• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Duty flashlight choices

That's insane! A flashlight as a deadly weapon?

Don't tell anyone in MA... we don't need anymore dumb laws.

I have the old six-cell version. When I was stationed in Texas ("If I had land in Hell and at Ft Hood; I'd live in Hell and rent Ft Hood."), I was told by the local PD that under Texas Law the six-cell was considered a "deadly weapon" and required a serial number be enscribed on it. [rofl]

Doing security work in Hawaii, State Law prohibited us from carrying anything larger than a maglite...the AA kind. Anything larger than that was considered an impact weapon. I had a couple of Streamlight Scorpions and Surefire 6P so I was ok, but still...[rolleyes]

Aloha

Last week I sat through a presentation by Streamlight sales and marketing guys to a group of law enforcement trainers (no, I'm not a trainer... I was just able to sit in).

Talk about flashlight geeks. There's so much that goes into one of these flashlights. The company reps really listened. They spoke the language of these guys. They were able to articulate great answers to questions about features.

It really was a great presentation. I learned a lot and found it fascinating.

If you want to see unreal write ups and reviews go to candlepower forums, they are a great group of people over there, definitely nerdy but really helpful.

If anyone is in the market for a weapon mounted light, the Surefire X300u is on sale on Amazon right now for $168.43.

If anyone is in the market for a weapon mounted light, the Surefire X300u is on sale on Amazon right now for $168.43.
I recently picked one up. My first Surefire. I can't recommend this model at all. It is claimed that they can be mounted on a pic rail and this is completely untrue. The plastic rail mounts do not line up with a pic rail at all unless you leave the mounting screws loose. So I put it on the G21 and it won't come off unless I loosen up the 6 cap screws holding on the plastic rails. Fail and fail. I expected a lot more from Surefire. The light is fine but that cheesy mounting system sucks on the X series weapons mounted lights. Streamlight has a significantly better mount system for half the cost.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Should have come with mounting plates labeled "U" and "P" = "Universal" and "Picatinny". Rails can come in different spec unfortunately.

Should have come with mounting plates labeled "U" and "P" = "Universal" and "Picatinny". Rails can come in different spec unfortunately.
Yeah I used the proper "P" plate and it didn't fit on my DD rail, the LWRC rail or any of my other rails. They can't all be out of spec.

Yeah I used the proper "P" plate and it didn't fit on my DD rail, the LWRC rail or any of my other rails. They can't all be out of spec.

I'm sure your rails are in spec. Makes me curious as to what is in fact out of spec. Sucks that it didn't work out for your intended purpose. I think it's a pretty cool little light, but now I have my reservations about recommending it anymore. Thanks for the insight.

If any of you guys are looking for a light to station in your cruiser and dont mind spending about $199 I HIGHLY reccomend the Fenix TK 75 2015 version, this is a friggen searchlight! Check the specs out...

Low- 35 lumens - 270 hours run time
Med-600 lumens- 11 hours 20 minutes run time
High-1600 lumens-3 hours 40 minutes run time
Turbo-4000 lumens-1 hour 40 minutes

It takes recharchable batteries or 8 123 batteries

Obviously not something you would carry or use in small incident applications but if you need something to really open up an area or searching a building this might not be a bad investment. Im not a Fenix rep or have a dog in the race but own this and love it, figured Id throw it out there.

Back
Top Bottom