Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

http://bpdnews.com/resources/

Under License to Carry Guidelines:

Target / Hunting: This license is restricted to hunting & target shooting and traveling to and from a gun club. No concealed carry is allowed under this restriction.

Does this mean you can carry concealed to the range? Only open carry to the range? Or just silliness since it isn't law?

http://bpdnews.com/resources/

Under License to Carry Guidelines:

Does this mean you can carry concealed to the range? Only open carry to the range? Or just silliness since it isn't law?

Exactly as it says, it means "No concealed carry". In addition, I'm pretty sure they don't want you open carrying either. They want you to transport firearms unloaded in cases. It isn't law, but if a BPD officer catches you carrying on a restricted Boston license, I bet there is a really good chance that they yank the license - and that is something the law allows them to do.

If they wanted you to carry concealed, they would have given you an unrestricted LTC. They didn't.

Some towns, like Newton, allow concealed carry on restricted licenses to and from the range. Boston is not such a town.

The sad thing is that even if you move the restrictions stay with you.

What are the odds of being able to maintain the unrestricted status from another city ?

Last edited:
If they wanted you to carry concealed, they would have given you an unrestricted LTC. They didn't.

This is the key. In the days of paper licenses, many Boston licenses had a red rubber stamp "no concealed carry" on them.

The judgement as to "did you violate the restriction" will ultimately rest with the issuing PD (civil charges are possible, but the more practical matter is revocation). If a PD was inclined to accept things like "I was on the way to the range, see there are targets in the back seat", etc. then it would have probably issued you one of the 92% of LTCs that are unrestricted.

Some towns, like Newton, allow concealed carry on restricted licenses to and from the range. Boston is not such a town.

The sad thing is that even if you move the restrictions stay with you.
I actually had a conversation about this with the licensing officer, Lt Det McDonough. He told me that carrying to and from the range on a restricted license was perfectly fine; he even told me that hiking with a gun is perfectly okay and if I ever get questioned about it I can just say I'm hunting crows (his words). For some reason he refused to put it in writing though [laugh]

I will have to find it, but I swear the letter BPD sends with licenses says no carry including to and from sporting.

It's the mayor and PC pushing the no carry 'license to carry' policy. Most officers I've spoken with over the years could care less because of how infrequently they have issues with license holders from out of town.

Decent. It's happened before. They seem to be taking the attitude that 'once you're in, you're in'.
Boston is far from the worst in the state. Unlike some departments that are waging their own jihad against civilian(*) carry, Boston seems to be playing the game of "keep the numbers down". If you can come up with some reason that other people can't use (ie, not just a letter explaining the general fear of crime to which all residents are subject), you can often gen unrestricted in Boston. Not so in Brookline or Watertown.

will have to find it, but I swear the letter BPD sends with licenses says no carry including to and from sporting.
The Boston position has always been "no concealed carry" on a restricted LTC. Keep in mind that under MGL, any transport (including in a locked case in the trunk of a car) is "carry", so all LTCs allow some form of "carry".

* - Despite the assertions of some NES grammarians, "civilian" vs "non-civilian" is a Merriam-Webster accepted way of distinguishing between police and peons.

I actually had a conversation about this with the licensing officer, Lt Det McDonough. He told me that carrying to and from the range on a restricted license was perfectly fine; he even told me that hiking with a gun is perfectly okay and if I ever get questioned about it I can just say I'm hunting crows (his words). For some reason he refused to put it in writing though [laugh]
How long ago was this?

Also, it's my belief from my limited interactions with him that the BPD licensing officer is a cool guy who is just following departmental policy. I'm not sure if he's the same guy who ended up leaving the Quincy pd over their corrupt practices, but if he is that's pretty cool too. Doesn't make my restrictions more pleasant though.

Last edited:
Quick question, I read through a few pages, haven't found anything yet...

So I had my LTC-A unrestricted issued in Andover back in 2011. I moved to Boston in 2012, sent all the change of address forms etc. I recently moved within Boston, haven't sent my change of address forms in yet (do I need to? Same neighborhood, Charlestown, but different Street).

Regardless my ltc is up for renewal in November... What's the likelihood of keeping it unrestricted? Any tips for the renewal process to keep it unrestricted? Are there any legal avenues to dispute any restrictions placed upon renewal?

Last edited:
Quick question, I read through a few pages, haven't found anything yet...

So I had my LTC-A unrestricted issued in Andover back in 2011. I moved to Boston in 2012, sent all the change of address forms etc. I recently moved within Boston, haven't sent my change of address forms in yet (do I need to? Same neighborhood, Charlestown, but different Street).

Regardless my ltc is up for renewal in November... What's the likelihood of keeping it unrestricted? Any tips for the renewal process to keep it unrestricted? Are there any legal avenues to dispute any restrictions placed upon renewal?

Any time you move you have to let them know within the 30 days via certified letter.

Wrt to renewal in that part of MA, I have no clue.

You have to send a change of address even if you move next door.As for your renewal it will be a toss of the dice as if you get restriction or not.In Boston you have to fall under certain criteria to get unrestricted,but every now and then someone falls threw the cracks,and gets unrestricted for no reason.Good luck.

You have to send a change of address even if you move next door.As for your renewal it will be a toss of the dice as if you get restriction or not.In Boston you have to fall under certain criteria to get unrestricted,but every now and then someone falls threw the cracks,and gets unrestricted for no reason.Good luck.

Maybe I'll just keep my address at my parents in Andover till I renew, then change it to Boston

Just remember, that one of the notices goes to the PD in the town that issued the license, NOT necessarily where you live NOW.

If you have an unrestricted LTC and renew in Boston there's a very good chance that your renewal will be unrestricted as well.

Just remember, that one of the notices goes to the PD in the town that issued the license, NOT necessarily where you live NOW.

If you have an unrestricted LTC and renew in Boston there's a very good chance that your renewal will be unrestricted as well.

I thought it was one to issuing PD, one to new address PD, and one to Chelsea?

Friend applying in Boston. Need to get hard copy application from BPD HQ and fill it out or just show up at interview with necessary docs?
I see conflicting answers from past posts here and varying anecdotes.

Last edited:
I applied in Boston about three years ago and I went in, picked up an application, and went home. Came back a few days later with the application filled out and all the documents attached and did my interview/fingerprints/photographs.

Went to MFS with above-mentioned friend to practice for Moon Island test. Used the 4in S&W 64. She shot fine, first time with a 38spl revolver and scored 211/300. But due to weight of the revolver, she had problems/fatigue towards the end. Last couple shots were completely missing the target.

Question:
I know you have to shoot single handed, DA for the 7 yards, but can you use your other hand to support your shooting arm or aim with two hands then let go to shoot with one?
Pretty sure latter is a no go, but she wants to know.

You don't have to shoot single handed. I know the literature that Boston hands out may say that you do, but I don't know anyone that has been asked to do so recently. The range officers want people to shoot safely, so two handed all the way.

You don't have to shoot single handed. I know the literature that Boston hands out may say that you do, but I don't know anyone that has been asked to do so recently. The range officers want people to shoot safely, so two handed all the way.

This!

They changed that policy at the range a few years ago. Still need to do single action and double action according to what I was last told by students.

Back
Top Bottom