• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting into reloading finally

DJBrad

NES Member
As some of you know very well I have spent plenty of dough on commercial ammunition over the years. I’ve been collecting all that brass and by the way things are looking I will prefer to put that brass to good use. I’m even going to reload x39 brass as I’ve got a bit of it.

I’m currently collecting parts for a reloading room and sky’s the limit. For starters I’m looking at 2 single stage presses at the moment: the RCBS rock chucker and the RCBS Rebel Master. Is there any palpable difference between the two? Right now the Rebel is $50 cheaper than the Rock. I’ve got shell holders, die sets, and crimpers on standby as well which should fit both. A progressive press will come later for such calibers as 9 and 45. Right now I want to get rifle calibers and straight wall magnums going as it’s very hard to find affordable stuff like 6.5cr and 44mag.

As some of you know very well I have spent plenty of dough on commercial ammunition over the years. I’ve been collecting all that brass and by the way things are looking I will prefer to put that brass to good use. I’m even going to reload x39 brass as I’ve got a bit of it.

I’m currently collecting parts for a reloading room and sky’s the limit. For starters I’m looking at 2 single stage presses at the moment: the RCBS rock chucker and the RCBS Rebel Master. Is there any palpable difference between the two? Right now the Rebel is $50 cheaper than the Rock. I’ve got shell holders, die sets, and crimpers on standby as well which should fit both. A progressive press will come later for such calibers as 9 and 45. Right now I want to get rifle calibers and straight wall magnums going as it’s very hard to find affordable stuff like 6.5cr and 44mag.
Pre wu flu / Biden debacle, Gun Parlor actually had decent prices for 223 match ammo. Stopped by during lunch today- $40 for Winchester match. Nope! Better for us to brew our own.

Reach out for loads or any other questions. Also I'm well stocked for Large Pistol Magnum primers and glad to trade some for other primer types.

Wow! No way. Glad to hear you want to jump into reloading![thumbsup]

Not to sound like a broken record as I said the same thing in another reloading thread today 😂 but find primers!! Powder and bullets aren’t difficult to get really. Although lately getting jacketed 44 cal bullets might be tough -at least for a decent price anyway. You can get Hornady 240 gr XTPs on occasion from Larry and other sites.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Rockchucker. Reloading guru/instructor/NES mod eddiecoyle recommends the Rockchucker in one of his reloading articles.

Wow! No way. Glad to hear you want to jump into reloading![thumbsup]

Not to sound like a broken record as I said the same thing in another reloading thread today 😂 but find primers!! Powder and bullets aren’t difficult to get really. Although lately getting jacketed 44 cal bullets might be tough -at least for a decent price anyway. You can get Hornady 240 gr XTPs on occasion from Larry and other sites.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Rockchucker. Reloading guru/instructor eddiecoyle recommends the Rockchucker in one of his reloading articles.
You are so right about primers. Was shooting with a fellow Nes’r today who has a connection to small pistols primers. Of course for 6.5 I’ll need large rifle and any .223/5.56 I wanna do I can use those small pistol primers. 44mag of course needs large pistol, another animal altogether. I’m not disappointed in starting late because I was aggressive over the years in finding deals and stocking up the commercial stuff but at this point I need to learn to roll my own.

It seems the Rebel is a little more robust, no? The listing I was looking at on Midway stated it was a heavier cast than the Rock. The parts included seem to be the same. I will check out EC’s thread.

Last edited:
You are so right about primers. Was shooting with a fellow Nes’r today who has a connection to small pistols primers. Of course for 6.5 I’ll need large rifle and any .223/5.56 I wanna do I can use those small pistol primers. 44mag of course needs large pistol, another animal altogether. I’m not disappointed in starting late because I was aggressive over the years in finding deals and stocking up the commercial stuff but at this point t I need to roll learn to my own.

It seems the Rebel is a little more robust, no? The listing I was looking at on Midway stated it was a heavier cast than the Rock. The parts included seem to be the same. I will check out EC’s thread.
I’ve used small rifle primers in lieu of small pistol primers, but not the other way around unless maybe you’re just loading for a bolt gun? Problem being, the pressures for rifle rounds are much high and the cup thickness of the pistol primers can be insufficient. This can mean a ‘pierced’ primer and also increased the possibility of a runaway gun if you’re loading for a semi-auto with a floating firing pin.

P.S. I started with a rock Chucker, and I still have mine and use it just as much as my progressives if that tells you anything?

I’ve used small rifle primers in lieu of small pistol primers, but not the other way around unless maybe you’re just loading for a bolt gun? Problem being, the pressures for rifle rounds are much high and the cup thickness of the pistol primers can be insufficient. This can mean a ‘pierced’ primer and also increased the possibility of a runaway gun if you’re loading for a semi-auto with a floating firing pin.

P.S. I started with a rock Chucker, and I still have mine and use it just as much as my progressives if that tells you anything?
That says a lot, thnx bro. I have about 12k 22lr coming so look out on your doorstep.

J/k 😆

That says a lot, thnx bro. I have about 12k 22lr coming so look out on your doorstep.

J/k 😆
I was a little freaked out there for a second because I didn’t remember giving you my address!

Seriously though...feel free to use/abuse the offer. I’m trying to freak out my old lady and my mailman into thinking that I’m starting a war.

And definitely welcome to the reloading club! The learning curve is pretty steep, but if you enjoy it as much as the rest of us, it’ll become a hobby within a hobby for you. While you’re waiting to find primers, there’s enough reading out there to keep you busy until the end of time on the subject. My advice would be to buy two or three reloading manuals because they’ll be good to have down the road to cross reference loads, and they also usually always have some basic lessons and articles in the front pages that will give you a head start whether or not you ever end up taking an actual ‘class’.

I can honestly tell you that I didn’t LEARN a lot at the class I took at GOAL with Jim, but it reinforced and put a visual/hands on aspect to things I had already read and learned...so for that it was probably still worth the fee of admission along with the class materials that you get to take home.

I was a little freaked out there for a second because I didn’t remember giving you my address!

Seriously though...feel free to use/abuse the offer. I’m trying to freak out my old lady and my mailman into thinking that I’m starting a war.

And definitely welcome to the reloading club! The learning curve is pretty steep, but if you enjoy it as much as the rest of us, it’ll become a hobby within a hobby for you. While you’re waiting to find primers, there’s enough reading out there to keep you busy until the end of time on the subject. My advice would be to buy two or three reloading manuals because they’ll be good to have down the road to cross reference loads, and they also usually always have some basic lessons and articles in the front pages that will give you a head start whether or not you ever end up taking an actual ‘class’.

I can honestly tell you that I didn’t LEARN a lot at the class I took at GOAL with Jim, but it reinforced and put a visual/hands on aspect to things I had already read and learned...so for that it was probably still worth the fee of admission along with the class materials that you get to take home.
Ya the hands on was great. I’m a very visual/hands on person (ADD don’t help lol) when it comes to learning.

You are so right about primers. Was shooting with a fellow Nes’r today who has a connection to small pistols primers. Of course for 6.5 I’ll need large rifle and any .223/5.56 I wanna do I can use those small pistol primers. 44mag of course needs large pistol, another animal altogether. I’m not disappointed in starting late because I was aggressive over the years in finding deals and stocking up the commercial stuff but at this point I need to learn to roll my own.

6.5 can be large or small rifle primers depending on the brass manufacturer. Though I’m sure all of your factory 6.5 is large.
Do not use pistol primers for rifle loads.
I can PM you some vendors for brass, bullets, powder etc.

You can’t go wrong rolling your own. I started with a turret press. I like the flexibility of using it as either a single stage or in turret mode. I added some accessories that get to between 200-300 rds./hr depending on caliber. Thought I would buy a progressive, but this output is good for now. the

I’m currently collecting parts for a reloading room and sky’s the limit.

And eventually........

You can’t go wrong rolling your own. I started with a turret press. I like the flexibility of using it as either a single stage or in turret mode. I added some accessories that get to between 200-300 rds./hr depending on caliber. Thought I would buy a progressive, but this output is good for now. the
I keep doing the same thing. Every time I find myself with a few bucks to spend I say now its time for a 650/750 ……then I buy more bullets/primers/powder

I started with a Lee single stage to get comfortable and to take my time until things were REALLY understood. Then I went the "buy once, cry once" route of a Dillon XL650 (now the 750). There are lots of accessories you need along the way.
Primer pickup tubes
Primer flip tray
Micrometer
Digital scale
Primers
Powder
Cases
Bullets
Loading trays
Case prep tooling for rifle when you get to that, assuming you are starting with handgun loads at first.
Loading Manual(s)
You will find it is a hobby unto its own and the main reason I go to the range is to generate empty cases for reloading :)

The rebel is supposed to replace the rock chucker model.
The rebel is taller and for the most part a larger opening.
Which would account for more weight ?
The single state press is hard to beat theres several models out there. I have the Hornady 007 which IIRC is the older pacific press?
I also have a lee classic cast which is on loan to a good friend.

The rebel is supposed to replace the rock chucker model.
The rebel is taller and for the most part a larger opening.
Which would account for more weight ?
The single state press is hard to beat theres several models out there. I have the Hornady 007 which IIRC is the older pacific press?
I also have a lee classic cast which is on loan to a good friend.
Since it would be a new purchase and experience I guess it doesn’t matter too much which one I buy then. After much use I would probably form a better opinion but as you state it’s hard to beat a single stage press and it seems the major players all make great presses that last a lifetime.

Since it would be a new purchase and experience I guess it doesn’t matter too much which one I buy then. After much use I would probably form a better opinion but as you state it’s hard to beat a single stage press and it seems the major players all make great presses that last a lifetime.

D
I have a Lyman Ideal C collecting dust you are more than welcome to have to get you started down the reloading path (RAT/$$$$ HOLE) [rofl]

Last edited:
Starting down the same rat hole myself.
Thanks to the geopolitical situation and the never ending exhortations of places like this.
Not to mention the good folks here at NES and elswhere.
500 rounds once fired brass. ✔
1000 primers. ✔
Lee single stage press.✔

Need powder, projectiles, scale, dies, manuals, and misc.

So almost there🤣

Starting down the same rat hole myself.
Thanks to the geopolitical situation and the never ending exhortations of places like this.
Not to mention the good folks here at NES and elswhere.
500 rounds once fired brass. ✔
1000 primers. ✔
Lee single stage press.✔

Need powder, projectiles, scale, dies, manuals, and misc.

So almost there🤣

Let me know what you need. Maybe I can help.

I ordered some .308 match brass from Starline back in March. Still don't have it!

I did get some 9mm brass from them, however, after a wait of 3 months.

I ordered some .308 match brass from Starline back in March. Still don't have it!

I did get some 9mm brass from them, however, after a wait of 3 months.
9mm brass to reload? Who are you and what have you done with Rich?

Back
Top Bottom