DA or SA ?

Does anybody shoot DA better than SA ever? I sometimes feel better pulling all the way thru the trigger in DA than when I do in SA. Just wondering

I find that my initial DA shot is frequently more accurate than my SA follow-up. That's probably a function of the draw and taking a really good sight picture at the start of a stage. (we're talking USPSA here)

If you like that consistency and the feel of that DA trigger pull, maybe a DAO or DAK would be a good option for you.

I find that people that actually shoot better with the first DA pull of a DA have developed a flinch in their SA pull. The long DA pull actually gives them that surprise break.

Makes no difference to me. I shoot the same either way (like crap, of course). Lots of practice and revolver training many, many, many, many, many (you get the picture) years ago (MSP) helped a lot.

I think that with all other things being equal, a lighter trigger pull would allow for a higher degree of accuracy.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Just the other weekend, I shot better firing my S&W model 66 DA than in SA. That does seem to be an anomaly for me, though.

Are you using a Sig? A lot of the new P series guns have "hard" SA triggers.

The problem is "punching through the wall" on the newer ones is a lot tougher, and it makes it easier to jerk the gun off target. DA is easier to shoot in these guns almost because the sear lets off differently than it does in SA.

If this is the case, an action job by a competent smith might be useful. Even reducing that SA pull by a pound can make a huge difference.

-Mike

Are you using a Sig? A lot of the new P series guns have "hard" SA triggers.

The problem is "punching through the wall" on the newer ones is a lot tougher, and it makes it easier to jerk the gun off target. DA is easier to shoot in these guns almost because the sear lets off differently than it does in SA.

If this is the case, an action job by a competent smith might be useful. Even reducing that SA pull by a pound can make a huge difference.

-Mike

Mike,

You read my mind I was thinking of my 239. It seems to be more accurate in DA than SA but I still think its me never the less. I'm a lefty and grouping at 4 oclock in SA is common for me and much more bulls in DA

Scott

Another note my hands are pretty big and my finger rest on the trigger in DA more comfortably than SA

In SA, are you putting the pad of your finger on the trigger or is the trigger closer to your middle knuckle?

Probably closer to the knukle,but I,m not sure,I will pay more attention to that next time

For me at least, doing that means the gun is getting pushed to the side as you squeeze the trigger. Putting the pad of your finger on the trigger makes more of a parallelogram and the trigger gets squeezed straight back.

YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom