• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer Hunters: What's your sidearm?

At the club last night one of the trap regulars was asking about handguns. The older dudes there were quick to give their opinions, and a lively discussion ensued. I kept out of it as I'm a noob at this club and I shoot trap and skeet with a borrowed gun, so what the eff do I know, right?

The guy asking about handguns is one of the younger guys - probably 40ish. He's a deer hunter and is interested in a handgun to take with him into the field. The older guys were spouting off about all kinds of stuff and their opinions were confusing our hunter. Sort of like good natured information overload.

I suggested that he try out different models to determine his preferences, but that my suggestion would be for a revolver in .44M or .357M for his purpose. I'm thinking of a .44 for my next handgun purchase (probably not until next year [sad2]), so I could be biased, but that's what I'd want with me in the bush.

However, I'm not a deer hunter. I don't own a rifle (yet) and I don't know how much gear the guy will be humping through the woods. A big revolver is a heavy sumbitch, and that could be a consideration. So, in a roundabout way, I'm interested in what you hunters strap to your hip when you're on the hunt.

What do you deer hunters use for a sidearm?

To add some context: he was talking about a hunting trip to northern Maine. I'm not a hunter so I wasn't aware of the MA prohibition.

Last edited:
I have taken a sidearm out in Maine, while blackbear hunting (bow). It was also advised we take a sidearm with us in the pitch black, middle of the night, while trying to stumble out to the latrine.
Again, depending on what your hunting, and where, can't really go wrong with a .44 or .357. I know some people carry .357 sig or .45 as a "dispatch" piece for wounded game. But for JUST whitetail deer, I'd ask where's the threat, and why bother?

When hunting in Maine or NH, I sometimes carry a .22 pistol in case I run across a rabbit or grouse or whatever is open and is good eating. Also to fire the three signal shots ten seconds apart that mean that I have a deer down and could use some help from someone in the group. Jack.

i can't beleive mass outlaws you carrying a pistol/revolver while hunting those animals. I would love to be able to bring that for protection if some other animal attacks. Granted i would already have a rifle, but if it's a bolt-action, It wouldn't be easy to be effective.

i can't beleive mass outlaws you carrying a pistol/revolver while hunting those animals. I would love to be able to bring that for protection if some other animal attacks. Granted i would already have a rifle, but if it's a bolt-action, It wouldn't be easy to be effective.

Mass doesn't allow rifles either. Shotguns only. [angry]

Been hunting deer in the North East Kingdom of Vt for over 20 years. I used to carry a S&W M-19. But as time and age advanced, the weight is just too much to have on me all day long. No real need.

I have a M-29 back at camp if I need to travel light to track down something wounded. Good part is that I've never needed it.

2 Skools of Thoughts

1) If Deer Hunting with a Bow or Shotgun in Mass you are not allowed to carry
a Pistol unless you have a LTC A
You are not allowed to dispatch a game animule with said weapon.

However it may copme in Handy if you are galavanting around Beford MA and happen upon a beast such as shown.

2583514121_7a8236604a.jpg

If you are in Maine,NH,VT or any other New England State. you need not fear any wild beast. The venerable .22 calibur pistol is perfect for popping Road Chickens or small game and is the ost handy to use as a finishing shot on Deer, Moose etc..

Moose. If your hunting Moose with a rifle and dont kill it cleanly you may want to have a more substantial cal pistol to protect your sorry ass when old Bullwinkle desides to ream you.

My first choice is a revolver with short barral in a caliber tha begins with .4

It also gives you the option of loading a cylinder with a birdshot for those little critters or getting fancy pants with a black bear.

Allways carry a Sheath Knife on your Belt. A secound on your Backpack sholder strap. A folding knive in your pack and another folder on your belt. A pocket knive in your pocket and a hatchet on your pack belt. Dont forget your Zippo and some bluetips and a compass and a Anolog watch.

Last edited:
1) If Deer Hunting with a Bow or Shotgun in Mass you are not allowed to carry
a Pistol unless you have a LTC A

That is not correct. While hunting or just in a wildlife hunting area during certain seasons you are not permitted to carry ANY handgun:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_handguns.htm
Hunting with Handguns
It is lawful to hunt birds and mammals in Massachusetts with a pistol or revolver of any caliber (including muzzle-loading pistols) and with a magazine capacity of any size, EXCEPT:

1. The hunting of deer with a pistol or revolver is PROHIBITED.

2. The hunting of wild turkey with a pistol or revolver is PROHIBITED.

3. The hunting of migratory game birds with a pistol or revolver is PROHIBITED.

4. The hunting of gray squirrel with a pistol or revolver in wildlife management zones 10 through 14 is PROHIBITED.

5. Black bear may be hunted with handguns only during the September portion of the open season. The only handguns lawful for the hunting of black bear are the .357 Magnum revolver using .357 Magnum ammunition, and other revolvers chambered .40 caliber and larger.

6. On Wildlife Management Areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons, pistols and revolvers of any caliber are PROHIBITED, except for the use of pistols or revolvers chambered not larger than .38 caliber for the hunting of raccoon and opossum between the hours of 9:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M.

7. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, the use or possession of any pistol or revolver chambered to take larger than .38 caliber ammunition is PROHIBITED.

8. During the exclusive archery season for deer, a person hunting deer shall not use or have in possession a shotgun, rifle or firearm of any kind.

9. Check the firearms statutes pursuant to M.G.L. c. 140 and c. 269 for laws affecting "large capacity" firearms (pistols and revolvers) and feeding devices, as well as those laws pertaining to carrying handguns generally.

This is not the complete law and is subject to change. Refer to provisions of M.G.L. c. 131, §§ 67 and 70, and to several provisions of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, 321 CMR.

Regulations as of 12-31-04.

I hunt with an old Ruger 44 Carbine (it looks like a 10/22 on steroids) and carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag that has a 5" barrel. Real good stuff and I have harvested 3 deer with that combo. I also take out a EAA Witness in 10mm when I use a handgun only. BTW, this is down in NC where handgun hunting is perfectly legal...and common.

your carrying a 30-06 bolt action rifle or shotgun or muzzleloader if in MA... you dont need a sidearm, a sidearm is going to only weigh you down and just give you one more thing to worry about!!!!!.

I carry a 45 ACP while hunting deer in Maine (also heavily populated with bear). Large revolvers are not comfortable (to me) especially while carry lots of other gear and walking many miles (if not in a tree stand). If you do not have a CCW in Maine you must open carry while hunting.

That is not correct. While hunting or just in a wildlife hunting area during certain seasons you are not permitted to carry ANY handgun:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_handguns.htm

I was under the impression that you are prohibited from carrying a handgun during archery season only, and those regulations seem to confirm my thoughts. Where does it say one can not carry a handgun during shotgun and muzzleloader season, if not on Mass Wildlife land? Did I miss it?

I was under the impression that you are prohibited from carrying a handgun during archery season only, and those regulations seem to confirm my thoughts. Where does it say one can not carry a handgun during shotgun and muzzleloader season, if not on Mass Wildlife land? Did I miss it?

from here (page 11):http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

The possession of rifles, handguns, or dogs in any woodland or field, or use of same on any game, is prohibited during the shotgun deer season except that the use of dogs is lawful for hunting waterfowl on coastal waters.

The "Plain Language Summaries" miss a few key points and don't state it quite as strongly as the actually abstract.

Back
Top Bottom