Fighter Jets

If the Russians hit us, all we will see is the flash.
I think the past month of seeing Russian dumb-f***ery on display to the world has given us all reason to think to ourselves "we've been scared of this bunch of retards for the past 75 years?"

They couldn't organize a monkey shit-throwing contest, and we're worried about their ability to deliver a functioning nuclear device on target?

From where?
F15 Eagles fly out of Westfield MA. Western part of the state.

They not only train to deploy overseas and kill MiGs, but they have jets on alert in case Russia decides to launch its bombers or another 9/11 goes down.
Thankfully, every scramble so far has been a guy who didn’t know about a temporary restricted airspace issue just a disturbance on an airline. So far…..

F15 Eagles fly out of Westfield MA. Western part of the state.

They not only train to deploy overseas and kill MiGs, but they have jets on alert in case Russia decides to launch its bombers or another 9/11 goes down.
Thankfully, every scramble so far has been a guy who didn’t know about a temporary restricted airspace issue just a disturbance on an airline. So far…..
Yeah...
The post I responded to had them based on the cape.

Love it! About time some American “Whoopass” was being seen, & heard, …
Just an Armor veteran who served 110 plus miles East of CheckPoint Alpha, … and had unit pictures taken on the backside of the Brandenburger Tor, … back in 1974, … go get ‘em guys!
I’d stand up to serve if y’all wouldn’t take all day getting the proper paperwork together, as I’ve got a bad bum back, … I can’t stand for very long, or sit for very long, but also cannot lie down very long either, … somebody give me a target, Doctor said I have a touch of Parkinson’s, PTSD, & directional tremor, … so I can figure out that my shaky hands can be moved into the path of a target, & put the wham on some of it, … son in law handed me a CO2 pellet gun, & was awed, when I hit the swinging target from 20 feet away, Lmbo!!!!! I told him that all I needed was to get the rhythm, & it was dead meat, …

I participated in the Salem ceremony two or three times. I don't recall any flyovers. Units from historic military commands participated. I am still with the New Hampshire Governor's Horse Guards. (But we are practically inactive due to age of members)
It’s a good thing you don’t live in Ukraine..🤔

Here in ENC we're close to two Coast Guard stations (Ft. Macon, and Emerald Isle), Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in one direction, and Camp LeJeune in the other, with Seymour Johnson Air Force Base maybe an hour away. We see all sorts of cool boats, planes and copters pretty regularly.

Here in ENC we're close to two Coast Guard stations (Ft. Macon, and Emerald Isle), Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in one direction, and Camp LeJeune in the other, with Seymour Johnson Air Force Base maybe an hour away. We see all sorts of cool boats, planes and copters pretty regularly.

That's cool, I'm jealous. One thing about the Great Northwoods that I don't like is that we're not on any jetways. It's very rare that I see aircraft or even contrails anymore. Quite a big change from living just off the departure end of Barnes and having the house shake when the Eagles took off. I thought my old retired friends were crazy when they talked of missing the smell of jet fuel or being close enough to the jets running to feel them - now I know what they were talking about.

Barnes AFB, C-5's are based at Westover. Barnes used to host A-10's but they moved to the midwest when the F15's relocated to Barnes.
Wow! This whole thread and not one Chairborne Ranger posted their screenshots from FlightAware?
Not flight aware and not a fighter jet but here's a C5 I "saw" yesterday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-180800~2.png
    Screenshot_20220413-180800~2.png
    274.9 KB · Views: 2
That's cool, I'm jealous. One thing about the Great Northwoods that I don't like is that we're not on any jetways. It's very rare that I see aircraft or even contrails anymore. Quite a big change from living just off the departure end of Barnes and having the house shake when the Eagles took off. ...
It's striking how surburban Long Island has far, far more
commercial air traffic than Metro West Boston.

OTOH, back in the day I've seen Warthogs playing follow-the-leader
roller-coastering around Killington Peak. And I've seen a fighter
dropping flares over the Adirondacks, pift, pift, pift.
(Hope they all extinguished before hitting the ground).

Wow! This whole thread and not one Chairborne Ranger posted their screenshots from FlightAware?
I can't even post my kayaking cell coverage map breadcrumb trail.
These are the end times.

OTOH, back in the day I've seen Warthogs playing follow-the-leader
roller-coastering around Killington Peak. And I've seen a fighter
dropping flares over the Adirondacks, pift, pift, pift.
(Hope they all extinguished before hitting the ground).

Back in the day, we had A-10s at Westfield, MA and Bradley CT. We also had F-16s at Syracuse, NY and Burlington, VT. Not to mention refuelers at Pease, NH and Bangor ME and the Eagles at the Cape.

All of these planes would play in the Yankee MOA (Military Operating Area) that went IIRC from Surface to 15,000 feet roughly centered over Woodstock, NH. Because we don't have the huge ranges like they do out west, with the two ranges used being Fort Drum, NY and Indiantown Gap PA - both of these being pretty small, our planes would use captive munitions and train in the larger MOA. Since the ranges were small and were always being used by everyone, it was always much easier to just use the MOA and deconflict East / West if need be and still have a huge area to work. Because they weren't really dropping / expending ordnance, the pilots could simulate just about any attack scenario they desired and would plan run ins and egress that would make sense, and not be dictated by silly laws about carrying live bombs over populated areas. As the scheduler, I was able to get the Westfield unit huge amounts of time in the MOA, which is why you always saw Warthogs there, typically 2 hours in the morning and two in the afternoon.
Once BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure) hit in 2009 (?), the Northeast's jet population went way down. Westfield lost its beloved A-10 and got stuck with the Eagle from the Cape, and now flies off the coast so they can go fast and not bother cows or sheeple. The cape lost all its planes and is now an Intelligence Wing. Bradley lost its Warthogs and went to cargo planes, and then some Intel planes. Syracuse went to drones. Burlington kept its F-16s but had no one to play with anymore, which doesn't matter since they now have F-35s and I know nothing about them.

The flares were designed for training and a short burn. The pilots weren't supposed to pickle them below a certain altitude, 250' IIRC? There was also some "environmentally friendly" chaff that they'd dispense that were biodegradeable. These allowed the pilots to actively get in the habit of dispensing countermeasures instead of just saying "junk" to simulate.

Yeah,
BRAC ruined it for the .mil aviation geeks in the Northeast.

Grew up watching the A10s was bummed when they left.
Brac really did ruin things for aviation enthusiasts in the N.E. South Weymouth NAS went down in 95 and Brunswick went down in 2005

Back
Top Bottom