Gold and silver prices are down

Halves dated 1964 and earlier are 90% silver

That 1964 Kennedy half is the only 90% Kennedy half ever minted.

In 1964 the new silver Kennedy half dollars were introduced and contained a hefty 90% silver content.

The minimum value is $8.12 each.

These halves were released into circulation in huge numbers, to the total of over 429 million pieces. And importantly, quantities are still with us today as most were saved in remembrance of President Kennedy's assassination in 1963.

Source: Forgotten Silver Kennedy Half Dollars

Any bets on Monday? $25 seems like a top.... $7-8 premium for SE's

View attachment 377589

$25 or $26 is probably going to be a short-term top. I think we'll revisit $20-21 before breaking through $26 and off the races. Might take a few months.

Physical silver is another story, you'll never see $20 Silver Eagles again, imo. maybe not even $25.

Ponders what looks good....

Futures
5:59 PM ET 07/31/20

ENERGYLASTCHG% CHG
Crude Oil 40.43 0.16 0.40%
Brent Crude 43.71 0.19 0.44%
Natural Gas 1.816 0.017 0.94%
RBOB Gasoline 1.1779 0.0068 0.58%
Heating Oil 1.2301 0.0061 0.50%

METALSLASTCHG% CHG
Gold 1994.00 8.10 0.41%
Silver 24.630 0.414 1.71%
Copper 2.8595 -0.0085 -0.30%

AGRICULTURELASTCHG% CHG
Corn 315.00 -1.00 -0.32%
Wheat 530.75 -0.50 -0.09%
Soybeans 892.50 0.00 0.00%
Soybean Oil 30.75 -0.01 -0.03%
Soybean Meal 297.0 -0.3 -0.10%
Live Cattle 107.925 0.050 0.05%

CURRENCIESLASTCHG% CHG
Euro 1.1786 -0.0014 -0.11%
Yen 0.9447 -0.0012 -0.13%
Pound 1.3087 -0.0021 -0.16%
Australian Dollar 0.7145 -0.0002 -0.03%
Canadian Dollar 0.7458 -0.0014 -0.19%

That is a 90% pre-64 silver half. The "stealth silver" people selling "the secret" claim is still to be found in bank rolls is the 40% 65-70 stuff. It's clad, but still has silver in the outer cladding and the theory is people will think they are like other clad coins. The market figured this out LONG ago and finding such coins is a rarity.

It's like a nerd bedding a supermodel ... sure it happens, and you can probably find youtubers claiming it happened to them, but......

ps: You've got a good enough image for a latent print submission.
'
These are the halves everyone is after, right? I am not a numismatist. I don’t know much about coinage at all.
View attachment 377393View attachment 377394

Crazy to think of things one gold coin buys you now:
Sig MPX or Galil Ace
Katzkin Leather interior for my car
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 lens

Should bought more of these things when they were cheap.

Crazy to think of things one gold coin buys you now:
Sig MPX or Galil Ace
Katzkin Leather interior for my car
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 lens

Should bought more of these things when they were cheap.
[laugh]

ah the hindsight

I’m looking at a Mossberg 590 retrograde and I’m kicking myself as Jan. gold would have bought one now.

[laugh]

ah the hindsight

I’m looking at a Mossberg 590 retrograde and I’m kicking myself as Jan. gold would have bought one now.

I drained most of my savings to buy physical gold and silver and glad I did. I figured what good is having your savings in steadily declining dollars.

Even now I don't have much savings in dollars, I put everything in PMs or mining stocks. And guns and ammo. :)

FWIW, the wife (Cowgirlup) and I loaded up on silver when it was between $14 - $18

Glad we did.
But what we also did was to mix it up with the following:

- Silver Eagles (mostly this)
- Silver bars (1 oz and up to 10 oz)
- Valcambi Suisse silver sheets made up of (100) 100-gram mini bars that can be separated from each other
- Rolls of junk silver dimes & quarters (pre-64 coins that have more wear than collectible grade coins).
- Lesser grade barber quarters & liberty half dollars
- Decent grade Ben Franklins & Walking Liberties

IMHO, I think its good to have a mix of silver and not just one type of silver, especially
if things get so bad that we need to start bartering & trading for basic essentials.

Its also good to have a reliable digital scale to check the weight and a silver testing kit (there is fake stuff out there).

(Also, we both were fortunate enough to score some additional collections of older US silver collectible coins, from each of our fathers's coin-collections with some coinage going back to the 1800's - and - I'm very glad that I hung on to my silver coins I collected and bought back in the 70's before that era's silver jump).

Last edited:
FWIW, the wife (Cowgirlup) and I loaded up on silver when it was between $14 - $18

Glad we did.
But what we also did was to mix it up with the following:

- Silver Eagles (mostly this)
- Silver bars (1 oz and up to 10 oz)
- Valcambi Suisse silver sheets made up of (100) 100-gram mini bars that can be separated from each other
- Rolls of junk silver dimes & quarters (pre-64 coins that have more wear than collectible grade coins).
- Lesser grade barber quarters & liberty half dollars
- Decent grade Ben Franklins & Walking Liberties

IMHO, I think its good to have a mix of silver and not just one type of silver, especially
if things get so bad that we need to start bartering & trading for basic essentials.

Its also good to have a reliable digital scale to check the weight and a silver testing kit (there is fake stuff out there).

(Also, we both were fortunate enough to score some additional collections of older US silver collectible coins, from each of our fathers's coin-collections with some coinage going back to the 1800's - and - I'm very glad that I hung on to my silver coins I collected and bought back in the 70's before that era's silver jump).
You and your wife are a well prepared family.

What a fitting video to reflect my post and this thread with the Apmex plug on eagles and a 590A1 lol

View: https://youtu.be/rV1HvMza4Vo
That’s funny, I was watching that video and a bunch of others yesterday after you posted about wanting a Retrograde. Now I want one. [laugh] Have you seen any locally or recommend someplace else for one. North shore Ma.

That’s funny, I was watching that video and a bunch of others yesterday after you posted about wanting a Retrograde. Now I want one. [laugh] Have you seen any locally or recommend someplace else for one. North shore Ma.
Prices are from $1000 on up to $1400. They’ve pretty much doubled to tripled since early this year. You find them on GB mainly. I have a friend, Ex Nam vet ffl, who I’ve bought many guns from and his price was almost at the top. Even on GB there were only like 10 or so examples. As with everything there are low numbers.

Prices are from $1000 on up to $1400. They’ve pretty much doubled to tripled since early this year. You find them on GB mainly. I have a friend, Ex Nam vet ffl, who I’ve bought many guns from and his price was almost at the top. Even on GB there were only like 10 or so examples. As with everything there are low numbers.
Thanks. I did some light googling. I was seeing prices of $800~. Maybe they were older ads? I didn’t dive too deep into it though. I think I paid less than $1200 for my Benelli M4, brand new, a few years ago. LOL

Thanks. I did some light googling. I was seeing prices of $800~. Maybe they were older ads? I didn’t dive too deep into it though. I think I paid less than $1200 for my Benelli M4, brand new, a few years ago. LOL
Exactly. Old ads that will say oos, contact us for availability, or expected in stock at some unknown date. They are testing $800 on auctions but I’m sure they’ll hit higher at the end.

I was looking for a 18.5” barrel for my old Mossy 500 and I could have bought before the pandemic for like $82. I waffled. Of course now they are like $200. Lol.

Exactly. Old ads that will say oos, contact us for availability, or expected in stock at some unknown date. They are testing $800 on auctions but I’m sure they’ll hit higher at the end.

I was looking for a 18.5” barrel for my old Mossy 500 and I could have bought before the pandemic for like $82. I waffled. Of course now they are like $200. Lol.
The first gun I ever bought was an 18.5” Mossy 500 with the pistol grip. That was about 30 years ago. I still have it. I don’t think I could ever bring myself to get rid of it.

So I ask again..... when I sell off a goodly amount of silver in mixed US denominations, WHO DO I SELL TO?

3rd time asking.

I'm no tax expert but private sales would seem to sidestep that particular question altogether.

If I hadn't just bought a couple of ASE tubes, reloading supplies, ammo, etc...

So I ask again..... when I sell off a goodly amount of silver in mixed US denominations, WHO DO I SELL TO?

3rd time asking.
Local Coin Store, Boston Bullion, NES Classifieds...friends & family...

Post up a photo of the horde you want to move here and what you want for it X-face.
You will probably get a better price-point here and the buyer will too. Win:Win
If you are in the ballpark, offers will start flooding in...

~Enbloc

Besides, I'd trust you waaay more than an ebay seller.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom