Frog Lube. Any Users?

If Frog Lube is thickening up (after months of being in the safe) I'm guessing the weapon wasn't wiped down properly after application. I've been using FL for about a year and think it works well. Better than other products? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact that it has a dual purpose (protects & lubricates) and is non toxic and not nearly as noxious as other solvents is the selling point for me. Just be sure to adhere to the instructions and consider purchasing a cheap heat gun for application.

I use it on my piston AR and my glocks. Works great. After range trips I wipe it down. every few cleanings I really scrub and reapply. I like it. 4oz paste and liquid will last a while

I use it as my main CLP.

Being a Mechanic I tend to be exposed to a lot of chemicals. I use PPE whenever I can. However I still get "exposed" to things.

I like how it's a "safer" product chemically. I still use gloves when using it but I worry less about it.

It also seems to work very well and smells nice to boot.

I got some for free. Going to try it in a finicky AR. I will post results from a low post count new account in multi color font.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Some lubes are designed to lube and some are designed to part customers from their money. This product is the latter of the two. Synthetic motor oil is designed to handle much more extreme conditions than this stuff, lubricate better than this stuff, last longer than this stuff, will cost you pennies on the dollar compared to this stuff, and in every unit of measure is superior to this stuff.

But if you like to be parted with your money - buy frog lube. I'll stick to Mobile1 5W30 for lube and silicone spray for the finish and rust preventative. You can use non chlorinated brake clean in lieu of gun scrubber too - unless you like spending money on that as well...

Yes, I'm not sure new motor oil is the best thing to get on your skin, but used motor oil is much worse. My problem with motor oil is it migrates away from where it's supposed to be too easily. Motor oil in its intended environment is spray, splashed or pumped to where it's supposed to be. It's not expected to just stay there. Therefore, at least for pistols, I like some form of grease or paste.

Here's where I out myself: I tried Froglube (gasp!). Someone gave me some so I figured it was worth a try. It was the paste. It was easy to apply, didn't smell bad and seemed to do what it was supposed to do. I had no problems with my guns instantly rusting, jamming or exploding. As far as cost, the stuff isn't any worst than any of the other greases marketed for guns. That said, I agree that their marketing is pretty annoying and I don't really care if a SEAL developed it. I'd rather hear that some mechanical engineers and chemists developed it. On the other hand, if it really is the same as that stuff for carnival rides, I'd imagine there are some pretty major sheer forces involved so maybe that's not a bad endorsement (*shrug*).

I've also tired Militec 1 grease which is petroleum based and I thought that stuff sucked. It was hard to clean and at least when cold, caused cycling problems with some of my guns (a SIG X5 in particular).

Finally, the one I really like is TW25b which is what SIG used to put in the case when you bought a new gun. It's easy to apply, clean up and is implicitly endorsed by SIG. On the other hand, it's expensive.

People seem to over think this stuff.

Synthetic motor oil has an affinity for metal and tends to stay where you put it. I must also add that I have never experienced any oil "migrating away" from where I put it. This stuff does the same job for a lot less $.

i bought a little $1 tester squeeze tube at four seasons. The stuff goes on so thin that i've lubed my pistol 5 times and my ar once and the tube is 2/3 full.

A little goes a long way. I bought my Frog Lube kit from Amazon a little over a year and a half ago. I shoot a few times a month, use it on all of my guns.... And I have only used about half of what I originally bought.

It you like Hoppe, Baristol, BreakFree or Motor Oil.... "Good For You!" use what ever you like... for me I'll stick with Frog Lube... It works "better" for me!

What is the payout for a positive Frog goop review on an internet forum? Do they factor in post view count?

I wouldn't worry about the payout since your saving thousands by using Motor Oil.

Really???Does it matter how much money you save depending on what type of lube you use for any gun, everyone acts like your saving an ass load of money by using motor oil instead of a specialty lube???. For the amount the average person uses i cant imagine the saving is even noticeable, It's retarted.

Oh boy, better watch my spending this month and get some 10w-30!!!! PLEASE!!!

Last edited:
Frog Lube sucks when temps get below freezing.

Just my opinion, though.

Again, never had this issue, not sure where these things come from. ??

Is that your opinion or someone elses opinion cause they love motor oil and never tried anything else.???

Just another BS'er hating frog lube cause he's afraid something might be better than what he currently uses, or has an affinity for.
Personally I think people think it's "cool" to use motor oil on their guns, it just sounds so manly and out of the ordinary so it must be good.

I'm also gonna go out on a long thin limb and say that the Military probably swears by it because it's the most readily available lube on the battlefield. Does it work, sure??, is it ideal, doubt it??

Last edited:
I got some for free. Going to try it in a finicky AR. I will post results from a low post count new account in multi color font.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
HAhaha

Is that your opinion or someone elses opinion cause they love motor oil and never tried anything else.???

Just another BS'er hating frog lube cause he's afraid something might be better than what he currently uses, or has an affinity for.
Personally I think people think it's "cool" to use motor oil on their guns, it just sounds so manly and out of the ordinary so it must be good.

So, how much does a 941-post count review payout?

Enos Slide Guide does it for me.

Lucas Oil's Red n Tacky as well as Mobil 1 Synthetic grease both seem almost exactly like Slide Glide. Works great for the high friction/pressure areas.

Just about any synthetic oil seems to work well on the pivoting bits. I've used Rotella's synthetic, it works well. I figure engine oil holds up to the pressure and heat in an engine, probably do pretty decent in a gun. Wife started using Mpro-7's cleaning stuff since it doesn't "smell bad" and she picked up their oil as well, seems to work fine in her M&P.

I'm also gonna go out on a long thin limb and say that the Military probably swears by it because it's the most readily available lube on the battlefield. Does it work, sure??, is it ideal, doubt it??

A friend who was all awe-struck by Froglube, applied it to my M9. He followed the directions. It worked pretty slick. Big deal; it worked slick with any other lube I used on it.
Then Winter came. Super sluggish.
Just cause you never had a problem with it doesn't mean I'm a liar.

I'm not defending use of motor oil because I don't use it. I hose everything down with Break-Free CLP. Personally, I don't want a lube where I have to worry about reading instructions about it, how it's applied, or take more than 30 seconds to do it.

Bottom line: froglube doesn't lube or protect my forearms any better than CLP.
Prove otherwise.

You don't know me, so don't be calling me a BS'er.

I wouldn't worry about the payout since your saving thousands by using Motor Oil.

Really???Does it matter how much money you save depending on what type of lube you use for any gun, everyone acts like your saving an ass load of money by using motor oil instead of a specialty lube???. For the amount the average person uses i cant imagine the saving is even noticeable, It's retarted.

Oh boy, better watch my spending this month and get some 10w-30!!!! PLEASE!!!

Obviously you don't shoot very much. Try 30,000 rounds a year and you will be looking for any way to save some $.

I'm not defending use of motor oil because I don't use it.

line: froglube doesn't lube or protect my forearms any better than CLP.
Prove otherwise.

]

I hate it when my forearms aren't protected. LOL.

NOTE I am the worlds worst speller I just laughed when I read that.

On another note.

I find it odd how the motor oil has to be synthetic? I would think Plain oil would work just as well.
Yet people pick on frog lube users for getting their money "fleeced".

Again I use frog lube for various reasons. No it's not the end all be all but there are things about it I like. Thus I use it. I have had good results thus far.

To motor oil guys mix ATF when cleaning. ATF has a very high amount of detergents in it it will help clean your guns for you.

I don't use used motor oil. I use new motor oil. From what little I've read, it is used motor oil that is carcinogenic, not new motor oil. And at $10/quart, it is pretty hard to beat the price.
You do know I was kidding, based on those who seemed to be complaining about the cost of gun lubes.

For those who do like and use Froglube. Stateline Gun shop in Mason NH has the paste and CLP Liquid, price isn't to bad
8oz paste is 20, 4oz liquid 18.

Back
Top Bottom