Frog Lube. Any Users?

I like Ballistol, myself.

I do too, but isn't that for cleaning? I didn't know you could use it for lube. I love CLP. I have a small thing of Frog Lube but don't use it much at all.

I won't touch it because I can't stand their social media strategy and claims.
That story on their web site about how the ex SEAL invented it? Lots of reports on the web say that it is simply repackaged Track Lube Plus, a grease for roller coasters.

http://www.tracklubeplus.com/

But if you want to pay a lot more to get it in much smaller quantities labeled Frog Lube, go right ahead. Me? I mostly use Mobil 1 or any other synthetic motor oil I happen to have lying around.

Have a read here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?93495-FrogLube-behind-the-scenes-at-a-glance

Interesting.

Rollercoaster lube, that's badass. I bet it isn't rape price like FL is. GB?

Last edited:
I bought frog lube a couple months ago, haven't used it yet. Tried toad lube but when i would rub the toad on the slide i kept ripping there legs off on the rear sight.

Well I figured CLP works for the military for several decades. And it works for me. But regardless, if you don't perform maintenance on your equipment regularly, it won't matter what magical gunk you got tricked into buying it'll all going to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You clearly don't have anywhere near enough if every one of your guns sees range time every 2-3 months :)

Of course not. You can never have to many. Im just lucky to be in about a 15-20min drive to about 5 different ranges. So sometimes i get to go 2-3 times a week. :)

It is good on sponge metal I hear.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Been hearing a lot about this stuff so decided to give it a try. Picked up a new 1911 few weeks ago and figured that would be the perfect test subject. First impressions have been good so far. Smells like wintergreen so no chemical smells. Also all natural so very safe for the skin as well. Ive had some other clps eat right through latex gloves. The first application is a bit time consuming due to the heating required to "season" the gun. After 50rnds(gun ran like hot knife on butter) I just did a quick wipe down and just about everything came off so easily I didn't need to use any additional clp to free up anything. Couple swabs through the barrel and that was spotless as well. I decided to heat my slide up to see if this product does what it was intended to. Which is to self clean and lube the gun as its shoots. When it warms up its releases oil from the pores of the metal. After about 2secs with a blast from the heat gun I could see the oil reappear on the surface. At that point I was sold on it. So last night I cleaned the rest of my firearms along with a friend and a few of his. Right away we both agreed that even on the old used dirty guns they felt brand new afterwords and a smoother action then ever before. Now just for the range test.

Anyone else out there using this? Thoughts on it? Im starting to recommend it to all my shooting buddies now.

Go home carnie, you're drunk. Peddle your track lube somewhere else

two-carnies.jpg

I use the Breakfree CLP. I stored my 1911 in my safe for 5 months....took it to the range last week and it worked flawlessly without applying any more before shooting.

Sent while wearing nothing but my tiny red wrestling tights.

You can always make your own.

2-Quarts Synthetic Motor Oil. We used 10-30 but weight ain't really important.
*1-Quart Automatic Transmission Fluid. Brand and spec. don't matter.
*1-Bottle of original STP. The blue bottle.
*1-7 oz. jar of Hoppe's Solvent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been shooting for well over 30 years and have tried a lot of lubes. My favorite was "Break Free". When the price got to $6 for four oz at the local gun store, I decided to cut my costs. I have been using synthetic motor oil for about ten years. It is not better than "Break Free" but I find it is just as good. When you think about it, the inside of an internal combustion engine is a much more hostile environment that most, if not all, firearms so synthetic oil is almost "overkill". Save your money; a quart of synthetic can be had for $10 or less and will last a long time. Save your $, sit back and enjoy the show that these BS frog merchants put on, but don't give them any money.

RemOil on my modern guns, old fashioned CLP on my milsurps. I've also heard about FrogLube gelling up, which concerns me.

I put RemOil through it's paces in the shithole that is Iraq. It's a dry lube so dust doesn't stick. CLP on milsurps because it's what was meant to be used. I would go old fashioned and just used old motor oil, but I'm not quite that hardcore that I want carcinogens on my skin.

Hoppes #9 for cleaning, with the occasional copper solvent.

I do too, but isn't that for cleaning? I didn't know you could use it for lube. I love CLP. I have a small thing of Frog Lube but don't use it much at all.

If you read up on what Ballistol can be used for, it sounds like one of those old snake-oil sales pitches.

Ballistol can be used to clean, lube, and protect. It can disinfect wounds. Heartburn? Indigestion? Just want to get tore-up? You can drink it.* It will store long term. It's used in industrial settings to clean parts that will come into contact with food. It's safe on most plastics (all gun plastics for sure), wood, leather, metal.

http://www.ballistol.de/files/ballistol_story__englisch.pdf

*I have not actually tried this, but it's apparently true!

I would go old fashioned and just used old motor oil, but I'm not quite that hardcore that I want carcinogens on my skin.

I don't use used motor oil. I use new motor oil. From what little I've read, it is used motor oil that is carcinogenic, not new motor oil. And at $10/quart, it is pretty hard to beat the price.

I don't use used motor oil. I use new motor oil. From what little I've read, it is used motor oil that is carcinogenic, not new motor oil. And at $10/quart, it is pretty hard to beat the price.

Yes, I'm not sure new motor oil is the best thing to get on your skin, but used motor oil is much worse. My problem with motor oil is it migrates away from where it's supposed to be too easily. Motor oil in its intended environment is spray, splashed or pumped to where it's supposed to be. It's not expected to just stay there. Therefore, at least for pistols, I like some form of grease or paste.

Here's where I out myself: I tried Froglube (gasp!). Someone gave me some so I figured it was worth a try. It was the paste. It was easy to apply, didn't smell bad and seemed to do what it was supposed to do. I had no problems with my guns instantly rusting, jamming or exploding. As far as cost, the stuff isn't any worst than any of the other greases marketed for guns. That said, I agree that their marketing is pretty annoying and I don't really care if a SEAL developed it. I'd rather hear that some mechanical engineers and chemists developed it. On the other hand, if it really is the same as that stuff for carnival rides, I'd imagine there are some pretty major sheer forces involved so maybe that's not a bad endorsement (*shrug*).

I've also tired Militec 1 grease which is petroleum based and I thought that stuff sucked. It was hard to clean and at least when cold, caused cycling problems with some of my guns (a SIG X5 in particular).

Finally, the one I really like is TW25b which is what SIG used to put in the case when you bought a new gun. It's easy to apply, clean up and is implicitly endorsed by SIG. On the other hand, it's expensive.

People seem to over think this stuff.

I thought that's why a motor oil / ATF mix was supposed to be good? The ATF gives it greater viscosity or somesuch to help it stay put.

Most ATF's are a 5w or 10w oil. They would decrease viscosity if anything.

I fell for the ballistol koolaid at one point. Now, I don't trust it. One of it's claims to fame is its emulsification with water. Why would I trust an oil that readily mixes with water (and logically moisture in the air)?

I thought that's why a motor oil / ATF mix was supposed to be good? The ATF gives it greater viscosity or somesuch to help it stay put.

Most ATF's are a 5w or 10w oil. They would decrease viscosity if anything.

I fell for the ballistol koolaid at one point. Now, I don't trust it. One of it's claims to fame is its emulsification with water. Why would I trust an oil that readily mixes with water (and logically moisture in the air)?

I'm not going to act like the disciples of Frog Lube, but my limited understanding is that even emulsified with water Ballistol still does its thing WRT inhibiting corrosion. I'm no scientist, though.

Frog lube seems to work for my guns. No complaints yet. Haven't had the peanut butter effect that someone wrote about earlier. I think I like it best because its non toxic. I usually have little ones running around while I'm cleaning after a shoot, some times they even help pull patches.

I have been using it for about a year and a half.

I am SOLD on it 100%

Most people that have problems with it, do NOT follow the directions correctly.

Guns clean up much easier after continued use!!!!

Non-toxic! I have young kids & a dog, so I like that it is non-toxic and

The wife does not mind the smell in the house unlike Hoppe's #9

I only use Frog Lube & I highly recommend it!!!

Roughly 20 years ago I was assigned to maintain ALL the weapons for my Department; I really wish I had Frog Lube back then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0-DBH9PISM

Last edited:
Costs a lot, works great short term. Leave it on a gun for a few months then pull that gun out of the safe and let me know how you like it. Thickens up like fricken peanut butter. Skip the hype and use a cheap lube. My $.02.

Never happened to me, sounds like user error.

Back
Top Bottom