to shoot than a snubby? Most definitely.

I tend to agree with you. However, full size auto or revolver has a longer sight plain, thus making it easier to shoot accurately. Compact and subcompact autos require more practice because of this. Are they more comfortable to shoot than a snubby? Most definitely.
I use red dots. So the sight radius isn't an issue and a compact is easier for me to carry.

I've been shooting for 30+ years. I've got plenty of full-size guns. I used to carry a 5" 1911, so I know of what I speak.

Doesn't bottom out on the car seat, and doesn't need a red dot
Semi-autos don’t need a red dot either. I need a red dot because I am old and can’t focus on sights anymore. Presbyopia can’t be solved by changing from a semiautomatic to a revolver. Most folks will eventually experience presbyopia if they live long enough.

Revolvers have better accuracy, I have no problems out to 50y with a revolver (even a snubbie) once I know where to hold. A subcompact or micro auto that doesn't have a fixed barrel is just luck at that distance.

My thought process was a snubby was an inside the the 21 ft rule gun.
So why compare to a full size If you cannot carry it
As far as 9mm in a 10 only shot state,
I'll take the 357 maybe only 5 but is a proven man stopper especially with ammo designed for the short barrel.

You can do 357's with the rubber grips, but forget about even trying with wood, laminate or g10 grips. I tried it once with a friend's 340PD...ouch!

It might be one those "gotta find out yourself" things, like touching a hot stove when you're a kid.

Revolvers have better accuracy, I have no problems out to 50y with a revolver (even a snubbie) once I know where to hold. A subcompact or micro auto that doesn't have a fixed barrel is just luck at that distance.
I shot my 4” Model 19 last weekend, alongside my two Glock 19s. I hadn’t shot that revolver in maybe 10 years. I’d forgotten just how much easier it was to be accurate with the revolver. Even with my old eyes I was easily able to keep a tight group with the revolver. I never had similar results with a snubbie, even with a 2 1/2 K-frame.

I shot my 4” Model 19 last weekend, alongside my two Glock 19s. I hadn’t shot that revolver in maybe 10 years. I’d forgotten just how much easier it was to be accurate with the revolver. Even with my old eyes I was easily able to keep a tight group with the revolver. I never had similar results with a snubbie, even with a 2 1/2 K-frame.
The 4" K frame model 19 is the perfect revolver in my humble opinion. It was the first centerfire revolver/ hand gun I bought way back when. Never should have sold it. I have a older but like new 2.5" model 66 now. I have to say that the red ramp front sight on the 66 makes it easier for me to gain sight alignment than the original 19 without the red ramp.

Last edited:
The 4" K frame model 19 is the perfect revolver in my humble opinion. It was the first centerfire revolver/ hand gun I bought way back when. Never should have sold it. I have a older but like new 2.5" model 66 now. I have say that the red ramp front site on the 66 makes it easier for me to gain sight alignment than the original 19 without the red ramp.
My 19 has had the front sight replaced with gold bead on a blade style sight (not a ramp).

I still want my Ruger P.I.M.P revolver. P.I.M.P stands for "Personal, IMmediate Protection"

Basically a modern S&W M frame or H&R Young America. The .22 LR version will be called "The Trick", .22 Mag is the "Classy Flashy" and the .32 will be the "Mac Daddy."

Back
Top Bottom