Going snubby... LCR vs. SW 442

Which Snubby?

• Ruger LCR

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • Smith & Wesson 442

Votes: 61 62.2%

• Total voters
Long story short, I carried a M&P 40c since I got it when it first came out. A few things have happened over the years, I got sick of the bulk over the summer months, never got used to or proficient with .40 and I recently acquired a Glock 19 which I prefer over it.

With that now been said, I'm getting rid of the .40 all together and for the warmer months I'm considering a pocket revolver for a CCW. The two models I'm looking at are the Ruger LCR & the S&W 442. Both in .38Sp +P.

Can any of you who own one or both give some opinions on these two? Pros and Cons? Why you prefer one over the other or what made you choose one or the other?

I cannot offer a comparison of the two of them:

I only have the LCR 38spl/357 and I really like the trigger on it.

J-Frame triggers can be 'fixed'. Many don't bother because it's a relatively inexpensive gun, and not shot too frequently. It's nice to have one, in your pocket.

Can't speak for the 442, but after a slight adjustment to the recoil on the (.38) LCR I can say its a fantastic little revolver. The trigger is very smooth and the gun appears very accurate, especially for an average shooter like me.

I only have experience with the Ruger LCR. I added Crimson Trace laser grips for even less bulk. The trigger is outstanding out-of-the-box. I throw it in a Blackhawk lightweight #4 holster and it disappears in the pocket.
View attachment 68894

A friend of mine just offered to let me shoot his LCR tomorrow night. Looking forward to it. Looks like most of you lean towards the Ruger.

Both are great. The 442 does have a heavier trigger out of the box, but it is quite smooth and can be easily lightened. The bigger difference for me is that, despite the fact that the 442 feels better in my hand, the LCR is nicer to shoot. Especially with +P loads, the shock seems to travel right through the 442's frame and into my hand, making it a markedly less pleasant experience. Try them both.....can't go wrong.

The S&W trigger gets smoother the more you dry fire it. A light trigger is not necessarily an asset on a CCW gun. Can't speak for the Ruger, but I am happy with my 642-1 (no lock).

I've shot both and prefer my 442. The sights track funny on the LCR (I'm assuming due to frame flex in recoil) and the trigger has a weird false reset. If you short stroke the reset on a j-frame, you just skip a chamber and pull the trigger again. If you do it on the LCR, it locks up until you fully release the trigger.

Wow based on these comments it looks like I'm buying whichever one is in stock...
Anyone seen either in LGS north of Boston? Prices would help to if you have. I'm expecting ~$400 for either one. Am I about right?

I had an LCR. I bought a 442 and sold the LCR. The stock LCR trigger is better out of the box. However, the LCR reset is really funky. There are multiple false resets unless you release it all the way. I was used to the S&W reset (I shot a 686SSR in IDPA for a year. I sold the LCR and bought an APEX j-frame trigger kit for the 442.

I have shot both and can attest the LCR has a good smooth trigger. However the buddy who lent me his 642 (stainless version of 442) recently spent an hour or so polishing the internals and adding a 2lb less trigger return spring. He let me shoot it again and it was night and day over the stock trigger. I think the spring and polishing compound cost $25 overall. Comparing them both now I'd pick his 642 over the LCR. Plus the history of the j-frames prove that they work well. My two cents.

I have the LCR .357 and love it. The trigger is very smooth but does have a "funky" reset, though its not a big deal to me since I haven't shot the S&W enough to get used to it. The grip is nicer on the LCR and absorbs the recoil pretty well, allowing for longer (comfortable) range time on it. The cylinder release is also much better on the LCR. Although the .357 is a little more money and slightly heavier its a great choice because it gives more flexibility with ammo choice. Also, the slightly heavier frame helps with the recoil a bit. Hope this helps!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I've experienced the .357 air weight first hand. No thank you. I can understand in a defensive situation it's fine but at the range? F' That. 38sp +P is just fine.

There are many different grips available for the J-Frame. Some are great at mitigating recoil and cushioning the webbing of your hand, between the thumb and forefinger. Crimson Trace makes one, albeit very expensive, that has great cushioning. Here:Crimson Trace Laser Sight LG-305 Lasergrips Smith & Wesson J-Frame - FREE SHIPPING ON ALL PRODUCTS! If you choose to go that route, you can order a J-Frame from the factory with the grips installed. I've seen used ones in the classifieds, here. There are many others to choose from.

I use .38 to practice, with an occasional cylinder full of +P. [smile]

I had a 442 and now have a LCR. It's a tuff choice.

The lcr has the ability change the sights, I have xs sights on so advantage lcr over 442 on that. The trigger is nice on the 442, crisp but heavy. The LCR trigger is smooth and lighter and I can shoot better with it. In my opinion the reset is a non issue because you don't shoot revolvers from reset, release the darn trigger, it's not a semi auto. I've never short stroked either.

The 442 is a smaller profile and fits better in a pocket, but the LCR is lighter. The 442 has more holster choices.

The 442 has that cool Humphrey Bogart look to it, the LCR more star wars.

The sights and trigger are why I have the LCR now. The LCR is more fun at the range, the 442 a little better for carry.

Last edited:
I had a 442 and now have a LCR. It's a tuff choice.

The lcr has the ability change the sights, I have xs sights on so advantage lcr over 442 on that. The trigger is nice on the 442, crisp but heavy. The LCR trigger is smooth and lighter and I can shoot better with it. In my opinion the reset is a non issue because you don't shoot revolvers from reset, release the darn trigger, it's not a semi auto. I've never short stroked either.

The 442 is a smaller profile and fits better in a pocket, but the LCR is lighter. The 442 has more holster choices.

The 442 has that cool Humphrey Bogart look to it, the LCR more star wars.

The sights and trigger are why I have the LCR now. The LCR is more fun at the range, the 442 a little better for carry.

The ability to change the front sight on the LCR is really nice. But the ability to improve the trigger on the S&W with Apex springs is nice too.

Also not important, I have Star Wars tattoos and I hate old movies...

Another vote for the LCR. I have the 38 version and it is very easy to shoot. The factory trigger is much better than the S&W. Plus I dislike unshrouded ejector rods on any of my revolvers, just my .02.

Back
Top Bottom