Critique my LTC application reasoning

Here's what I have for my "reason" for applying for my Class A LTC

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I hear my town is a pretty tough town for licensing.

Underwhere said:
I would like to apply for my Class A LTC for all lawful purpose to include protection of person, property and family. I have been a resident in Lexington for over twenty years and believe myself to be of good character and an upstanding member of the community.

I have completed my NRA basic pistol safety course taught by *********, a certified firearms instructor and NRA chief range safety officer. I believe I have a good understanding of gun safety and the laws/restrictions in Massachusetts as well as the personal responsibilities that are associated with owning/handling a firearm.

I have experience handling firearms as a member of my college precision rifle team and look forward to participating in further firearms education.

Thank you for your consideration,

The letters of reference:

Letter #1
I was asked to provide a letter of reference for ****** to accompany his application for his firearms license. I have known ***** for twenty one years and consider him to be responsible, rational, level-headed and law-abiding person. I am confident in his ability to safely own and operate firearms. Should you need any further information or details, my contact information is listed below.
Sincerely,

Do you have more than one letter? If so are they current LTC lisenced in your area or in general. Some one who works for the atf or did, police officer, military. you get the picture. those are all good people to get letters from.

Do you have more than one letter? If so are they current LTC lisenced in your area or in general. Some one who works for the atf or did, police officer, military. you get the picture. those are all good people to get letters from.

Hmmm. I do know someone but they are the type of person who doesn't like pushing their weight around simply because of what they do/who they are. I'd feel bad asking as well.

I need two letters total.
Thanks for the advice though. Maybe I'll just ask him for tips.

Last edited:
Just be aware that you can NOT protect property with deadly force in MA.

Oddly enough however, many chiefs will issue unrestricted LTCs to those who carry "valuable property", whereas they won't issue to protect your own life! [rolleyes]

I don't know how many chiefs are really aware of this provision of law. I did have to correct my chief on this fine point of law at an Open Town Meeting one year as he spouted off that line, showing his lack of knowledge about this law.

I would like to apply for my Class A LTC for all lawful purpose to include protection of person, property and family.
As Len suggested, you can not use deadly force in MA to protect property. I strongly suggest that you remove property from this section.

Also, I suspect that in a difficult town, a letter as short as yours is unlikely to have any impact on the licensing officer.

...I have experience handling firearms as a member of my college precision rifle team and look forward to participating in further firearms education.

Just a suggestion:

"I have vaast experience handling firearms through competition, as a member of my college precision rifle team. I look forward to participating in further firearms education in the future."

I would simplify if I were you. I just had my wife put "for all lawful purposes." That's it. That's what she got. Non restricted. Over explaining often raises more eyebrows than not. I had her use a trooper friend of ours as one of her references... they never even sent them out. Just a LTC-A in four weeks.

I think your statement could use a much more concrete explanation of the circumstances under which you could forsee needing to protect yourself with deadly force.

Avoid vague, trite generalizations like "I would like to apply for my Class A LTC for all lawful purpose to include protection of person, property and family." That line adds little persuasive value to your request for an unrestricted Class A LTC.

Last edited:
I'm not an attorney, and maybe you want to do a brief consult with one to make sure all of your bases are covered, but, unless you have extenuating circumstances- i.e. tough town where the Chief specifically wants additional information, or your age etc, you are better off not supplying anything more than is required.

In a brief cover letter, the reason you want the license is "ALL LAWFULL PURPOSES." The second you try to explain what this means in a letter you are going to do nothing but hang yourself with whatever words you put down. Before you know it, after the chief grills you on what you mean, he'll be issuing you a LTC restricted to shooting BB guns at cans in the backyard.

Also, there is no requirement (the last time I checked) for references to write a letter, therefore, I wouldn't supply them.

I would simplify if I were you. I just had my wife put "for all lawful purposes." That's it. That's what she got. Non restricted. Over explaining often raises more eyebrows than not. I had her use a trooper friend of ours as one of her references... they never even sent them out. Just a LTC-A in four weeks.

I agree. "All Lawful Purposes" is all I have ever used. But, every town is different....

Bonz..

In the town in question, just writing down "All Lawful Purposes" will result in a restriction for Target and Hunting (or something similar).

I just had my wife put "for all lawful purposes." That's it. That's what she got. Non restricted. .

Well, that worked for her in her town. I had a client whose wife did exactly that on renewal and got another unrestricted A.

Her husband did the exact same thing just 3 months later and the chief issued "T&H" on the basis that he failed to demonstrate a particular need. [rolleyes]

Well, that worked for her in her town. I had a client whose wife did exactly that on renewal and got another unrestricted A.

Her husband did the exact same thing just 3 months later and the chief issued "T&H" on the basis that he failed to demonstrate a particular need. [rolleyes]

It boggles my mind... [thinking]

Thanks for your input.

Scrivener, I did read that thread and I do acknowledge that there is an interpretation that towns may not impose any further requirements when applying for a license.

However, I'm not an attorney and I am just starting out with firearms. I certainly am not as well versed as most everyone on here and I'm not sure if I feel comfortable going up against the police chief.

Perhaps if I had a Class B, were more up-to-date on MA laws, and were applying for my Class A it would be a little different. Perhaps I'm just a pussy. Maybe that should be one of the reasons I would need to put in my letter. :)

That works fine in a "green" town, but that's not the topic of discussion
here... presumably the poster knows that he lives in a "yellow" town of some
sort where the difference between getting a restricted license or not is a
matter of how much massaging you do. Yellow towns can be the worst
because of the random permits which come out... and sometimes there is
no set criteria, unless you get straight answers from someone at the PD
itself. Some people end up wasting a lot of time because of bad information.
(EG, wasting time writing letters to "reds" and writing letters to
"yellows" which are really "green" and don't care about your letter.

-Mike

M1911 what is the town in question from the original post? I missed it somewhere.

Also, your point is another good reason to do a consult with an attorney. They should know some of the local towns and what the chiefs are like. You would think it is a uniform process but unfortunaley, each chief has subjective discretion over the process.

M1911 what is the town in question from the original post? I missed it somewhere.
The very first post in this thread:
I would like to apply for my Class A LTC for all lawful purpose to include protection of person, property and family. I have been a resident in Lexington for over twenty years and believe myself to be of good character and an upstanding member of the community.

AUmmmm
UnderWhere
...lil info you have gotten advice from 2 lawyers in this thread...[wink]
I don't want to call them out..they may not have any problem with introducing themselves!!

Thanks for your input.

Scrivener, I did read that thread and I do acknowledge that there is an interpretation that towns may not impose any further requirements when applying for a license.

However, I'm not an attorney and I am just starting out with firearms. I certainly am not as well versed as most everyone on here and I'm not sure if I feel comfortable going up against the police chief.

Perhaps if I had a Class B, were more up-to-date on MA laws, and were applying for my Class A it would be a little different. Perhaps I'm just a pussy. Maybe that should be one of the reasons I would need to put in my letter. :)

AUmmmm
UnderWhere
...lil info you have gotten advice from 2 lawyers in this thread...[wink]
I don't want to call them out..they may not have any problem with introducing themselves!!

Yea, I gathered that.
Definately a very useful thread for me.

Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by Underwhere

I have completed my NRA basic pistol safety course taught by *********, a certified firearms instructor and NRA chief range safety officer. [/b]I believe I have a good understanding of gun safety and the laws/restrictions in Massachusetts as well as the personal responsibilities that are associated with owning/handling a firearm.[/b]

I have experience handling firearms as a member of my college precision rifle team and look forward to participating in further firearms education.

Thank you for your consideration,

If I were reading the letter as the issuing authority, I would say you were trying to convey an impression you had more experience than you do.

Take the statement first statement I made bold. How old are you? 21? so you have lived in town all your life so far. Try to be a little more personal on this rather than trying to impress him/her. Of course you think you are a good citizen. what do others think?

Second bold statement. You contradict it in your later post so which is it?

Last bold statement-You contradict that in your later post also.

I am not trying to be a hard a$$ here, but you must understand, they read these things every day and know when it is being shoveled on them.

So try this if you feel you really need a letter:

Dear Chief _________,

I am applying for a License to Carry Firearms for All Lawful purposes. Having grown up in Lexington, I have proven myself to be a law abiding member of the community and suitable for the responsibility that is necessary for this.

I have completed the NRA basic pistol safety course taught by *********, who is certified by the Commonwealth of MA and the NRA for this course. In the course, I was instructed on firearm safety and the laws, rules, and regulations as outlined by the Department of Public Safety. I have also gained experience safely handling firearms as a member of the precision rifle team at (NAME THE COLLEGE)

Sincerely,

If I were reading the letter as the issuing authority, I would say you were trying to convey an impression you had more experience than you do.

Take the statement first statement I made bold. How old are you? 21? so you have lived in town all your life so far. Try to be a little more personal on this rather than trying to impress him/her. Of course you think you are a good citizen. what do others think?

Second bold statement. You contradict it in your later post so which is it?

Last bold statement-You contradict that in your later post also.

I am not trying to be a hard a$$ here, but you must understand, they read these things every day and know when it is being shoveled on them.

So try this if you feel you really need a letter:

Dear Chief _________,

I am applying for a License to Carry Firearms for All Lawful purposes. Having grown up in Lexington, I have proven myself to be a law abiding member of the community and suitable for the responsibility that is necessary for this.

I have completed the NRA basic pistol safety course taught by *********, who is certified by the Commonwealth of MA and the NRA for this course. In the course, I was instructed on firearm safety and the laws, rules, and regulations as outlined by the Department of Public Safety. I have also gained experience safely handling firearms as a member of the precision rifle team at (NAME THE COLLEGE)

Sincerely,

Very useful! Thank you. That does seem better to me.

And you're right, I tried to make my reasoning seem like I had more experience than I actually do have.

I have somewhat of a novice understanding of the laws in MA but am reading and learning.
I do have experience with target 22 rifles, but not larger caliber handguns.

Last edited:

I just put "all lawful purposes" as well. I'm still waiting on my letter of approval from the state, (I dropped off my application 2 weeks ago).

here is how it has been explained to me. There is a certain criteria for which the lisencesing authority has to go by. It must be uniform and unchanged. Some chiefs require letters for a Class A LTC. Which in most cases is fair. Think About it if you where them. Some kid or adult you have never met lives in your town and has applied for a class A LTC with no restrictions. Would you issue a lisence without getting to know them first. I would not be able to sleep at night if something happened after I just issued some one such a lisence. I understand that people will disagree with me on this issue. You have your right to your own oppinion and to correct my grammer and spelling. :) on another note. If infact its not required by Federal and state law, it can as said earlier be required by your local chief or town or city in which you have applied.

Now whos ready to flame this post? try and think positive on when composing your responce. I am not here to miss lead or offer false information, however i am trying to pass along information in which i recieved from my cheif, and my friends from the ATF.

Back
Top Bottom