Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any RECENT experience in Georgetown? Mine is due in 2 months. I went down and picked up a package today. Under requirements for a Class A:

"3. Obtain a letter from their employer stating the reasons they wouldneed to carry a weapon for work-related purposes. If self-employed, a letter on their letter head describing the reason that the carrying of a firearm is necessary. If the reason for the need to carry were not of a work-related nature, a letter explaining the need would have to be submitted."

We have a new Chief since I last renewed. I haven't heard of anyone having problems, but this has my stomach in a knot. Anyone have any recent experiences?

When I lived in Georgetown they were as green as Leprachaun balls.

I feel that Dracut should be RED

It took my friend 75 days to get his Class A and they restricted him to hunting and target.

they said they restrict all new issues. they do remove the restrictions on your renewal though

maybe a fourth color is needed????

It took my friend 75 days to get his Class A and they restricted him to hunting and target.

they said they restrict all new issues. they do remove the restrictions on your renewal though

I think most would consider that yellow, or at best, ketchup and
mustard mixed together.

-Mike

Brown like a skidmark.

Lunenburg LTC?

Just wondering if anyone here had some insight on how Lunenburg PD is on issuing ALP LTC-A's? A friend of mine will be applying for it there soon, but I'm not familiar with thier policies and practices.

If you don't want to post feel free to PM me too.

In the old days I heard of people getting crap from them, but all
the people I know from there have ALPs, and I doubt any of them
are politically connected. I agree with tele_mark- I would be
surprised at this point if it isn't green, or at worse, green with a
yellow tinge. [laugh]

-Mike

FWIW, if you have updates on Lunenburg (or your friend does) please pass them along here.

FYI- I just merged this into the "gun rights" sticky thread.

-Mike

Last edited:
I'm applying in Lunenburg now. It has gone without a problem, and the officer said "All lawful purposes pretty much covers it." And said it would come in the mail in 45 days without qualifying it. So sounds pretty good to me.

how long ago was your experience with wrentham? I am house hunting and want to consider ONLY green towns. I will not live in a town that will not allow me my full constitutional right.

I would rate Wrentham as GREEN; however, that was under the old chief. What the acting chief or his replacement will do is a matter of conjecture.

Thank you drgrant for re-locating it for me. I haven't heard anything wrt gun licensing from that town whatsoever, but my friend will be applying pretty soon, and I didn't know if there was anything to be on the lookout for.

Thanks for the help, and I'll post when I find out results.

Oh, and does anyone think it would be easier to make an alphbetic list of Mass. towns/cities, with their licensing policy, chief's name, licensing officer's name, and the most recent date of that licensing?

For instance: Anytown, Chief Smith, Sgt. Jones Licensing Officer, green as of 1-1-2008, ALP LTC-A no problems.

Just some way to have an easy to reference list, updated periodically. This thread is a great tool, but with 70-something replies and all the other stuff it can be a little difficult to use, you know?

An idea I have, I wouldn't mind heading that project up btw.

Oh, and does anyone think it would be easier to make an alphbetic list of Mass. towns/cities, with their licensing policy, chief's name, licensing officer's name, and the most recent date of that licensing?

Nope. We have been making this list for almost 2 years, and this is what we have. Feel free to make a better one if you want to put the time and work into it.

As two weeks ago, Greenfield is as green as the name would suggest! This is pretty much a direct quote from that moment that so many people get so uptight worrying about...at least I did. The moment when they ask what your applying for and why.

Licensing Officer: ok, how many years at that address?
Me: 4
LO: Ok, I'm just gonna put you down for a Class A ALP license, that ok?
Me: ah...sure!
-Prints taken, $100 fee paid, 15 minutes of pleasant conversation while he entered info into the computer-
LO: Ok Mr. XX, you'll receive you license in 3-5 weeks in the mail; have a nice day.
Me: Ok, thanks.

That's it. the LO basically explained he felt that you're either responsible enough to own a gun or your not. They don't even give out Class B, and the default license is an A ALP. Living in the western half of the state certainly has its perks.

EVERYTIME I SEE THAT MAP I WANNA PULL MY PHUCKING HAIR OUT!!

Okay...I feel better now.[sad2]

I feel the same way... I was feeling great,,, took the safety course,, filled out the Apps,,,, filled out all the paperwork,,, dropped them off,, then I see "THE MAP" and was like [crying]... Now I am on the waiting list and IN IT FOR THE LONG HAUL!!!

As two weeks ago, Greenfield is as green as the name would suggest! This is pretty much a direct quote from that moment that so many people get so uptight worrying about...at least I did. The moment when they ask what your applying for and why.

Licensing Officer: ok, how many years at that address?
Me: 4
LO: Ok, I'm just gonna put you down for a Class A ALP license, that ok?
Me: ah...sure!
-Prints taken, $100 fee paid, 15 minutes of pleasant conversation while he entered info into the computer-
LO: Ok Mr. XX, you'll receive you license in 3-5 weeks in the mail; have a nice day.
Me: Ok, thanks.

That's it. the LO basically explained he felt that you're either responsible enough to own a gun or your not. They don't even give out Class B, and the default license is an A ALP. Living in the western half of the state certainly has its perks.

Yep, Greenfield = Good. Let me know if you ever want to check out the Franklin County League of Sportsman's Club (don't know if your a member there or anywhere else) I'd be happy to give you the tour.

How is this data collected?

Is it possible to give percentages on the towns? This way we are not looking at everyday hoodlums applying for a LTC knocking down the town percentage to Red when maybe it's really green.

Just asking.. : )

Great chart though!!! Thank you !!!

0000007.gif

Last edited:
Either you qualify for the license, or you don't.

Some people qualify and can't get the license they want.

That certainly doesn't make them hoodlums.

Maybe I shoulld be more detailed.. Sorry.. AGAIN, how, is the data collected? Is everyone's input taken into account? Or just those who are qualified and didn't get a LTC. Geezzz..

Sorry. I wasn't trying to be a dick.

I have a very restrictive license. And I'm not very happy about it.

No problem. I was just trying to figure out how the data collected: I was shocked when I saw my town in RED : (

I guess I was just trying to justify the RED and make it GREEN in my head. Not happening though,...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom