• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have them listed as red. Was this your fist time applying? Were there any obscure requirements? Do you know anyone that had connections?

I hope I can change them to green [smile]

Mass Firearms School also had them as a "red" town but honestly it was a great/easy experience. It was my first time applying so I was a little nervous. They required 2 letters of recommendation, and a letter from myself stating a valid reason for requesting an unrestricted license. The lieutenant, and other officers I spoke with, were all friendly and personable. I have no connections with local/state police, but I have a clean record so I'm sure that helped. Hope this helps!

Mass Firearms School also had them as a "red" town but honestly it was a great/easy experience. It was my first time applying so I was a little nervous. They required 2 letters of recommendation, and a letter from myself stating a valid reason for requesting an unrestricted license. The lieutenant, and other officers I spoke with, were all friendly and personable. I have no connections with local/state police, but I have a clean record so I'm sure that helped. Hope this helps!

What was your "valid reason", if you don't mind my asking? If it's something particularly personal maybe you can generalize?

What was your "valid reason", if you don't mind my asking? If it's something particularly personal maybe you can generalize?

No worries. I wrote that I hike and would feel more comfortable if I were able to carry. My wife is a contract employee who can sometimes work in odd/sketchy locations, so she put that down.

I don't know if this helped, but I also spoke about my interest in joining a local sport/gun club and joining the NRA/GOAL.

I went for my renewal last night in Westhampton. Our town has always been green and still is. No hoops to jump through.I will let you know how long it takes for mine to come in.

Hi all,

I'm in Tyngsboro and my LTC Class A application has gone completely dead in the water. I am currently unable to get any updates from my local Police Department as to the status. I contacted Colleen Garry as well; no response yet so tonight I also contacted Scott Brown's office. As you can guess, right now I'm extremely frustrated. It has been six months since this process began, with no apparent end in sight.

I submitted my application in January of this year. In late March I was contacted by the police department to ask me to come in and have my fingerprints and photograph taken. My check was cashed. I visited the police station in early April and met with a Lieutenant. The Lieutenant was very helpful and friendly, and did not display any indication that my application would be denied or held up. My understanding is that the next step was to submit my paperwork to the Firearms Bureau in Boston. At the close of my visit he informed me I would hear more in 4-6 weeks.

Two months passed and I contacted the police department to inquire as to the status of this issue. I was transferred to the Lieutenant's voicemail, and left a message asking him to notify me with any available details. I didn't hear back from him, and so a couple of weeks later I left a follow-up voicemail. There has been no response at all since then. According to information online, the Firearms Bureau in Boston is currently processing License to Carry Applications submitted after mine in early April, so I feel mine may have been lost in the shuffle - at best. At worst it seems as if the state is merely dragging its heels hoping I'll just give up and go away, which is hardly likely given the fact I paid my $100 already.

I have no criminal background and I'm a long-time resident of this town. The fact I can't seem to get any response from anyone is particularly vexing. If for some reason the application was denied, I'd like to hear about it and get an explanation.

Does anyone have any advice for a next step? I feel Scott Brown would likely assist, but I suspect his backlog of tasks may make it difficult to get any quick aid from him.

Thanks.

mreilly, contact your town selectmen or town manager, your State Rep, your State Senator if you can't get a police response.

Senator Brown is a US Senator and this is a local issue which will be better addressed by the list above.

Good luck.

Last edited:
No worries. I wrote that I hike and would feel more comfortable if I were able to carry. My wife is a contract employee who can sometimes work in odd/sketchy locations, so she put that down.

I don't know if this helped, but I also spoke about my interest in joining a local sport/gun club and joining the NRA/GOAL.
Its such BS that we have to give a reason to exercise our rights.

mreailly - Sorry to hear this is happening to you. Stuff like this really pisses me off. Hope it gets resolved soon!

Kevin

I went for my renewal last night in Westhampton. Our town has always been green and still is. No hoops to jump through.I will let you know how long it takes for mine to come in.

It was great to see you & your hubby the other night.[wink]

I'm glad that Wton has gone with the new LTC's, I was sick of telling store clerks that it was a real permit, they always said it wasn't because it should look like a credit card. [rolleyes]

I hope mine comes in before Aug 18th. I wanted to go last month but I was sicker than a dog that night. For you others out here saying "why" our town only does permits one night a month, it's great that we have cool guys on our PD though. The Chief even looked to make sure I had "ALP" listed.

My friend, who is not on NES, just received his LTC-A: No restrictions on Thursday in Randolph.

He is a first time applicant and over age 30.

So once again they issued no restrictions to a first timer when Ive read in different places that they are issuing target and hunting to other first timers. So I guess Randolph needs to stay orange.

What really pisses me off is we dropped our applications off at the same time (different towns), he was told it would be 8 weeks for his appointment (they set his date at time of application drop-off) and I was told "we'll call you". My interview was almost 2 weeks before his and I still haven't got mine yet!

I just went for my renewal Class A LTC no restrictions, in Hopkinton, dropped off the renewal app on Sat, July 7th, was told to call for prints/photo' in 5 days or so, I called on Thurs the 12th, and went down on Fri the 13th for prints/photos, took all of 10 min time, the Officer was great to deal with, said it will arrive in the mail and if it doesnt arrive by my current experation date which is the end of Sept. to call him. It was my first renewal and I was pleased with the whole process. Best of luck to everyone, It's strange to me that dfferent towns handle LTC's so different, It should be the same process state wide.

I just went for my renewal Class A LTC no restrictions, in Hopkinton, dropped off the renewal app on Sat, July 7th, was told to call for prints/photo' in 5 days or so, I called on Thurs the 12th, and went down on Fri the 13th for prints/photos, took all of 10 min time, the Officer was great to deal with, said it will arrive in the mail and if it doesnt arrive by my current experation date which is the end of Sept. to call him. It was my first renewal and I was pleased with the whole process. Best of luck to everyone, It's strange to me that dfferent towns handle LTC's so different, It should be the same process state wide.

If the LO was who I think it was, he's a very pro-2A person and no surprise that you were treated properly.

Good luck.

I think the exact phrasing was "work sometimes requires me to be alone in remote and isolated locations."
And not sure if it made a difference, but my recommendation letters were written by people with their licenses that could attest to my competence when handling firearms.

I'd also like to note that everyone at the Belmont Police Department was very friendly and the most difficult part of the whole process was that the fingerprint scanner had difficulty reading my prints-- to which the detective joked that he should bring me in when they train new recruits on the equipment. ;)

Hey guys, new member here. Got my LTC a couple months ago and I figured I'd share my experience.
Applied in Billerica. Took me a week or so so get the LO on the phone and he told me he'd call me to come in for the prints etc. I paid my money, dropped off my application, and waited for the call. Took a little less than two weeks to get printed and interviewed. They required two letters of reference and the usual handgun class. My 'interview' consisted of him asking me the application questions and only one of his own, which was "What do you plan on doing once you get your license?" I told him my brother works for sig sauer and I was looking at a 9mm. He seemed very casual, it didn't feel like an interrogation or anything like that. I applied for a class A LTC for ALP. Got my license with no restrictions 5 weeks and 3 days after my interview. I was told it would be about 8 weeks and I was pretty pumped it only took 5. Overall, Billerica is clearly a green town and it was much easier than I expected.

I don't get it. What's with these guys asking for reference letters? It's like asking a mother if her son is handsome. Do they think you'll turn in negative type material about yourself? [angry]

The odd thing about the reference letters is that it tells you on the Billerica PD website you need them; and when I turned in my application the lady at the desk told me to hold onto those until the interview. Then, at the interview the LO looked surprised that I had them. He didn't ask me for them or anything and about half way through the interview I was like, "Oh do you need these?" and he was just kind of like "oh yeah sure", or some generic response. So, I'm not even 100% sure I really needed the reference letters.

Westford here. Still green, and none of the "extras" (letters, interviews, extra questions on form, etc). Everyone was very friendly and professional.

Thanks, Kevin - I followed the advice here, contacted my local selectman, and lo and behold! The police department called me that day to inform me that my LTC A was ready. I picked it up and am one happy camper.

I do believe I would have gotten it eventually, but my selectman made it happen johnny-on-the-spot. A good lesson to learn; when in doubt start with your local representatives and see if they can help. They want to serve the needs of the community, so they are the best bet for action. All around, it ended on a good note and I'm very pleased to be a proud LTC Class A carrier.

mreailly - Sorry to hear this is happening to you. Stuff like this really pisses me off. Hope it gets resolved soon!

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin - I followed the advice here, contacted my local selectman, and lo and behold! The police department called me that day to inform me that my LTC A was ready. I picked it up and am one happy camper.

I do believe I would have gotten it eventually, but my selectman made it happen johnny-on-the-spot. A good lesson to learn; when in doubt start with your local representatives and see if they can help. They want to serve the needs of the community, so they are the best bet for action. All around, it ended on a good note and I'm very pleased to be a proud LTC Class A carrier.

I've been preaching that from the rooftops to all that will listen since day one of this forum. It really works 99.9999% of the time (there is always the oddball that refuses to help, but they are rare).

Congrats.

Great! Frequently this is the most effective mean of addressing licensing delays. People need to make their selectmen and mayors aware of these delays.

I've been preaching that from the rooftops to all that will listen since day one of this forum. It really works 99.9999% of the time (there is always the oddball that refuses to help, but they are rare).

Congrats.

Great! Frequently this is the most effective mean of addressing licensing delays. People need to make their selectmen and mayors aware of these delays.

Yup. All politis is local. Not only does this help "get it done", but it also puts the rights in their mind, and they can remind the PD who is in charge. It is a winning strategy all around.

Congrats.
Would you recommend doing this for the purpose of eliminating restrictions on a class A permit? Should I talk to the city mayor or go to the state rep? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom