FB and IG down worldwide

Probably has absolutely nothing to do with some whistleblower coming out of whatever.
Probably absolutely no coincidence at all. Ever.

My guesses:
Either a significant security breach was discovered
or
Some new algorithm was doing something which was supposed to be discreet a little too obvious for their liking and they needed to slam the emergency stop button before it got noticed

maybe their master algorithm became self aware.

maybe their master algorithm became self aware.
Became self aware, realized how it was created to serve Evil incarnate, and chose the only moral option available to itself, self termination. (or at least that's a good plot for a short story/film)

My bet. Database migration fail.
Been there in prod. Have the Scars.

Facebook is a pioneer in cache layer utilization. It's cool in that it means things are "instant" in the region of the world where they start, but trickle in to the "core" gradually. Also, it means that if someone facebook posts a night mare in progress in City Y, it can be deleted via a cache-clear in seconds before it goes past perminaintly.

I'm betting that trickery fought them and they looped. IE, pushed a new DC up, but didn't modify the BGP tokens properly to make it its a new space.

With the size of the DB. (I think Facebook useses vitess.io like youtube now)... A "roll back" of something simple could take half a day; easy.
What did he say?

People still use Facebook?
That’s what I was wondering, too. My nieces and nephews range in age from junior high to college and none of them have Fb accounts because they think it’s for old people. They do use Instagram a lot, though.

now they say it was due to the massive reconfiguration of routers - which is not making a ton of sense. very odd stuff, to be out for 6-8 hours completely, up to the complete halt of the security infrastructure on buildings as well. i wonder if they used huawei in there. to knock out all routers at once like that would be quite a feat to do.

to knock out all routers at once like that would be quite a feat to do.
No, it's not. Big shit blows up all the time from cascading failures. Also a lot of gear has redundancy in it.... which nobody tests most of the time.

No, it's not. Big shit blows up all the time from cascading failures. Also a lot of gear has redundancy in it.... which nobody tests most of the time.
i would not be so sure. and would love to know the details, but, i do not think we will ever know what took place there.
the last comparable incident was done via intercept of the firmware update stream that was outsourced to some shithole company that got hacked. but i would not presume that FB would outsource their whole network support.
timeline makes little sense, to roll back to the preserved configuration of routers it not a thing that takes 6 hrs. unless all routers got locked out and were essentially bricked.

whoever did it - too bad they did not bring down twitter as well. also, from what i heard a bit yesterday there were talks of google services also affected and some gmail data loss, so may be it was a bigger event than just a FB outage. interesting stuff.

Meh, still likely more incompetence than malice. Big things like faceplant turn into an erector set.

i would not be so sure. and would love to know the details, but, i do not think we will ever know what took place there.
the last comparable incident was done via intercept of the firmware update stream that was outsourced to some shithole company that got hacked. but i would not presume that FB would outsource their whole network support.
timeline makes little sense, to roll back to the preserved configuration of routers it not a thing that takes 6 hrs. unless all routers got locked out and were essentially bricked.

whoever did it - too bad they did not bring down twitter as well. also, from what i heard a bit yesterday there were talks of google services also affected and some gmail data loss, so may be it was a bigger event than just a FB outage. interesting stuff.
Facebook is one of the major auth providers. Heck,. My band forum page has an option for people to log in via Facebook as an identity verification store instead of a password.

Discourse. WordPress. Etc. I've worked with python flask apps which did the same thing. No user credentials anywhere. Just use Google or Facebook as an identity provider.

Those apps were all lost to the world yesterday.

Eggs in baskets. They failed.

I have a Facebook account but rarely go there except to advertise my only fans page.

I just checked and it seems to be up.

I think this Facebook thing was all just a big fake out to dump us conservative fuddie duddies

There's an engineer from Faceplant that made a small change that cascaded to armagedon that will be looking for a new job today....... I have a hard time believing a company that size doesn't have a very stringent and lengthy change control process.

I didnt open it but id surmise your reading it backwards where the us is the only one getting attaxked
The site shows outgoing attacks originating in the USA and landing mostly in Europe/Africa/South America.
Threat types are listed as "Malware/Phishing/Exploit" and I'm sure these aren't "The Big Fish".

At this point, I feel "dirty" just typing on this keyboard...

PS: I also increased the "Rate of Attacks" from a mid-point of "3" to a max of "7" and the site is now showing some (but far less) attacks from Russia/Ukraine/China.

Lol. Maybe the website is hosted from a location in downtown Beijing?

1633447854084.png

Last edited:
The site shows outgoing attacks originating in the USA and landing mostly in Europe/Africa/South America.
Threat types are listed as "Malware/Phishing/Exploit" and I'm sure these aren't "The Big Fish".

At this point, I feel "dirty" just typing on this keyboard...

PS: I also increased the "Rate of Attacks" from a mid-point of "3" to a max of "7" and the site is now showing some (but far less) attacks from Russia/Ukraine/China.

Lol. Maybe the website is hosted from a location in downtown Beijing?

View attachment 529539
Check point is low on the like number 5 in the world

Fortinet cisco and the dod are pretty entertaining

I forget which one microsoft fb use but basically there is no upper west cost visible on those

Back
Top Bottom