Gold and silver prices are down

Mexico based silver miners selling off after the election, which I think is a mistake. Claudia Sheinbaum is from the same party but is more mining friendly than her predecessor.

I’d say it’s a buying opportunity but they’ve moved up 50-100% already in a few months.

They probably leaked the jobs data to the big banks.
The info leaked, obviously. The jobs report is less reliable than the National Enquirer, and everybody knows it, but they trade on it anyway because they know others trade on it. This ride is getting worse and worse. Or better and better for anyone inside the loop.

Damn. GDX down hard.
IIRC, they took it down over 5% in mid February in a similar information environment. I made a lot of money off of it, a lot for me, especially after betting wrong on the long bond last fall. I felt comfortable with the bet on GDX back then. It's starting to feel the same, but GDX is still 30% higher than on that day in February. To be, or not to be...

IIRC, they took it down over 5% in mid February in a similar information environment. I made a lot of money off of it, a lot for me, especially after betting wrong on the long bond last fall. I felt comfortable with the bet on GDX back then. It's starting to feel the same, but GDX is still 30% higher than on that day in February. To be, or not to be...
Long holds are better off not looking at all. For a trader/long like me I should have stuck to selling rips and buying dips. I still think we need a gap filled on gold and silver but it may have have some more downside risk as general equities are still getting the most attention.

I still think we need a gap filled on gold and silver but it may have have some more downside risk as general equities are still getting the most attention.
I have not made any moves. I am tempted because I'm thinking again that the market has over-reacted and will reverse course, whether it takes days, weeks, or at most a few months. However, the lack of urgency I'm also feeling is because I agree with you. I'm also a little worried that, on the whole, election year shenanigans will favor equities.

Edit: I put in a limit order to buy just a little bit of GDX @33.54 towards the end of the day, and it triggered right at close. So I guess I did end up buying some. It's guaranteed to go down on Monday now. You're welcome. ;)

Last edited:
It goes down. It goes up.

For longer term investors, do you still see the same story in place that caused you to buy?

Future weakness or worse for the USD? Continued sales of US notes and bonds by China and others? Pursuit of an alternate BRICS currency for international trade?

Or, worst case, war breaking out...

For longer term investors, do you still see the same story in place that caused you to buy?
I think so. That said, you mention future weakness in the USD. That would bode well for foreign investments of many kinds as well as for PMs and miners. That said, I see a melt-up of the USD as a risk. For foreign investors, it's not about how strong or weak the USD ought to be, rather about how it relates to their own currency. When you look at Yuan, Rupees, and Yen as a Chinese, Indian, or Japanese investor, respectively, we can imagine many of them in the past opting to transfer as much of their wealth into assets valued in USD. When the polarity reverses on that, it will be a boon for us investing in PMs and PM miners, and the bottom may fall out of US equities and bonds both. But before the parity reverses, it could get ugly.

I think so. That said, you mention future weakness in the USD. That would bode well for foreign investments of many kinds as well as for PMs and miners. That said, I see a melt-up of the USD as a risk. For foreign investors, it's not about how strong or weak the USD ought to be, rather about how it relates to their own currency. When you look at Yuan, Rupees, and Yen as a Chinese, Indian, or Japanese investor, respectively, we can imagine many of them in the past opting to transfer as much of their wealth into assets valued in USD. When the polarity reverses on that, it will be a boon for us investing in PMs and PM miners, and the bottom may fall out of US equities and bonds both. But before the parity reverses, it could get ugly.

I have time... I hope!

As Warren Buffet says, buy when everyone else is selling...

:)

The disconnect between gold and gold miners is insane. I just haven’t seen this before.
Are you saying the gold mining stocks are lower than they should be, or higher? I deal in physical metals regularly, but don't hold them for any long term, other than a small amount that I've had for years. I have never really looked at mining stocks until I recently bought Newmont in January, because they mine some copper, as well as silver. It seems that a lot of mining companies I looked at back in January were pretty small market caps, and I try to stick with bit larger companies, in general, when investing in stocks.

Are you saying the gold mining stocks are lower than they should be, or higher?
I am not sure what exactly he his referring to if it is a new thing. The correlation between GDX and GLD is rather high in recent months. In early April we saw GLD march upwards and GDX lag behind, though GLD gave up those gains by the end of the month. Where I would argue that miners are under-valued is that the demand for gold is increasing yet the long term trend line for GDX is flat or declining, despite inflation. If we entertain the notion that these major miners are about where they should be, they were over-valued in the past. If, conversely, we suppose their valuations were anything close to correct in the past, they are under-valued today. I think the latter is the case, as equities, not to mention bitcoin, have been on fire, drawing investors away from these stocks for reasons having nothing to do with fundamentals and everything to do with speculative appreciation, not to mention the effects of passive investing in ETFs like SPY.

Are you saying the gold mining stocks are lower than they should be, or higher? I deal in physical metals regularly, but don't hold them for any long term, other than a small amount that I've had for years. I have never really looked at mining stocks until I recently bought Newmont in January, because they mine some copper, as well as silver. It seems that a lot of mining companies I looked at back in January were pretty small market caps, and I try to stick with bit larger companies, in general, when investing in stocks.
Yes gold miners are undervalued related to the underlying gold price in a few ways. So lower.

When considering in situ gold, the developers who are in the midst of mine building are trading at valuations as if that gold is like $50 an ounce.

Senior producers with multiple producing assets are going to be flush with cashflow when aisc is like $1200-$1600 an ounce. Their P/E ratios are whack compared to what equity markets are pricing for future earnings of other sectors, particularly growth and tech. We know short terms rates have peaked while long term rates might spike higher so operating costs with these mines will keep dropping. Demand for physical gold is primarily seen in central bank buying while retail demand is paltry. That will change soon. AEM is a good example of a very good value. NEM has made some poor choices and is not as good a value but the work in risky jurisdictions may pay great dividends.

The only group of miners I am bearish short term on in terms of stock valuation are micro and junior explorers who burn cash and have no derisked assets. They will move eventually when demand for precious metals reaches mainstream and of course these cyclical moves are important to catch with timeframes of just a few years.

I am not sure what exactly he his referring to if it is a new thing. The correlation between GDX and GLD is rather high in recent months. In early April we saw GLD march upwards and GDX lag behind, though GLD gave up those gains by the end of the month. Where I would argue that miners are under-valued is that the demand for gold is increasing yet the long term trend line for GDX is flat or declining, despite inflation. If we entertain the notion that these major miners are about where they should be, they were over-valued in the past. If, conversely, we suppose their valuations were anything close to correct in the past, they are under-valued today. I think the latter is the case, as equities, not to mention bitcoin, have been on fire, drawing investors away from these stocks for reasons having nothing to do with fundamentals and everything to do with speculative appreciation, not to mention the effects of passive investing in ETFs like SPY.
Previous bull markets have seen miners do exceptionally well relative to the underlying gold and silver price. They were also very poorly managed and foolish. Now, they have learned the lessons of the past and are managing capital much better (in general).

The institutional investment in the precious metals space is now 1/2 of 1%. 40 years ago it was about 5%. It won’t take much to move this market and one must always be early.

GDX has had a big move and consolidation to test 50dma or 100dma is needed for breathing room. The volume on the move higher has been lower these past few months indicating the pullbacks were coming. As usual we are in a new longterm bull market and I believe fundamentally it is much greater than 2001-2011. Next catalyst is going to be macro based with black swans or uncontrolled fiscal spending.

It’s strange that gold has been so strong despite higher rates for longer. There is a massive amount of capital on the sidelines waiting in money markets and treasuries which when short term rates drop will move elsewhere for yield or wealth preservation. Most central banks have started their cutting cycle while the Fed has kept steady. I expect they will follow shortly and only if something breaks which is very bullish for gold.

Yes gold miners are undervalued related to the underlying gold price in a few ways. So lower.

When considering in situ gold, the developers who are in the midst of mine building are trading at valuations as if that gold is like $50 an ounce.

Senior producers with multiple producing assets are going to be flush with cashflow when aisc is like $1200-$1600 an ounce. Their P/E ratios are whack compared to what equity markets are pricing for future earnings of other sectors, particularly growth and tech. We know short terms rates have peaked while long term rates might spike higher so operating costs with these mines will keep dropping. Demand for physical gold is primarily seen in central bank buying while retail demand is paltry. That will change soon. AEM is a good example of a very good value. NEM has made some poor choices and is not as good a value but the work in risky jurisdictions may pay great dividends.

The only group of miners I am bearish short term on in terms of stock valuation are micro and junior explorers who burn cash and have no derisked assets. They will move eventually when demand for precious metals reaches mainstream and of course these cyclical moves are important to catch with timeframes of just a few years.

Value is the price an arms length buyer and seller agree to transact at.

People invest/buy when they think there's a good chance of future price appreciation. But remember everytime someone buys, that means someone else is selling.

I'm not very convinced by the lines analysts draw on charts, but as I learn about the Chinese central bank not purchasing gold in May being a factor in what happened on Friday, I think the market realizing it has been misled yet again by jobs report BS will not be enough to buoy prices this week. TLT might rise because of that, but I'll be happy if PMs and miners go sideways and not down this week. I'm going to wish I hadn't bought any GDX on Friday, probably, but who knows what exogenous events might impinge.

If I was buying market moving amounts of gold like China is, I’d say the same thing that China is saying.
There is no record of how much gold China has stored up nor is the buying levels something we can trust. I tend to think they hold many more reserves than what is publicly released and silver is even now a popular retail purchase.

Then there is this:

Back
Top Bottom