Gun and Sport North in Lawrence.Mass.

[Mod Hat On! Removed quote from Thread telling users to create new thread/shop - irrelevant to this thread. LenS-Mod]

Does anyone have anything to say about this shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
royalstarblvd said:
Does anyone have anything to say about this shop.
If there's isn't anything in the forum already on this shop, start a new thread about it.[wink]

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

Guns and Sports in Lawrence.Mass.

I was in this shop 2weeks ago with a friend and the friend purchased a firearm that when he got home and proceed to clean this gun.(it was filthy) he found a couple of problems.so we returned to this shop.They claim that they will repair and replace the damaged parts.I question there honesty.I will let you know how it went when we return a 3rd time. to this shop. and maybe we will finally get to used this firearm at the range.

Ed bought his MegaStar from them a few years back, and I got my Sigma from them. No problems with either one and both were clean. They aren't overly friendly, and I found the prices to be a bit higher than other places I saw, but other than that they were okay.

Last edited:
I did a transfer on a gun that I bought in NH a few years ago. His prices were high and inventory wasn't very impressive. Wasn't the most personable person around but then again he is in a rough area.

Pete

I took my Basic Safety course for my LTC there when I first moved back to MA...It was only something like $90, done in one day, and it was 5 minutes from where I work.

I went back once to check things out but wasn't impressed. I check their website periodically to see what they have in pre-owned inventory, but it's only updated every week or two. The rest of the website is barely kept up to date...2004 ammo prices "With new 2005 prices" are still shown. I won't bother to go there again.

Lynne said:
You ain't kiddin!! Se' habla?? If I'm not carrying, I definately don't go there. [rolleyes]

LOL. I work a couple miles from there. A couple times I've gone through that area with my wife (in a car) and said: "See? There's lots of places where I wouldn't feel comfortable with out CCW". She had nothing to say.

EDIT: Yes, I've been there and wasn't impressed.

Lynne said:
You ain't kiddin!! Se' habla?? If I'm not carrying, I definately don't go there. [rolleyes]

Actually the one other time I went there, I was encountered on my way to the front door by what appeared to be a drugged up black tranny whose only line to me with an evil stare was something like "wachoo lookin' at ya white muf***a"...I'm pretty sure that's another part of the reason I don't go back there.

I went in there when I was looking to buy my first pistol. Wasn't helpful. Too busy shooting the breeze with someone else. Small shop and kinda small selection.

That is not a happy neighborhood. I remember a post from Len a long time ago that stuck in my head. His wife asked him if he <i>had</i> to carry to some event. He responded "if I knew I had to, I would go", or something to that effect. This place falls into the "knowing you have to" category" IMO.

I deal with Rob alot. He's good people. He also does come up with some outstanding deals. He sells refurbed 3rd generation Glocks for $450 unlike some other shops that charge $700 for the same guns!! I was also lucky enough to buy a used S&W Performance Center Shorty .40 for $499 from him. He also tends to make reasonable offers if you want to trade something in. Some other shops offer crap when you want to trade.

He treated me good on a deal for a Model 27 So when I saw some thing a friend was looking for I told him and he gave him a good deal also. He has some good deals on used handguns.

I deal with Rob at Gun & Sport North. He has a good selection of ammo and a diverse selection of used guns. I've gotten and seen some excellent deals go out the door, but he is in business to make money! I can tell you that if he knows you are serious about buying something he will do his best to follow thru and at least get back to you with info. I have gotten several prices on new guns for myself and other friends and he has been the lowest on guns that he is ordering.
He is very quiet until he gets to know you. He first looks new people over for his own safety. His shop is in a very tough area. He is a concerned dealer and has helped me and the club I belong to in promoting the shooting sports to any interested new shooters!

I had a hour to kill today waiting for a vendor in Lowell, so I figured I'd drop in and check the place out. Owner was friendly and helpful. They have a schweet .50 BMG for sale. Place is not big and prices are not spectacular, but they are better then some other shops I have stepped foot in. I'll stop in again if I'm in the area.

I've heard a lot of people say that this shop is in a "tough" neighborhood. Can anyone elaborate on this? How tough are we talking?

Is it "You might get jumped if you're walking alone at night" tough, "It's a safe bet your car's gonna get broken into in the parking lot regardless of the time of day" tough, or "I carry at all times 'cuz you're likely to get shot walking into the store in broad daylight" tough?

Just curious if the juice is worth the squeeze on this one..

Thanks all!

I had a hour to kill today waiting for a vendor in Lowell, so I figured I'd drop in and check the place out. Owner was friendly and helpful. They have a schweet .50 BMG for sale. Place is not big and prices are not spectacular, but they are better then some other shops I have stepped foot in. I'll stop in again if I'm in the area.

Too bad I didn't know you were in the area...I work less than 10 minutes from there. Oh well.

Gun and Sport North

I Have not been in there in a few years, but i did have a gun shipped to them from the Kittery Trading post a couple of times, The first time i went to pick
a gun that was shipped there (because i know the area) i was packing my
satin-nickle Comander, condition one!/ Mex-carry/ and there was a sighn
on the front door that said "NO LOADED FIREARMES ALLOWED" so i knocked
on his door and waved him to come to the door! he waved me in but i shook
my head and pointed to the sighn, he came to the door and i said i am
here to pick up the pistol that i just called you about that you said had indeed arrived! but with due respect of your sighn i did not want to just walk
in and tell you about it and because of the DREGGS out on the sidwalk
"shooting up" in the next doorway at 10:45AM i dont want to leave here
with a unloaded in the box and trigger-locked handgun!! thats why im packin
he was great about it an said "no problem" so im wondering IS THAT SIGHN
STILL THERE??? i have a couple of pistols i want to trade for something new.
Sheriff Dudley (.45 Mex Carry i dont get no better than that:)

I bought my NAA mini-mag there, just before the AG Regs
became effective. When I left the store that afternoon
with my new gun in a bag, there were a dozen of Lawrence
Finest had some hoody up against a building twenty feet
down from the gun shop door. They put the bracelets on
him, and I continued to my car. I only stop there if there
is a close parking space on Broadway. Not much room in
their driveway out back. The Marine's funeral home is just
across a corner from the shop (Cotnoir). Never been
bothered by any of the locals hanging around the hood.
Traffic can be tough some times.

I've heard a lot of people say that this shop is in a "tough" neighborhood. Can anyone elaborate on this? How tough are we talking?

SNIP
Thanks all!

Stopped in here last week while looking for the my first handgun. The person behind the counter, whose name I didn't catch, was very helpful. The shop was a little smaller than I expected and parking is tough. They had a good selection of handguns at decent prices, but nothing exactly what I was looking for. I would certainly go back up there if I was looking for something specific they had.

What's the story on this place are they getting ready to move or just going to close?

They use to update their web site every Friday and you could find some great buys on some old Smith's.

But they havn't updated their site since last Nov.

Any one been there lately?

Last edited:
I have bought a few guns from Robert at the shop, Yes it is small and no they do not update the web site.

I had picked up a very very nice police turn in Glock 27 that still and the orange grease in it, hardly shot and no wear marks at all. As a matter of fact, he had two in the same condition to choose from price at 630.00. I also have sent a few friends there and they had good luck.

On a down side he is not open late from his hours posted
Mon-Wed 9:30am - 5:00pm, Thurs-Fri 9:30 - 8:00pm, and Sat. 9:30pm - 5:00pm

So if you cannot make it on a Sat your only after work day to shop is Thur.

As far as the web site last time I spoke with Robert he had a buddy doing it for him in his spare time, and he was aware of the fact it was not getting updated and he was going to talk to the guy.

On a side note, he is one of New England's largest Surefire dealers and his prices are pretty good. You may be able to steal one off of Ebay once in a while but for everyday cash and carry they are some of the best I have found.

I will agree with the other poster that he is kind of quiet until you get to know him and once that initial call it a feeling out period, is over. I have called for stuff in the past and he has been very very helpful to the extent he has taken sales away from his own store to let me know I found a good deal. As far as the neighbor hood is concerned, yes parking is a pain in the A**, and yes it could be a better area but that's where the shop is so stay aware and go about your business and then leave.

Ending I would not hesitates to shop at his store, it is one of the many I shop at. Though not as much as I would like due to $$ but I still would go there if I needed something, since he is pretty close by.

Bruce

Rob is helpful

I purchased my first two guns from Rob at Gun and Sport North. It's easy to get over there from my office in Andover. I've always felt OK going in there.

I was browsing through this thread and thought I'd give Robert a plug, seeing as I've dealt with Gun and Sport North a number of times and always been satisfied.

I really like this guy's reserved but friendly attitude. He's helpful, attentive, patient and laid-back. When browsing at the shop, I've always liked the relaxed, mom-and-pop atmosphere, except for the few times when some "regulars" were shooting the breeze in there and it felt like I had invaded their clubhouse [frown].

As far as the area being tough, I've been frequenting Lawrence for many years in one capacity or another and can say it's not a bad place on an absolute scale - relative to cushy North Shore enclaves, maybe, but not all in all. Broadway, where Robert's shop is located, is nice and bustling and I've always felt perfectly safe there.

Now, the lower end of Park Street after midnight, well, probably wouldn't hand around there too long [rolleyes]. Pretty raw deal - burned-out, boarded-up and/or vacant, a lot of it.

Last edited:
I just happened back by this thread and realized that you folks might like to know that the Gun & Sport North used guns list is now being frequently updated (it'd be nice if the type was a little bigger though!).

I have seen some very decent deals on used guns come up in the past couple weeks since Robert informed me the list was current. Worth keeping an eye on.

I've found some good deals on hard to find S&W revolvers from him in the past. A couple of years ago I got a great deal on a 4 inch Model 27 there.

It's a web site that needs to be watched, mainly because he has some real nice old S&W's show up every once in a while.

Shotgun World, has listed him as, one the best gun shops in the Country to buy a new shotgun from.

I've been to the shop a number of times since its pretty close to where I live. The selection is small but check the used list as they don't have enough room to put everything on display. You can usually find some good deals. The guys there are good to shoot the shit with and helpful. Its pretty relaxed environment and they have some decent prices on new and reloaded ammo. Its in a pretty crappy neighborhood so be aware. Every time I've been to the shop there are guys just standing around on the street corners (can you say lookouts?) I will say that when I bought my Stag AR there two years ago I didn't make it 10 yards out the door when some @$$ stops and goes "hey man, what chu got in that gun case." I took my little bro there a couple weeks ago and we got stopped by some dooface asking if he wanted a haircut (barber shops almost every other door). I always carry when I go.

I just happened back by this thread and realized that you folks might like to know that the Gun & Sport North used guns list is now being frequently updated (it'd be nice if the type was a little bigger though!).

I have seen some very decent deals on used guns come up in the past couple weeks since Robert informed me the list was current. Worth keeping an eye on.

Wasn't he working on moving?

I bought my Bushy Ar15 20inch, from him. He was a nice guy. He busy with 2 older guys, I think he knew. I got a good deal on a brand new AR, so I could not be happier. It is a small shop, with a small inventory. The area is a little ruff, I parked in back of the shop and found know problem. I would not hesitate to buy from Gun and Sport North again.

Back
Top Bottom