• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For those who didn't know, SL Gun Shop in Mason, NH is now....

Your right. As soon as they didn't give him a price over the phone he should have gone on Gun broker and not even bothered heading down. He was a dummy to try and support a local shop while expecting to pay a reasonable extra cost for a gun. Businesses tend to forget who their competition is. The reality is people can get most things cheaper online, the only thing lgs (and any other local stores)offer is customer service for the most part. I always love how people push push push to support your lgs but then they are given a pass for unreasonable high prices or poor customer service.

His is post is capitalism and reality. It works both ways, gun shops can charge what they want (in a panic or otherwise) but expect that when you unreasonably gouge or anger a customer they won't comeback.

I support the shops that give me a reason to support them.

ohh and $60 + transfer fee (20$ or so) on say....a $400 gun is 20%. That and it needed to be shipped and I'm betting the seller made some sort of profit. Of course if this is a $1,200 gun we are talking about something else and you are right...60$ isn't much.

To some extent, I understand the price over the phone thing.... Many, many people spend all day calling around to find the lowest price, and will drive 2 hours to save $60.... Some places of business don't consider that type of person a "customer" and don't really want to do business with them. I persoanlly have no issues with $60 more on a $500 gun, so long as I don't have to take a number like I'm at the damn delI counter. There is no markup in guns, so if you want to bay 5% over cost, expect to go to a place like Four Seasons or gunbroker. Your trade off is, an employee migjt shoot the display case of guns your looking at, or some crappie gun broker dealer might rip you off. Nothing wrong with either, just a different way of running a business and a different way of shopping

i might go in there... depends. anyone know about the new owners?

the sales tax thing, being told they wouldn't accept a transfer as i'd "cut into their profits", buying several guns which simply didn't work right, having their "gunsmith" hack and slash up one of 'em... my business was taken elsewhere YEARS ago.

even at work when we needed ammo--they asked ME rather than going to state line.

having their "gunsmith" hack and slash up one of 'em...

I had the same experience. I hope the new owners address the "gunsmith" problem. I handed them a valuable, somewhat rare rifle to re-barrel. I also gave them the replacement barrel. The old barrel was in perfect condition; I just wanted a different twist rate.

The "gunsmith" cut the old barrel in two for no good reason. The barrel he destroyed was worth roughly $300 in used condition. When he installed the new barrel he failed to secure it, so the new barrel was rotating freely when it was handed back to me. Not exactly quality workmanship.

I like the guys at the counter but I'll never bring a gun to them for gunsmithing ever again.

Are they still going to insist on enforcing MA rules for ammo sales?

Meaning they require a MA resident shows some form of MA permit (LTC or FID) to buy ammo- even though there is no requirement to do same in NH.

I had heard at one time the prior owners had a MA FFL so they could transfer handguns directly to MA residents- so they bowed to MA laws regarding ammo sales. But if they dropped the MA FFL and just transferred thru another dealer they should have stopped playing MA games.

I can understand WalMart having stores in both states trying to avoid any legal hassles- but the actions of SL Guns and MFLR/Shooters Outpost in following MA laws for no apparent good reason make little sense.

Some places of business don't consider that type of person a "customer" and don't really want to do business with them.
As a customer, I consider the refusal to quite prices over the phone as a red flag that vendor is not likely to have the best, or even a very good, price.

As a customer, I consider the refusal to quite prices over the phone as a red flag that vendor is not likely to have the best, or even a very good, price.

As a paying customer, there's nothing I hate more than a sales person who "was" answering my questions and helping me all of a sudden have to answer a phone for some cheap ass trying to save $15 on a $500 gun. I'm in the store already, screw the guy on the phone. If you want it the cheapest, go to four seasons and take a number. (

As a paying customer, there's nothing I hate more than a sales person who "was" answering my questions and helping me all of a sudden have to answer a phone for some cheap ass trying to save $15 on a $500 gun. I'm in the store already, screw the guy on the phone. If you want it the cheapest, go to four seasons and take a number. (

seems to be a different problem. If you run a business expect people to call, and have some staff there to answer questions. A salesperson who takes a call in the middle of a conversation with an actual live customer is not a very good salesperson at all. In the Free Market businesses compete for customers. They can do this many different ways, not just via price.

Depending on their needs, people will shop at different stores. It doesn't sound like many people here like businesses who don't quote prices over the phone.
Personally I don't nickle and dime shops that I like. But I am also looking to not drive 2 hours and get ripped off on the price.

The telephone was invented for a reason.

I don't understand people bad experiences with this shop. STATE LINE and blue northern are my go to shops. I don't go anywhere else.

You pretty much live in a gun buyer cave, then. I feel sorry for you. To qualify my statement- I like Blue Northern and its one of the very few MA shops I will hit up on occasion, and my dad bought his handgun there and they were excellent to deal with. Price over the phone, told the guy that we would be there at X, and he even held the handgun for us so nobody else would buy it. That is a shop I actually stop in once in awhile because it's respectable. Prices may not be the "lowest" but they are friendly to deal with compared to some other places.

WRT the "being a regular" thing... yeah, that helps, but that goes with nearly any smaller shop, not just the two you mentioned. Over the years I've established good working relationships with a few shops to the extent that the treatment I get is well above average. Sometimes I still pay a little more than GB prices but the extras I get (in terms of priveleges and discounts) offset any price difference nicely.

-Mike

You pretty much live in a gun buyer cave, then. I feel sorry for you. To qualify my statement- I like Blue Northern and its one of the very few MA shops I will hit up on occasion, and my dad bought his handgun there and they were excellent to deal with. Price over the phone, told the guy that we would be there at X, and he even held the handgun for us so nobody else would buy it. That is a shop I actually stop in once in awhile because it's respectable. Prices may not be the "lowest" but they are friendly to deal with compared to some other places.

WRT the "being a regular" thing... yeah, that helps, but that goes with nearly any smaller shop, not just the two you mentioned. Over the years I've established good working relationships with a few shops to the extent that the treatment I get is well above average. Sometimes I still pay a little more than GB prices but the extras I get (in terms of priveleges and discounts) offset any price difference nicely.

-Mike

Wait, you bash SL in favor of Blue Northern? Thas probably the 1 shop in mass you couldn't pay me to set foot in! On two out of the three occasions I've bought there, special order pricing increased 5-10% from the original quoted price when prdering. I bought a SR9 there for $65 for than four seasons, and then was offered $215 on trade in 3 months later

Last edited:
I meant to go to the grand opening, but forgot all about it. I've been going there for about 11 years now, though I'm not what you'd call a high volume or power buyer, so they've been ok for me, I'd rather spend a little more on a gun there than do 3 hours worth of round trip driving to save $50 or so. I've also never had any bad dealings or attitude from any employee there. The biggest thing about them(and I assume most gun shops) is don't trade anything - you'll most likely be quite unhappy with the trade value, it didn't take me long to figure that out. I now will sell a gun on my own even if it takes a while because even if I take less than I really wanted, it'll probably still be twice what I'd get in trade. Otherwise, I'm pretty thrifty and picky about guns now. I don't impulse buy anymore, I go in looking for something specific and if I don't find it I don't buy anything.

Paul is a someone I consider a friend and I have been a "body" for open houses... I "work" as an engineer for a millwork company

Gotcha. Definitely respect that and you being forthright about it. We (wife and I) really used to love that place. Chris especially has never been anything but great - to me, my friends, my family. To random people we'd see in the store. If he was taking over, we'd be there every week. Paul's OK too, though has his grumpy moments (hey we're getting old, we all do). Some of the employees, however, have driven customers away (just read the comments here). If I had to pin it down, I'd guess it really started to change about 5 years ago. Our last visit ended shortly after the clerk in the handgun area was so interested in talking with my wife rather than showing her the handgun she asked about, that he kept the uncleared handgun on the counter with his hand on it, muzzle pointed at her while absentmindedly finger-****ing the trigger. She stared at it, asked him to clear the firearm, which he ignored, and she walked quickly away and out of the shop; I thought he'd made a pass at her or something 'till she told me what happened. I'd say that was just dumb 'till I found out there's a guy that works there who has a scar on his hand where he previously ND'd himself. There were other less concerning incidents. Forgetting to put an order in with the manufacturer/distributor, over and over. The "gun smith" carving a chunk off a semi-auto's bolt and clipping loops off the spring because it wasn't cycling well (problem turned out to be a factory burr at the edge of the chamber; found by a real gunsmith who also had to clean up the burry mess they made of the bolt). We never haggled over price, spent tons there over the years. Have not been back since the muzzling incident, tho. I think just they grew too fast.

That and my name appearing on receipts when I paid cash.

Gotcha. Definitely respect that and you being forthright about it. We (wife and I) really used to love that place. Chris especially has never been anything but great - to me, my friends, my family. To random people we'd see in the store. If he was taking over, we'd be there every week. Paul's OK too, though has his grumpy moments (hey we're getting old, we all do). Some of the employees, however, have driven customers away (just read the comments here). If I had to pin it down, I'd guess it really started to change about 5 years ago. Our last visit ended shortly after the clerk in the handgun area was so interested in talking with my wife rather than showing her the handgun she asked about, that he kept the uncleared handgun on the counter with his hand on it, muzzle pointed at her while absentmindedly finger-****ing the trigger. She stared at it, asked him to clear the firearm, which he ignored, and she walked quickly away and out of the shop; I thought he'd made a pass at her or something 'till she told me what happened. I'd say that was just dumb 'till I found out there's a guy that works there who has a scar on his hand where he previously ND'd himself. There were other less concerning incidents. Forgetting to put an order in with the manufacturer/distributor, over and over. The "gun smith" carving a chunk off a semi-auto's bolt and clipping loops off the spring because it wasn't cycling well (problem turned out to be a factory burr at the edge of the chamber; found by a real gunsmith who also had to clean up the burry mess they made of the bolt). We never haggled over price, spent tons there over the years. Have not been back since the muzzling incident, tho. I think just they grew too fast.

That and my name appearing on receipts when I paid cash.

I know the person you are specifically referring to, and he hasn't been employed by the shop, or been anywhere need the place in 2 or 3 years.... for just the reasons you've stated.

Come to think of it, it's probably closer to 4 years since that particular person was told there services where no longer needed

Last edited:
Paul is a someone I consider a friend and I have been a "body" for open houses... I "work" as an engineer for a millwork company

Wouldn't that make you a bit biased in the other direction? You were calling me out for being a crappy customer because I drove a significant distance to the shop for a specific gun and didn't want to bend over on the price? That's obviously a customer fail rather than a shop fail right?

You're right, I'm such an ******* for trying to support local businesses. Next time I'll just buy from the start on GB and pick it up at MFLR where they just do the damn transfer instead of busting balls about buying something online.

With folks like you supporting and working at SL I guess it's not surprising I thought their customer service sucked.

Wrong! I don't like their practices of asking for IDs on stuff that does not require an ID. That is not complaining. That is a reason. So you can go off making your allegations of what I do "Here" as your feeble way of creating some kind of demonization, If that works for you.

I don't need anything to "work" for me, your irrelevant to me. If ID for certain items is required by ownership, that's there business. Shop elsewhere. Your not missed. If you feel as though you need to vilify a person because of what they feel they need to do to protect their business interests, do whatever works for you.

Wouldn't that make you a bit biased in the other direction? You were calling me out for being a crappy customer because I drove a significant distance to the shop for a specific gun and didn't want to bend over on the price? That's obviously a customer fail rather than a shop fail right?

You're right, I'm such an ******* for trying to support local businesses. Next time I'll just buy from the start on GB and pick it up at MFLR where they just do the damn transfer instead of busting balls about buying something online.

With folks like you supporting and working at SL I guess it's not surprising I thought their customer service sucked.

I don't believe so. There are plenty of good gun shops around, shop else where. I believe my post, directed at you, asked you why you would even go there in the 1st place? I have not asked anyone to shop there, and I have not defended any of the actions. I know specifically of a few real stupid issues that have occurred with NES members that where just not right. I have had my own issues with certain people as well.

Such is life.

I can think of many many many worse gun shops, some of them that have screwed me pretty hard. Doesnt mean I sit on NES and crap on every thread imaginable and sling personal, insult at people I can't even remember their name.

As I also said, I'm not an employee of the new shop, and I did not work but a handful of days for the old shop. I'm not asking you or anyone else to shop there, peroid.
- - - Updated - - -

I will and do shit on that shop every chance I get. I know others that do the same and they are spreading the word. The worst advertising that you can have is bad word of mouth advertising. Being that they had a low turnout for the Reopening it appears to be working.

Wall to wall people all day. I was in to say hi this afternoon and had to walk down the street.

Last edited:
That is not what was reported earlier. Of course we know how you will paint the picture.

The post ealier was referencing the open house, which they usually have 2000 people and 20 vendors. No there was not that many people, that event was back 3 months ago.... and yes, there where that, many people

I know the person you are specifically referring to, and he hasn't been employed by the shop, or been anywhere need the place in 2 or 3 years.... for just the reasons you've stated.

Come to think of it, it's probably closer to 4 years since that particular person was told there services where no longer needed
That would be consistent. Since the hack job on the bolt and that wacky incident, I've been there only once - for an open house with a friend. Glad they realized the guy was a loose cannon. The business with names on receipts was weird; not sure if they were databasing (non-firearm) purchases. How else would that happen? Thanks for replying tho. I realize we choose our friends, we hear it from their points of view, and we tend to stick by them.

That would be consistent. Since the hack job on the bolt and that wacky incident, I've been there only once - for an open house with a friend. Glad they realized the guy was a loose cannon. The business with names on receipts was weird; not sure if they were databasing (non-firearm) purchases. How else would that happen? Thanks for replying tho. I realize we choose our friends, we hear it from their points of view, and we tend to stick by them.

I get that. I get some people don't like or hate the shop. It's part of doing business... I also have no need or motivatoons to change anyones mind aboutvwjere they do business. There are lots of good shops, find one you like. That's it.

From my perspective, you can hate the shop bUT the people involved are ultimately good people who care about the sport and the shooting community. If you hate their business practice great, don't ever go there and tell all your friends why you hate them.

I can't stand Four Seasons, I positively hate that place. But Carl is a good guy, who supports the shooting community and run a well put together business so I can't think of a single reason to sit here and sling insults at him, and I don't think Paul ( the old owner of SL ) or Dana ( new owner of Old Glory ) deserve that from anyone either

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom