• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dog kills duck and duck owner shoots dog dead. Where do you stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think these were violated as he was on private property but it would be interesting to see if they try to go after him for this.

§ 170-13 Discharging firearms. No person shall fire or discharge any gun, fowling piece, pistol or other firearm or fireworks within any street, public way, place or square in this Town; provided, however, that this section shall not apply to any firing in accordance to law at any military exercises or reviews, or any firing permitted by the Board of Selectmen. Penalty: fifty-dollar fine.

§ 170-26 Parks, playgrounds and rail trails.

C. No person shall discharge any firearm or release any arrow in any public park or playground or upon or across any rail trail within the Town of Salisbury or within 150 feet of any such park, playground Comment [15]: Editor's Note: See Ch. 1, GenProvisions, § 1-6. 70 or rail trail. Violators shall be subject to a fine of $100 for the first offense and $200 for the second and each subsequent offense.

I grew up on a big diary farm in Michigan. We killed a lot of dogs running our cows, as it was the law to do so. Not sure of the regs here, but livestock is livestock. The dog owner is at fault. The duck owner should of fessed up.

High velocity air rifle. Put a .177 pellet in the dog's butt. Dog learns lesson never to return to that property, owner has to pay vet bill and nobody hears any shots fired.
I think that's a good option before killing the dog. The owners get second very stern warning with some financial consequences. Hopefully they are smart enough to realize there will not be a third warning.

This has become epic,

There's a difference between law, and ethics.

The ethics of capping Fido are, perhaps, debatable

From what I read/saw, Duck Daddy was within his legal rights to shoot the dog. He screwed up by not properly reporting it, and going the SSS route.

The problem with threads like this is it turns into Dog owners vs. other pet owners. Dog owners are going to think this is horrible and owners of other animals that dogs attack are going to think the guy did the right thing.

But disposing of the dog and not informing the owner is not cool.

I am not a dog owner so here is my take. If someone’s dog comes on to my property and attacks my Macaw while she is sitting on her T-Stand, Then my ammo inventory is going to go down by at least on round.

I'll be the minority here and say if it was my dog, all of my neighbors ducks would've ended up on my dinner table.
You may be in the minority, but you are not alone. I already agreed that the duck guy had the right to shoot the dog, but I can't say I wouldn't be so upset about it that I wouldn't have it out for his ducks. Of course I'd rather just shoot duck guy I guess.

But when it comes down to it, I love all animals, so I probably wouldn't really drop his ducks off at the train station. I would only take them out if it was a hunting situation and I was going to eat them. I'd probably dream about letting a family of foxes loose on his property though.

I wonder if duck guy had made the dog owner pay for any killed ducks if it would have made any difference. I think before killing an animal over this, I'd put in a complaint to animal control and see if they could fine the dog owner and make them pay for my ducks. If I was the dog owner, I would gladly pay for any damage my dog had caused, and that would be extra incentive to make sure they did not get out again.

Based on the address noted in the article, I took a look at the area on Google Maps. It certainly appears that every house in the area is within 500' of a neighbor's house. How does the "within 500' of an occupied dwelling" rule apply here?

1646271737320.png

dog>duck. maybe the duck owner should have kept the ducks in pens

sad to say......but the dog owners failed to control their dogs......they went onto some other property and did a nasty.

I might even agree with the dogs that duck is delicious but.......they were not under the owners control as mandated by state law.........owner of the now dead ducks was within his rights.......not to say he would have gotten away with the dog execution without "consequences" but......you know.....

My little bantam chickens were pets, they had names, some were very personable and even affectionate. Some I raised from hatchlings and had for over ten years.
No, your trouble dog/cat/falcon or whatever isn't more deserving of continued life than any of them is/was.
While contemplating pulling the trigger on my couple of offenders I managed to get crosshairs on, I did of course consider the possible trouble that could come of it, in spite of knowing the law was theoretically on my side. As evidenced here already, there are those who would seek retribution regardless of the circumstances, which of course leads to counter retribution and back 'n forth it goes. Not nice and preferably avoided...
So as much as I'd want to do 'the right thing' and handle the matter through proper channels, my gut tells me that could be messy. Shovel and shut up could work but is sort of cruel and inconsiderate...
Pretty much think the compromise strategy would be to remove any artifacts, drag the carcass up the road a piece, leave it there to be found and likely assumed to be a vehicle related demise.
Of course in the Salisbury situation that would've been sketchy to pull off, given the immediacy combined with the bang...

Last edited:
So not trying to be a wise a$$ here, but isn't the law that you can protect livestock only. I mean I don't get that luxury of shooting my neighbors dog when it comes in my yard and hassles my dog right? If my understanding on this is correct, then anyone that has ducks, chickens, goats, etc and says they are a pet and not just a means for food should not get that either.

So not trying to be a wise a$$ here, but isn't the law that you can protect livestock only. I mean I don't get that luxury of shooting my neighbors dog when it comes in my yard and hassles my dog right? If my understanding on this is correct, then anyone that has ducks, chickens, goats, etc and says they are a pet and not just a means for food should not get that either.
The law also allows you to shoot the dog if it hassles a person.
So in case of your pet getting hassled no one could proof that the dog didn’t also worry/attack you when you shot it.

“Section 156. Any person may kill a dog which suddenly assaults him while he is peaceably standing, walking or riding outside the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog found out of the enclosure of its owner or keeper and not under his immediate care in the act of worrying, wounding or killing persons, live stock or fowls,…”

How did the dogs enter the duck yard? Was there an open gate? Did they jump a fence.

I think there are a lot of unanswered questions before we can assign blame.

There is potential both parties are partly responsible.

The dog owners for sure bear some responsibility.

But if duck boy had an inappropriate enclosure / structure he could bear some of the responsibility too.

And if so is shooting the dog at that point legal or could one argue he was baiting the dogs?
It's kinda hard to bait a dog into your yard that is on a leash, run, or securely fenced yard. It was a good shot and hopefully a learning experience for the dog owner.

It's kinda hard to bait a dog into your yard that is on a leash, run, or securely fenced yard. It was a good shot and hopefully a learning experience for the dog owner.
Yes, we all know the dogs were off leash. But even so if duck boy had a proper fence or enclosure the dogs would not have been able to get in the yard or at the ducks even if off the leash.

Lots of wrong here for sure but duck boy is the one in jail.

Duck boy would have been better off setting up video cameras and having the dog owners fined and made to pay for his duck.

Now it will seemingly cost him a little freedom and possibly a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom