• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Garand question

Yep. If I can post a target better than 1.5 MOA, even shooting well supported from bench with zero wind, it would be sheer luck even through the Krieger barrel. I would seriously doubt anyone claiming to shoot 1 MOA with a CMP legal Garand. I doubt it's possible with iron sights and probably not even with a scope. 'Seriously doubt' is a nice way of saying it would be complete BS.

Again, 4" group is fine.
The issued scopes where not that great.
2.5x on the C and i think USMC used 4x on the M1d.
Only advantage to these scopes where helping seeing target a bit better.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmiVuP_GXzA

Yeah, I figured the optics would not be great by today’s standards. Optical design programs such as Code V and Zemax combined with interferometers, have upped the game when it comes to optics.

My final question is about the brass. The front of the brass comes out fairly deformed. I will post pics later, but I have never noticed this on my other rifles.

Sorry for the question...I just want to make sure it is in good working order and to learn.

Yeah, I figured the optics would not be great by today’s standards. Optical design programs such as Code V and Zemax combined with interferometers, have upped the game when it comes to optics.

My final question is about the brass. The front of the brass comes out fairly deformed. I will post pics later, but I have never noticed this on my other rifles.

Sorry for the question...I just want to make sure it is in good working order and to learn.
its a violent life for brass out M1/M14 and other rifles
watch how it bonces of op rods , rear sights and such

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vKFgj7WhNo

The ejection of the enbloc is the money shot...!

If you ended up with a mostly matching M1, it's good to keep as-is. Very rarely are they all original, but it could be as-is from an arsenal rebuild many moons ago.

A good way to go for a match build is to get a Field Grade from CMP, $650...

Personally, I would consider both of these pieces of advice. Just because it’s a field grade, doesn’t mean it’s not a great historic example. I picked up a Field Grade 1943 Springfield from the CMP North store with all 1943 parts (except for a 1950s barrel), just a few years ago. No way would I use it as a base for a match gun.

Also, for the OP, 4” @ 100 with an old surplus Garand and random ammo is good. Anything better from the bench should be a pleasant surprise rather than an expectation.

Back
Top Bottom