Gun and Sport North in Lawrence.Mass.

Some more good stuff about the shop - Stopped in Saturday and made a purchase while 2 guys did a transfer. I always have a good experience when I go in there, which is not often enough.

If you're looking for a Browning A-5, he's got 4 of them to pick from.

Here's why I won't shop there

I went there to sign up for and take the required safety course. Their website says the course costs $105 and includes everything. When I was signing up, they told me there were no regular classes because they were on Sundays and nobody would go because of football season - so I had to pay for a private class which was more - but if more people signed up, it would be cheaper. OK, I'll give that to them. THEN they told me I had to pay for a RENTAL OF THE NRA BOOK ! I should have left at that moment, but I wanted to get it over with. So I ended up paying about $150 for the course. There were also 2 others in the class - the price never went down. It was the rental of the book that really ticked me off - they (there were 2 guys there) were definitely taking advantage.

If you need the course, go to A&G in Lowell - for $110 and a very comprehensive course. I know someone who went there and had a great experience as far as the class goes.

I went there to sign up for and take the required safety course. Their website says the course costs $105 and includes everything. When I was signing up, they told me there were no regular classes because they were on Sundays and nobody would go because of football season - so I had to pay for a private class which was more - but if more people signed up, it would be cheaper. OK, I'll give that to them. THEN they told me I had to pay for a RENTAL OF THE NRA BOOK ! I should have left at that moment, but I wanted to get it over with. So I ended up paying about $150 for the course. There were also 2 others in the class - the price never went down. It was the rental of the book that really ticked me off - they (there were 2 guys there) were definitely taking advantage.

If you need the course, go to A&G in Lowell - for $110 and a very comprehensive course. I know someone who went there and had a great experience as far as the class goes.

No need for that happy horses#^t. You live close enough to the Lawrence Rod & Gun Club. They have an LTC class every month. $90 does it all, includung range qualification.

I help teach classes at my local club- I've never heard of any NRA Book rental fees!!

no problem when I got my lower there. A flat out rental fee is just wrong. A deposit so he gets it back is resonable. Thats just how I am though. His book his choice.

THEN they told me I had to pay for a RENTAL OF THE NRA BOOK
If he is running this as an NRA course, I expect providing the book on a "rental" basis is against NRA policy. The NRA will NOT sell instructors extra certificates for this reason - one book, one certificate (damaged certificates can be replaced for a $1 each, but you can't buy certs without the book). The certificate is not the one that "counts" in MA, but this person should definitely not be calling this the "NRA course" if the book is rented, rather than given to the student as part of the deal.

TUITION INCLUDES: NOT INCLUDED:
Classroom and Range Fees
Use of Firearms
Ammunition
Instructor Fees
Practical Handgun Handbook
Wall Certificate (Course completion) Eye Protection
Ear Protection

This course is being run as cheap and nasty. A more reasonable budget would allow for including a book for each student, the use of guns and ammo, and use of eye and ear protection for all shooters.

I think the course was designed for cheapness, but lacks the essential long term perspective.

I'd not want to be involved in teaching this course. It has the look and feel of a train wreck.

C-X

Last edited:
Sounds like complete and utter BS IMO. I've never, ever heard of the book not being included in any class! Tuition should include everything required to get the certificate!!

There are plenty of other better classes/instructors that do a better job!

Sounds like complete and utter BS IMO. I've never, ever heard of the book not being included in any class! Tuition should include everything required to get the certificate!!

There are plenty of other better classes/instructors that do a better job!

Don't form an opinion unless you have seen the class. I talked with Rob about this and he told me he has never charged a rental fee for a book. The course is $140 includes all materials including the book and a simulated laser shoot(live fire is available as an option with additional cost for the firearm and ammo usage). As far as the class goes it is one of the most complete one I have ever encountered and that fee rate is for a class of a max of 5 people(also the part that was said about the cost going down for more people means if you bring a group you get a group rate - not your fee goes down because HE got more students in the session). There are around 10 firearms(all different makes sizes etc.) used at teaching aids, multiple videos, posters, and other kinds of visual aids. On another note I consider this man a friend of mine and have known him for years - He does not lie or play games! He would be in this thread himself but he is not very computer savvy(he plans on spending more time learning after he moves). Would anybody else who knows rob please chime in here. With all the people in this industry that do nothing but screw customers he does not deserve to be treated this way at all. You don't believe me call him on the phone, stop by his shop and get to know him.

Don't form an opinion unless you have seen the class. I talked with Rob about this and he told me he has never charged a rental fee for a book. The course is $140 includes all materials including the book and a simulated laser shoot(live fire is available as an option with additional cost for the firearm and ammo usage). As far as the class goes it is one of the most complete one I have ever encountered and that fee rate is for a class of a max of 5 people(also the part that was said about the cost going down for more people means if you bring a group you get a group rate - not your fee goes down because HE got more students in the session). There are around 10 firearms(all different makes sizes etc.) used at teaching aids, multiple videos, posters, and other kinds of visual aids. On another note I consider this man a friend of mine and have known him for years - He does not lie or play games! He would be in this thread himself but he is not very computer savvy(he plans on spending more time learning after he moves). Would anybody else who knows rob please chime in here. With all the people in this industry that do nothing but screw customers he does not deserve to be treated this way at all. You don't believe me call him on the phone, stop by his shop and get to know him.

If this is NRA Basic Pistol, I cannot see how laser simulations could ever be a good substitute for live fire with real guns and ammo.

I was there. The guy that rang me up mentioned about the book rental fee, then the other guy later called over the wall to him and asked if he charged the book rental fee. That's what was said - twice ! I had to return the book at the end of the class. I'm not knocking the class itself or the knowledge of the instructor - just that fee that was mentioned to me. It's a fact and that's what was said. Had that book rental fee not have been mentioned. I would have no beef. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe the fee they charged me was the same as always regardless of the book - I don't know. But the book rental fee was mentioned - that I will not forget.

He seemed like a great guy. Just telling of my personal experience. That what forums are for - to share experiences good and bad for both customers and shop owners to use and learn from.

Let me reiterate - the class itself was very comprehensive and the instructor was very knowledgeable and did a great job teaching the course. There was nothing lacking there. He did a great job with the material and the course was NOT cheap and nasty as mentioned above - by any means.

I can form an opinion based on the data we all have here. I don't think that there is a dispute on the book rental costs or the range fee/gun rentals right? If this is true then personally I think it's crazy. I can see a range fee for smaller classes causing the price to go up but a NRA book rental fee??? And a fee for using the guns? I've never heard of this.. honestly. My intention was not to diss your friend but to let you/him know this seems like a bizzare fee structure for an NRA class.

Gun & Sport North

I'm not sure if the course he teaches is an NRA course or is a Ma state police approved course in which he uses NRA materials. Courses in Ma have to meet State police requirements not NRA guidelines. The course I took many years ago was cheap and fast. The instructor is retired. . I didn't have a lot of money to work with and settled for less. I had been taught gun safety by my dad at age 10.
Rob is in my opinion a good instructor and businessman. He has volunteered at Womens clinics given at the club I belong to. He has donated ammo and supplies to run them. When he is given enough notice, I have been there when he has called S&W and other Distributors to get us class materials and promotional materials.

Just curious, do you own this store, work there, related to the owner or just a big fan? You have 7 posts here and they're all about how good this place is.
been away for a while , i'am curious dose it mater i have been around guns/ & stores for a long timt i have seen stores open and close ifs tough to find a store thats been around since 1953 / i delt with his dad / brothers . i like the guys at kittery and rileys but a longer ride but i see them once a month, northshore firearms big mike, little mike nice guys i hope to see them in 20-30 yrs also if i live that long. why should i gone to a site and say bad things about a store , i have been to f.s. with my friends and we did not care for the place so should i have gone on his site and say bad things. i loved to shop at srevice merchandise, and sears sporting goods , but you know there gone , so should i gone on all the sites and say who i like and don't and cut them down like a lot of people are doing i was told, if you can'nt say any thing nice just do'nt say any thing. so a lot of people out there should sit back and lisen.

been away for a while , i'am curious dose it mater i have been around guns/ & stores for a long timt i have seen stores open and close ifs tough to find a store thats been around since 1953 / i delt with his dad / brothers . i like the guys at kittery and rileys but a longer ride but i see them once a month, northshore firearms big mike, little mike nice guys i hope to see them in 20-30 yrs also if i live that long. why should i gone to a site and say bad things about a store , i have been to f.s. with my friends and we did not care for the place so should i have gone on his site and say bad things. i loved to shop at srevice merchandise, and sears sporting goods , but you know there gone , so should i gone on all the sites and say who i like and don't and cut them down like a lot of people are doing i was told, if you can'nt say any thing nice just do'nt say any thing. so a lot of people out there should sit back and lisen.

I've read this three times and I still don't understand it? Let me get this straight.....

You've hung out at gun stores for a long time
You like Gun and Sport North
You like Kittery
You like Rileys
You liked Service Merchandise(now out of business)
You liked Sears Sporting Goods(now out of business)
You dislike Four Seasons.
You don't expect to live for another 20 years
You want to go to other gun sites and express your displeasure for F.S.
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it.

Am I close? I'm really confused.[sad]

Eng_Only_Please_01_LO.jpg

I should have also mentioned, I took my LTC class here. Great guy to deal with for classes. Way more than helpful for a first time shooter who never had paws on firearms before.

Last edited:
I haven't taken any courses at Gun & Sport North, but I've bought ammo and a used handgun in the past. The owner, Rob, seems to be a good guy and I'm looking forward to checking out the new shop in Salem.

Any word when that's going to be up and running? I haven't heard much about it.

I drove by there today and it looked like they were moving stuff (store fixtures, etc.) out of the place

gotta be NH, nobody in their right mind would move a business from Lawrence to Salem Ma, easier to start a new business.

I'll be happy to see a new shop in my side of the border, maybe it will take a while before people find out it's there and I can buy some effn ammo!

Back
Top Bottom