First 1911

union

NES Member
I know it's been asked before but doesn't seem like for a while now. I've started looking for my first 1911 to add to the collection. I'm a left handed shooter so an ambidextrous safety is a must. I know I can add one on after the fact but I'd prefer it came with it. For the right gun adding it on after is not a big deal.

So far I've been to a couple of local gun stores. They each had a couple to look at.

One store had a couple Rock Island guns. One was the basic RI1911 which the standard GI sights and had no ambi safety. The other was RI1911 I believe. It has the ambi safety and upgraded sights.

The other store had the same basic RI 1911, Ruger 1911 Commander, and a S&W E Series. Non had the ambi safety.

There is still one more store I can check when they are open next week and I've seen a few FS posts here such as the Colt Competition

I do realize there is quality differences between all these models with RI being on the lower end of the spectrum and the S&W being on the higher end of what I have seen. The price corresponds. The upgrade RI I can get for 700ish and the S&W was over 1k.

What I am looking for is a Full size pistol. One I can take to the range and not be sad if I banged it up a little bit while learning it so not a collectors piece. The odds are what ever I get wont be the only one I'll have.

I'm looking for advice and suggestions on this. Would the upgraded RI one be something good to start with or should I try for something nicer?

Thanks

Personally I am not a fan of the R1, for less money I'd buy a RIA 1911

the LGS steered me away from the RI if that counts for anything

Last edited:
What's your budget?

It's a no-brainer for people here to suggest you go buy a Nighthawk or have Greg Derr trick you out a custom job, but if $1k is a stretch for you we need to know that before we make recommendations.

What's your budget?

It's a no-brainer for people here to suggest you go buy a Nighthawk or have Greg Derr trick you out a custom job, but if $1k is a stretch for you we need to know that before we make recommendations.
yeah, a regular 'nicer' in custom 1911s can easy go into 5 digits.
or be a million, if made from a meteorite:

Your budget dictates what you can buy , with that being said......... I have a RIA 1911 FS Ultra TAC , and it has been flawless for me. The fit on MINE is pretty darn tight , but that isn't to say they all are.

What's your budget?

As I've said its going to be my first but not my last. I'm not looking for a show piece just yet and I don't need one made out of a meteorite :) I think right now 1k is about what my max is give or take a few bucks. Something to get me familiar with the platform. I realize that puts me in the budget end of these but I think it's a good spot to start.

I have 2 kinds of 1911’s. Colts and Dan Wessons.

There is a Colt in the FS section that does get my attention. It is on the upper end of what I'm looking to spend but it is there. I am just starting my journey into these.

Okay, I've had 1911s from five different makers, at a few different pricing tiers. A thousand should get you a used older Colt (an excellent choice) or S&W (mine was great, but it was an E-series. At the time, those ran about $800).

On the low end, I've owned an Auto-Ord from the mid-90s, which was a "good enough" piece that functioned almost exactly as well as the wartime A1 it was a clone of. And then I did have an R1, when they first came out, which seemed fine to me. But I didn't shoot it much.

I did spend $1k on the nicest 1911 I have, one I'll never sell, a 1984-ish Randall A131. I bought it used, many years ago, and at the time $1,000 was a stretch for me.

All things considered, I don't think you can go wrong with a Colt or a Smith. I hear good things about the SIGs, too, but I've never handled one.

Last edited:
All things considered, I don't think you can go wrong with a Colt or a Smith. I hear good things about the SIGs, too, but I've never handled one.
why no love for dan wessons? i saw some, they were, well, nice.

not my cup of tea, though, any 1911s, but, dan wessons were nice.

The big 3 are overpriced. Honestly you're paying for the name.
And I say that because for what you're going to pay, you're going to end up putting more into it through grips or oversized mag release or a different beavertail safety or play around with spring weights and sights.

If thats what your limited to, go with the RI and the ambi safety.

Or, go on Gunstroker and take a look around, theres more out there for manufacturers.

I know it's been asked before but doesn't seem like for a while now. I've started looking for my first 1911 to add to the collection. I'm a left handed shooter so an ambidextrous safety is a must. I know I can add one on after the fact but I'd prefer it came with it. For the right gun adding it on after is not a big deal.

So far I've been to a couple of local gun stores. They each had a couple to look at.

One store had a couple Rock Island guns. One was the basic RI1911 which the standard GI sights and had no ambi safety. The other was RI1911 I believe. It has the ambi safety and upgraded sights.

The other store had the same basic RI 1911, Ruger 1911 Commander, and a S&W E Series. Non had the ambi safety.

There is still one more store I can check when they are open next week and I've seen a few FS posts here such as the Colt Competition

I do realize there is quality differences between all these models with RI being on the lower end of the spectrum and the S&W being on the higher end of what I have seen. The price corresponds. The upgrade RI I can get for 700ish and the S&W was over 1k.

What I am looking for is a Full size pistol. One I can take to the range and not be sad if I banged it up a little bit while learning it so not a collectors piece. The odds are what ever I get wont be the only one I'll have.

I'm looking for advice and suggestions on this. Would the upgraded RI one be something good to start with or should I try for something nicer?

Thanks
LOL
I've owned 6.

For a $1k budget I would consider saving an extra few hundo and buying a used Colt and sending it to greg derr for some love.

Since you mentioned you are looking for a full size pistol, I’ll mention that the commander is a shorter version of the 1911. Not sure if you’re aware of that or not. Many folks refer to the full size as the 5” 1911, vs. the shorter 4.25” barreled commander.

I'm in a bit of a 1911 kick for the past few years. I would stay away from Remington I've seen a couple that were horrible. Kimber is a brand that seems to be past its prime. Springfield RO loaded is what I'd look for in your budget. If you want to get a really good gun chip in the extra for a Dan Wesson or Springfield TRP.

Last edited:
For a first 1911 that won’t break the bank you might consider the Ruger SR1911. They use the original 1911 fire control (meaning no firing pin block that the trigger has to move out of the way; in a Colt it would be referred to as a Series 70). I have one of their Talo exclusives, the Night Watchman, and it is a good 1911 for the price.

Guns.com has the standard in stock for $932 and Grab-a-Gun has the Commander (4.25” barrel) in stock for $890.

ETA You would have to put an ambi safety on it.

Thanks guys. Some good info so far. Not really making my decision easier :) It looks like 3 of my options are viable. Wish I had the cash for all of them or for something on the higher end but that may have to wait until the bike is paid off some time next year.

Don't be afraid to buy used. Most people buy a gun, then sell it when they are bored with it or need money.
I looked on gun broker there's a few range officer loaded models that are a good deal used. Of my five 1911s only one did I get new and they are all perfect running guns and looked new when I got them.

Id get a series 70 steel framed pistol and shoot the crap out of it until it breaks. And, then fix it myself with off the shelf parts available from many places.

As others have said, a used gun will be just as good as a new one, only less money.

My first 1911 was a S&W E Series when they first came out. It’s got thousands of rounds through it and it’s run solid. As with anything you get what you pay for. One day I’ll own a WWII model 1911. One day.
Ive had most of the under 1K ones. Id say Smith E series has the most in the way of fit, finish and options like a checkered grip, and other asthetics as the others. The extractor is diffrent, but I havent had any issues. They are starting to push 900-1K now.......Mine was $750. And back then by far the best choice out of the big 3.

Springfield is probably better than Ruger or Remington in the frame department. I'd go with that in a 700 -800 dollar choice.

I still have a Rock Island for a beater. It works, it was cheap like 400 dollars.

Over 1K go with Dan Wesson or Colt, you'll get more options with Wesson for your money now than Colt.

FS has a few Springfield RO in 9mm target configuration. Ambi safety and a good shooter for the money. I picked one up to see what the platform was like in 9mm and I find that I shoot it more than my 1911 in .45....I'm also a cheap bastard, so there's that. The target models come with target sights, great for the range, less than ideal for carry. Good luck making the decision.

Thanks
You will be surprised how easy the safety is to manipulate left handed.

As mentioned pick a price point and let the games begin.
I know several people hammering the crap out of the RIA GI

He’s said he’s a lefty, and Cabot will also make a completely left sided 1911 if you want. Even the barrel twist goes the other way:

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=J-aXNG6XdWI

Sorry OP, I don’t have a good recommendation as I’ve been out of 1911s for a while. But if I were to get another one, I’d probably look exactly where nstassel mentioned: Higher spec Springfields or a Dan Wesson. Actually, I lied. I may just dive straight to a Chamber’s Custom. But that will be more money and more time (saving money and waiting on the build).

I may just dive straight to a Chamber’s Custom.
and i would probably go with a 9mm and a staccato. but for now i am very happy with a CZ, not sure how much more time it will take for me to get interested enough to extend that farm. for now all i shoot is a ruger 22/45, as it still feels new, and shoots very well. plus i realized that i suck at 25yds now, mostly go into 6-7 rings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom