• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess that is that, [angry]

ETA; I wonder how they are going to be handling renewals.

I hope this clarifies things for Merrimac; I believe it should be Green.

I met with the licensing officer last November to apply and he advised me to come back the first of the year and apply then because the new chief (sworn in last summer) would enact his new policy of issuing Class A's with no restrictions starting in January. I did what he said and came back early January and applied. I got a call about 7 weeks later to pick up my license...Class A no restrictions. My wife applied at the same time and also go a Class A no restrictions.

If you applied sometime before the end of 2011 I think you were subject to the old policy of the previous chief.

Incidentally, when I picked up my license the clerk had a large stack of licenses on her desk that she had to thumb through to find mine. Apparently quite a number of other folks got the same advice I did and applied at the first of the year and they all came back around the same time.

A place like Newton is red, where it is practically impossible to get an unrestricted LTC A, unless you are law enforcement, lawyer, got the hook ups, etc. That kind of place is red, I think ;) I received my LTC-A with no restrictions in January this year from Braintree. I received it in 6 weeks after I started the process. And yes, I can confirm it was required to pass in 5 letters of recommendation and they couldn't be from family and yes you had to write a letter to the Chief.

A place like Newton is red, where it is practically impossible to get an unrestricted LTC A, unless you are law enforcement, lawyer, got the hook ups, etc. That kind of place is red, I think ;) I received my LTC-A with no restrictions in January this year from Braintree. I received it in 6 weeks after I started the process. And yes, I can confirm it was required to pass in 5 letters of recommendation and they couldn't be from family and yes you had to write a letter to the Chief.

A place that goes back and forth on issuing LTCA-none versus LTCA-restricted really isnt green. Green is for the towns that readily give out LTCA-none as the default provided you arent bone headed enough to ask for something else.

To give two examples: Both Attleboro and Quincy give out LTCA-none, but only if you are over 25. Any younger and its restricted. That isnt green, but is closer to green than red. Braintree giving out both restricted and unrestricted in such an apparently haphazard manner doesnt lend credence to the argument that it should be considered green, IMHO

A place that goes back and forth on issuing LTCA-none versus LTCA-restricted really isnt green. Green is for the towns that readily give out LTCA-none as the default provided you arent bone headed enough to ask for something else.

To give two examples: Both Attleboro and Quincy give out LTCA-none, but only if you are over 25. Any younger and its restricted. That isnt green, but is closer to green than red. Braintree giving out both restricted and unrestricted in such an apparently haphazard manner doesnt lend credence to the argument that it should be considered green, IMHO

thank you for the clarification. makes more sense to me now [grin]

FYI... from the MA DCJIS website:

As of June 11th, 2012 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between May 22nd - May 30th.

Looks like they are staying stable at the same 2-3 week lead time.

As of June 11th, 2012 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between May 22nd - May 30th.

The RMV will do a license while you wait. Which one is treated like it is a right?

This, of course, all assumes that they aren't lying, and that particularly agency is basically a lie generator at this point.

It's very hard to take anything they say or publish seriously.

-Mike

Salem MA gave me a restricted LTC-A. I hope come renewal time there's a slim chance I get it unrestricted. [banghead]

Sorry to hear that. I hope you can get it lifted soon enough. Welcome to NES anyways, I hope you enjoy the forum. Everett still must be a green city because I received my LTC-A no restrictions in January. I'm not rubbing it in sacks, I'm just letting people know. See ya around!

Despite the frustration of nailing down the actual day the lady who processes applications was in the station, Malden remains a very green town. Received my class A unrestricted after about 5 weeks of wait time after the application process (which was relatively painless).

I have it on good information (a police dept employee) that the new chief in Dartmouth (formally from Providence, RI) feels "there are too many permit holders" in his town and has ordered the firearms dept to "slow down the process" to discourage people from renewing or applying. The result has been a 3 month+ long waiting period to get an appointment for finger prints, etc.

I'm not sure if this would move Dartmouth out of being a green town - but the chief there is actively trying to reduce permit holders in Dartmouth. As mentioned I have this information by way of a police dept. employee who heard it directly from the chief himself.

I have it on good information (a police dept employee) that the new chief in Dartmouth (formally from Providence, RI) feels "there are too many permit holders" in his town and has ordered the firearms dept to "slow down the process" to discourage people from renewing or applying. The result has been a 3 month+ long waiting period to get an appointment for finger prints, etc.

I'm not sure if this would move Dartmouth out of being a green town - but the chief there is actively trying to reduce permit holders in Dartmouth. As mentioned I have this information by way of a police dept. employee who heard it directly from the chief himself.

"...shall not be infringed..."

?

Is there anything you can do legally if they just deny your renewal without cause ?

You could go out by a bunch of awesome pistols and rifles, then some chief decides hes not going to renew you... then what ?

I heard this from someone a couple months back as well. I believe the new Dartmouth chief was a Providence captain before taking this job. It might be that he's still thinking of RI and hasn't quite realized that in MA we need a license to own a firearm.

Or he just be a dick.

Here is my first post, just to confirm that Beverly is green: applied for an interview mid-January, had it on March 16, received my LTC-A unrestricted June 5th.

Just got my Class A LTC no restrictions from Stoneham today. Whole process took 20 weeks and 2 days from dropping off application.

Turned in my renewal paperwork today in South Hadley (my permit expires 9/01/12). Have had either "Personal Protection" or "No Restrictions" ever since I have been here. Hopefully it will continue. Dispatcher said I shoukd get a call in a week or so from the Sgt who processes these.

Waltham LTC policy

I just picked up my LTC-A w/o restrictions from the Waltham PD this morning.

It's pretty clear that the policy is that a first time applicant will get a T&H restricted LTC-A, period, full stop. I was told explicitly when I applied six years ago that if I asked for an ALP my application would be denied. However, when I applied for renewal this time I was told, (paraphrased), "we have your paperwork and letters from your first application, you'll get an unrestricted LTC this time." They didn't ask for updated letters or anything.

Officer Modica who deals with LTCs in Waltham seems to be a stand up guy. No BS, no nonsense, no hassling or leading questions. He also believes the E-FA10 system can't be constitutional. Good for him!

Based on a bunch of respondants here and others in Waltham I've talked to, I think it's safe to put "will issue ALP upon renewal" on the table on the first page.

Last edited:
I just picked up my LTC-A w/o restrictions from the Waltham PD this morning.
Officer Modica who deals with LTCs in Waltham seems to be a stand up guy. No BS, no nonsense, no hassling or leading questions. ...

If he was a stand up guy with no BS and no nonsense, they wouldn't be giving you restrictions for the next 6 years of your life. All he is is consistent.

If he was a stand up guy with no BS and no nonsense, they wouldn't be giving you restrictions for the next 6 years of your life. All he is is consistent.

You're assuming he has any authority whatsoever over the policy.

...Officer Modica who deals with LTCs in Waltham seems to be a stand up guy. No BS, no nonsense, no hassling or leading questions. He also believes the E-FA10 system can't be constitutional. Good for him!...

Who is he standing up for? Reference:
...It's pretty clear that the policy is that a first time applicant will get a T&H restricted LTC-A, period, full stop....

At least he gives you the 3 part FA-10 instead of the E-FA-10. I don't really call this "stand up guy" material just yet.

Who is he standing up for? Reference:

He's straightforward, no BS, no intimidation, no leading questions, no looking for an excuse to deny you.

He's not in a position to change the departmental policy, it's set by someone else. He's doing what he can.

He's straightforward, no BS, no intimidation, no leading questions, no looking for an excuse to deny you.

He's not in a position to change the departmental policy, it's set by someone else. He's doing what he can.

Pretty much this. LO Modica told me he didnt believe in the "probationary period" but it was the chiefs policy and he had no say in the matter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom