For Your Consideration

Why doesn't the statue of limitations apply to your case?
Back in the 70s I got a ticket in Florida for riding my motorcycle between lanes of traffic. I never paid the ticket, and 7 years later I received a notice from Florida stating that I was now allowed to drive in Florida.

Back in the 70s I got a ticket in Florida for riding my motorcycle between lanes of traffic. I never paid the ticket, and 7 years later I received a notice from Florida stating that I was now allowed to drive in Florida.

Connecticut has a looong memory I guess.

Are you sure it was a statute of limitations reason you got that letter? Statute of limitations is the amount of time someone has to make a legal claim against another entity, or a prosecutor has to file charges. If there is a warrant out for his arrest, wouldn't charges need to be filed to initiate that?

I do not believe there's a SoL on failure to appear in Connecticut.

I had a very similar experience a few years back.

It came from a Probation violation 17 years earlier. This was for a traffic stop that I was arrested for.
I went to court and was put on probation with early termination if I paid court costs, got a Florida
Drivers license, and something else. All those things were taken care of before the day in court.
I went to the Probation office and showed them everything so the probation could be terminated.
Well, the person never entered the termination.

I went thru a DOD Background Security check to work on a Navy base in the Bahamas, Had it reissued
when I moved up here when Raytheon hired me. I have purchased three rifles and a pistol while here in
NH. When I went to purchase a Saiga 12 Shotgun, I got the denial. An inquiry to the FBI was no help.

I got a letter saying I was a Fugitive from Justice. What came about was they were updating their system
or the sniveling servant retired and someone found my file and entered it into the database. Since there
was no record of me showing up to see the probation officer, the probation violation came about.

All in all it took me the better part of a year to clear this all up. I had to write a letter to the judge down
there explaining everything. It turns out, it was the same Judge I was in front of 17 years earlier!

I finally got my Saiga.

Malodave

Yeah, I'm sure it didn't just cost you the better part of a year, I'm sure it cost you plenty of $$$ as well. This is the egregiousness of the whole concept of background checks.

Not for nothin', but it might be useful (or at least interesting) if someone more grounded in the compilation of statistics than myself were to start gathering the combined total costs in both time and money to gun owners, nation-wide to restore their gun rights after they are erroneously denied them. Not that I think governmental entities will care (at least not at first), but it might help influence at least some of the millions of FUDDs who think background checks are a good idea.

Taking it a step further, all stories such as IJ's and Malodave's should be catalogued and, much like the NRA's "The Armed Citizen", published so that misguided supporters of UBCs can see the burgeoning damage that is being done to otherwise law-abiding citizens just because they happen to be gun owners.

One thing I took away from this is how damn funny the brothers are in jail. Some of the drug stories and other antics had me doubled over laughing. Most of these guys weren't making bail, and still had a sense of humor that kept on going.
I took the lighthearted ribbing that only a white guy in his 40's, in a business suit and dress shoes could take with good humor. They'd look at me and just shake their heads. "Oh, Jester's going home. He's got a payed lawyer!!"

It was an eye opening situation. I don't recommend it really, but all in all I was in a different situation than most of my cell mates were.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I'm sure it didn't just cost you the better part of a year, I'm sure it cost you plenty of $$$ as well. This is the egregiousness of the whole concept of background checks.

Not for nothin', but it might be useful (or at least interesting) if someone more grounded in the compilation of statistics than myself were to start gathering the combined total costs in both time and money to gun owners, nation-wide to restore their gun rights after they are erroneously denied them. Not that I think governmental entities will care (at least not at first), but it might help influence at least some of the millions of FUDDs who think background checks are a good idea.

Taking it a step further, all stories such as IJ's and Malodave's should be catalogued and, much like the NRA's "The Armed Citizen", published so that misguided supporters of UBCs can see the burgeoning damage that is being done to otherwise law-abiding citizens just because they happen to be gun owners.

It really only cost me a stamp and some long distance phone calls. I could not get Nashua PD to roll my
Fingerprints for the FBI to get more info from them. Most of the time was taken up by this and trying to
get information about who and why I was denied. It only took about 30 days to clear everything up once
I knew where it came from.

The day after the Court hearing in Florida, I got the paperwork Emailed to me and went to the Dealer
and was out in 10 minutes with my new Saiga 12. I was off the NICS list FINALLY!

Malodave

Is there any type of "look up" site available for these types of situations? If there is an unpaid parking ticket, or whatever, from when you were seventeen, that might result in getting denied (or swatted) now that everything is being digitalized?

(I love one of my dogs....ya know.)

Is there any type of "look up" site available for these types of situations? If there is an unpaid parking ticket, or whatever, from when you were seventeen, that might result in getting denied (or swatted) now that everything is being digitalized? (I love one of my dogs....ya know.)

You'd probably have to know what state you were searching for. After all this was over, on Monday I called the CT state police again to check that it was all good. They directed me to the state's judicial website which allows you to enter your name and DOB and check if anything is active.

Glad you got it all figured out.

At least you got some street cred under your belt now.

At a price tag... time... trouble... and needless headaches over probably a $100 moving violation.

Yes, the whole thing is downright crazy!, my statement of "great legal system" was intended to be a 'wee bit' sarcastic!!!!

Do you realize where I've beeeeen since yesterday? They beat me up & stole my clothes. Those men wanted to have sex with me!

[smile] Glad it was nothing like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great. I will say that if you went directly to court you might have avoided one second in custody. Once at the court with a lawyer and a BS charge the case would be dismissed with no jail cell. Same result less hassle.

Last edited:
The answer is that he was charged, which ends the statue of limitations. A warrant is good forever.
A 2003 failure to appear on a moving violation? I'm sure you were going at least 100mph in your tricked out Honda.
I am so relieved the system refused to release a firearm to such a dangerous offender.
I am sleeping a lot better tonight.

Back
Top Bottom