Gentle reminder. A duty to carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm not suggesting that at all, but what I am suggesting, is if a bunch of durkas shoot up a mall or whatever, a lot of people are dying, whether or not there are are a handful of guys with pistols hanging around isn't going to make much of a difference. You can argue that it'll probably help you get out of the mall, I can buy that... Not to mention out of these people with handguns, if they have their spouse and or kids in tow, they're going to NOPE themselves right the **** out of that place unless the action is unfolding literally in front of them... they're not going to abandon their family while they go running around in the mall playing durka hunter. Having a gun is a GREAT idea but most of these pieces like in the OP are written with this implied rambo overtone that somehow or another a handful of uncoordinated guys with pistols is going to be some kind of a game changer in terms of the outcome of the whole event, if we're talking a bunch of drugged up durkas with AKs, 10 mags apiece, grenades, and in a worst case, some kind of armor or plate carriers.

Granted, not every threat is at that level (for example, the two morons that tried to attack that museum in TX showing the anti-muzzie art) and simply carrying a handgun becomes a lot more valuable, but we're fooling ourselves if we think that most durka attacks in america are going to involve lone wolf types with sub-retard level IQs.

-Mike

The suicide vests scare me far more than the body armor or AK's. CCW is a tool and nothing more but it is still far better for me to arm myself than not given just about any conceivable terrorist situation. I have no delusions about saving the world or even a theater full of targets but myself and my wife? Yeah I would like to have every chance I can reasonably give myself to survive.

So can any one suggest a winter coat that I can wear over my SAPI plates? I only keep 6 mags and an IFAK on the carrier, so it shouldn't be to hard to conceal under a good coat.

So can any one suggest a winter coat that I can wear over my SAPI plates? I only keep 6 mags and an IFAK on the carrier, so it shouldn't be to hard to conceal under a good coat.

4B9npmR.jpg

FTW.

So can anyone suggest a good spray paint for use on clothing? Like a big stencil type of thing?

Ever since the Paris attacks every form of social media has been flooded with the fantasy band camp guys saying how this will never happen to them or if you don't carry you're a coward BS. Also you need to be able to beat shot timers and shoot from you're car window and all that jazz. I like the ones who crap on people for putting a French flag for support also. Tell you what if something like this kicks off while you are at the mall you are more likely to want to get the heck out like the rest of the people. Yes I carry. And yes I would still big out. I don't carry to fantasize about stopping crap like this from happening. It's to keep my family safe if I have to use it. You're more likely to get shot or shoot an innocent person if you go all John McLain on them.

The suicide vests scare me far more than the body armor or AK's. CCW is a tool and nothing more but it is still far better for me to arm myself than not given just about any conceivable terrorist situation. I have no delusions about saving the world or even a theater full of targets but myself and my wife? Yeah I would like to have every chance I can reasonably give myself to survive.

Suicide vests ARE the game changer.

When I carry, I carry for me and my wife. I'm not playing mall cop nor looking to be some sort of freaking hero. I can't afford the loss of funds defending myself in this effing state and we can all agree you ain't just going home.

Suicide vests ARE the game changer.

Unless you're packed in tight somewhere they seem to only kill the guy wearing it and maybe injure one or two others. It would suck to get splattered, or maybe a piece of shrapnel, but I'll take it over a rifle round.

For the past several years, I "usually" carried. Sometimes it was only "occasionally."

Now I ALWAYS carry, and have an extra mag, too. Always.

I usually carry a spare mag.... but always in Brockton... that place scares me more than durka terrorists do...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always disappointed watching those Liberian clips when the guys walking around don't have hyenas or large cats on chains by their side.

I like the ones who crap on people for putting a French flag for support also.

I don't so much have a problem with being cynical about this, and I will tell you why. First, Facebook creates an environment where they basically peer pressure you into adding the French Flag, the rainbow flag, etc,etc so everyone knows you are for - well, whatever the cause du jour is. You are othering yourself if you don't join in. Second, and much more important in my book, is that large swaths of the people I see shouting 'Solidarite!' are the same people who are vehemently opposed to taking military action against ISIS, are in favor of taking in refugees, etc.

If you want to fly a French flag, that's all well and good. But if you don't want to actually do anything to stop future attacks, it's hollow symbolism. Not at all unlike SNL's/NYC's faux show of solidarity - while remaining firmly behind the politicians that both allowed these groups to rise and continue to deny that they present a threat to any of us.

To be horrified, and filled with compassion for the victims of these attacks like these is normal. But let's not pretend a symbol is the same as action. ISIS saw through the hollow Je suis Charlie signs and took the opportunity to stage a bigger attack.

Last edited:
I carry if I get a free shot at one I'd take it but I'm not going to do much in a head on fight with 30 rounds of 9 in my glock

This. I hate to break it to people, but if durkas pull a mumbai here, a lot of people are dying, guns or no guns around. When an adversary doesn't give a shit about dying, it makes them 10 times as dangerous. -Mike
This...

Also the reason most of us carry is the traditional one: personal protection against criminally armed assailants who have threatened us with bodily harm or loss of life in the course of robbery or sexual assault. The idea of taking on a group of highly trained and well armed terrorists fuels the imaginations of wannabes and armchair commandos.

Having a gun is going to stop them? Case in point: the Tsarnaev brothers were surrounded by dozens of well armed police yet carried out their mission and escaped.

There may be a time and place where the individual armed citizen will thwart a terrorist attack. To the best of my knowledge that day has not come yet.

A group of unarmed citizens thwarted a terrorist attack in one of the greatest acts of courage and sacrifice in the annals of American History: Flight 93 11 Sept 2001, Shanksville, PA. The embodiment of the unorganized militia in the 21st Century.

There is a time and place but for the Average Joe it's probably not going to be at the Mall with his 5 shot j frame or LCP. First obligation is to self and loved ones especially if faced with superior firepower and overwhelming odds. People fight like they train and most of us simply don't have the training to deal with that kind of a threat.

Last edited:
First order of business is GTFO.
If the pistol facilitates that , great.
Now if they want to take to open street fighting , we can play "Say hello to my little friend."

Granted, I likely don't have the training you do. Granted, I might not have the speed, agility, ability or grace under pressure that you or your students have.

It would still be really ****ing nice to have a gun in that concert hall as they executed people one by one.

Even if I violated every single doctrine, ****ed up beyond belief, made every mistake in the book, and even made some mistakes that aren't in the book yet, accidentally shot myself and the guy next to me, I'd still have a few bullets left to send down range before I was executed. Just saying.

Excellent point! Training is always a good idea, but since it's a perishable skill, you aren't going to be on top of your game 100% unless you carry a gun for your job AND train constantly. The simple fact is that having the ability to NOT be a total victim is still an advantage, even if you aren't a pro "gunfighter"...

I am annoyed that I can't carry legally a loaded handgun at least in my locked glove box. This way I could disarm myself when I can't carry. But as we all know MA case law does not allow a loaded handgun to be stored in a car unattended. It annoys me because I can only really carry on weekends and days off.

No, I'm not suggesting that at all, but what I am suggesting, is if a bunch of durkas shoot up a mall or whatever, a lot of people are dying, whether or not there are are a handful of guys with pistols hanging around isn't going to make much of a difference.

I hate to say it, but I became consciously aware of this playing PvP in WoW. 90% + of the time, the attacker wins. Why? They choose the location of the attack, the method of attacking, who to attack, and when to attack. If we assume that a person with all of those advantages is also smart enough to choose a target they believe they can destroy, it provides little opportunity for the target to win. And if we are honest with ourselves, the personal mythology many of us entertain that when TSHTF we will become Chow Yun Fat or some other movie badass doesn't really do us any favors.

And yeah, the fact that your enemy doesn't care if they die is a disadvantage to you.

Sun Tzu probably had a few things to say about this too.

- - - Updated - - -

I am annoyed that I can't carry legally a loaded handgun at least in my locked glove box. This way I could disarm myself when I can't carry. But as we all know MA case law does not allow a loaded handgun to be stored in a car unattended. It annoys me because I can only really carry on weekends and days off.

Yeah, this morning I was fantasizing about why my building doesn't have an armory in the lobby so I could check my gun when I enter the building and get it back when I leave. It's all terribly uncivilized going around unarmed.

I'll be honest. After the attack I went out and bought some bigger sweatshirts. Peashooters aren't going to cut it anymore. The wife took interest in the LCR-357 and has been packing it lately.

I'll be honest. After the attack I went out and bought some bigger sweatshirts. Peashooters aren't going to cut it anymore. The wife took interest in the LCR-357 and has been packing it lately.

IMHO .380 and 9mm are warm weather or light shirt wear guns only. Sure the follow/double ups are faster but a well placed heavy round is better. Winter wear is .40/.45 for me.

Who makes an iwb with retention for a 1911 lefty? I don't care to use a crossbreed for it.

Who makes an iwb with retention for a 1911 lefty? I don't care to use a crossbreed for it.

I use a SuperTuck. A full-sized 1911 is massive for CCW, but it's actually pretty comfortable when you are up and around. Not so much when sitting or driving.

IMHO .380 and 9mm are warm weather or light shirt wear guns only. Sure the follow/double ups are faster but a well placed heavy round is better. Winter wear is .40/.45 for me.

I went out to the malls on Saturday and took enough for the whole family, G19, 1911, Bodyguard and SR22, all the weapons each of them can handle well, along with 2 or 3 mags for each.... I felt heavy.

You never let a serious crisis go to waste

Run a full page ad in the Globe:

ATTENTION

Subjects of Massachusetts

We the undersigned concealed carry license holders
pledge never to use our weapons
to defend you or your loved ones
during a crime or mass casualty attack
until the Legislature eliminates
all criminal and civil liability
for acts of in defense of innocent life;
especially forbidding defenders' arrest, indictment,
suit, confiscation of arms and loss of rights.

[Gather so many petition names that they have to use 0-point type and they're all just a gray blur].
P. S. If you now wish to assume responsibility for your own lives,
contact your nearest gun owner for information on how to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom