Gun shops and “can I see your license?”

I'd agree, if you were somehow obligated to shop there.

You're not. You can vote with your feet. So... their shop, their rules. We all suck up little inconveniences to go to our LGSs, whether it's having to take a ticket or dealing with smelly, cranky old bastards behind the counter. Noplace is perfect.

I see this as one of a dozen variables that go into whether you want to shop there. It's on each buyer whether they choose to deal with it.
So, every time any of us walk into a MA gunshop, we should expect to be given some form of a hard time? It's to bad that it happens on a consistent basis, no matter where you go. I'll continue to exercise my right to buy used or new off this site or go to NH to buy a long gun and record my transaction, not register it (b.s.), when I get home. Add in the misinformation you receive with or without asking and it's a wonder any stay in business.

Somebody is going to have to explain to me how this crock of shit policy is protecting the gun shop.
Can only think of one thing
Handing a firearm to a FPP ?
Only other reason is dont want to waste time with someone who cant purchase. ?
Feels good ?

So, every time any of us walk into a MA gunshop, we should expect to be given some form of a hard time? It's to bad that it happens on a consistent basis, no matter where you go. I'll continue to exercise my right to buy used or new off this site or go to NH to buy a long gun and record my transaction, not register it (b.s.), when I get home. Add in the misinformation you receive with or without asking and it's a wonder any stay in business.
There has to be good money in it.

As rule, gun shop owners and employees are extremely dogmatic. They have their own religion and they follow it. They do not actually understand the law but have a set of rules/commandments/dictums that they live by and believe it keeps them safe. They think that anyone who does not follow their rules/commandments/dictums is an evil spawn unbeliever and going straight to jail. They are happy to tell you that anything outside their rules/commandments/dictums is illegal. They are happy to tell you that any shop doing something they will not are heathens and unbelievers and going straight to jail along with all their customers.

Pretty hard to differentiate from other religions...

This lunacy isnt just a mass thing either. It's a box store thing. Its just that in free state the box stores box differently but still demented in their own f***ed up way. Like a friend of mine from PA described the basically chinese water torture he went through to buy a firearm at Cabelas once. [rofl]
Cabelas in Michigan:
"Look at this gun, and I think you will like this gun as well and any other guns you want to look at?"

I had 3 guns on the counter, no trigger lock, no waiting in line, allowed me to pull triggers and no one ever asked for a license or if I was a resident of Michigan.

It is mainly a State pant shitting thing.

But I agree, there is a certain level of box store stupudity. Even at KTP, sometimes those guys are a bunch of f*cking tools. Like when they asked my dad for an LTC to buy an 1800's musket (a percussion muzzleloader).

As rule, gun shop owners and employees are extremely dogmatic. They have their own religion and they follow it. They do not actually understand the law but have a set of rules/commandments/dictums that they live by and believe it keeps them safe. They think that anyone who does not follow their rules/commandments/dictums is an evil spawn unbeliever and going straight to jail. They are happy to tell you that anything outside their rules/commandments/dictums is illegal. They are happy to tell you that any shop doing something they will not are heathens and unbelievers and going straight to jail along with all their customers.

Pretty hard to differentiate from other religions...
And I'll thank the Good Lord I have options without giving a donation!

I made a handgun purchase at my LGS the other day, and while they were processing the transfer I went to let my friend handle the gun. Both employees behind the counter put out their hands as a stop command and said “we need to see his license first!” I’d swear there was a record scratch and the place went silent and everyone was starring at us.

I’ll show my license to handle a gun if asked, but this was annoying. It’s not a law, it’s a policy we’ve all learned to live with. What if I’m an out of state resident and would ship it to my FFL if I bought it? Still not allowed to handle it?

I wish shops would cut the shit with this. But their shop their rules I guess.
Evidently, you've NOT learned to live with it because you're complaining about it here.

Rant Score= 0

The guy wanting to handle the gun has no skin in the game........the gun shop has 100% skin in the game and doesn't know who the potential handler is. To them, anyone walking in the door could be an ATF or AG plant trying to gin up business for their next FFL prosecution.

They're protecting their own FFL and have every right/ (necessity) to do it, especially in a state like MA.

It was worse than that at one point, they actually had an infrared thermometer and if your head was hot they wouldn't let you in. [rofl] (maybe those things are related)
That’s when you demand verification via rectal thermometer.
Then again, with my luck they’d send out something that looks like rachel levine with something that resembles a 48” fluorescent light tube and my bluff would be called as I ran screaming into the woods. 🤣

Evidently, you've NOT learned to live with it because you're complaining about it here.

Rant Score= 0

The guy wanting to handle the gun has no skin in the game........the gun shop has 100% skin in the game and doesn't know who the potential handler is. To them, anyone walking in the door could be an ATF or AG plant trying to gin up business for their next FFL prosecution.

They're protecting their own FFL and have every right/ (necessity) to do it, especially in a state like MA.

Is there a law that says a non licensed person cannot hold a gun?

Your answer seems to imply there is. I don't know, so I am asking. Is there a law?

Last edited:
Is there a law that says a non licensed person cannot gold a gun?

Your answer seems to imply there is. I don't know, so I am asking. Is there a law?
There is no law. I think it actually states that holding while contemplating a purchase is fine. I think it happens with just handguns. Perhaps the seller doesn't want someone bolting with it out the door, who knows.

Slight thread drift, but this reminds me of the recent trend amongst online gun and gunparts vendors to have you click a box saying you are 18 or over.

Frankly, WTF good does that do?!
I believe California requires it. And to answer your question it doesn't do a friggin thing.

Rant Score= 0

That's cute but the whole thing is based on shitlogic. If the dealer was really legitimately thinking they were getting whacked they would have blocked the sale and given him his money back and basically kicked him out of the store and that didn't happen. What did happen was a bunch of ego tripping garbage. 🤣 that's about par for the course for many shops. In some cases you can follow the logic. Like for example Riley's used to basically give somebody a refund check on a denial vs allowing a person to say "well my nephew wants it can he come tomorrow and do the bg check etc?" Because that looked like a straw and they wanted to wash their hands of that appearance. That kind of policy is actually understandable. Most are just histrionics. I think the op is just dumbfounded by the fact that what he wanted to do have his friend examine the gun that he was buying, is perfectly legal. I don't see how somebody can come to any other conclusion unless their brain is operating in 100% shitlogic mode.

Eh I take it a step farther. Requiring you to do something you aren’t legally obligated to do is never a good thing and I personally think that type of behavior should be called out

Yes. I literally said their shop their rules but that it’s a dumb policy. I wish I hadn’t mentioned the shop now because this policy is endemic of most of Massachusetts and I was trying to make a point on the policy itself.

But now I have the toughest internet commando on NES calling me a 2A Karen or whatever, so wicked NES thread fail on my part 😂
I've noticed on here that some people are extremely generous with what someone else's business should or shouldn't do to protect themselves..
Nice not to have any skin in the game.

Usually the store workers are pretty nice and casual about asking for you to flash your license if you wanted to handle a piece. One exception was FAWWH SEASONS. I was interested in handling a pistol and asked if I could check it out. Not even a full sentence from the gun shop employee. Just "LTC." from his mouth. I showed him I had one and he had this annoyed look once he saw it and actually had to follow through on entertaining a potential customer.

I asked how it protects them. Which you haven't answered. You need an ltc to touch a gun in that shop. Is it because they want to demonstrate that they don't sell to people without licenses? What about the ammo on their shelves. Hell, why not check for licenses at the door. And while you're at it paint the windows so nobody without a license can see any guns from the outside. I'll ask again; what is that policy protecting them from?
Can I see that gun?
Sure.
Bolts out the door with it.
Now you tell me how it's going to go for the shop if he just handed the gun to a convicted felon who's now running around with it.
F*cked with a football bat is the phrase that comes to mind.
Of even if the guy doesn't bolt and is a P.P. .
You're still f*cked in this state.

I've noticed on here that some people are extremely generous with what someone else's business should or shouldn't do to protect themselves..
stripes lighten GIF

That's cute but it's still stupid and irrational policy.

I agree the OP should just shop elsewhere though.

I could fill a thread with "shop XYZ is a massengil douche factory" stories ive seen or experienced myself. The thing is, I just dont think they're that important. If it bothers me enough I just
leave and never come back. (internally) "Oh, I see whats going on here, selling gun at over MSRP. this is going to be grrrrrreat." [rofl] look around a couple minutes, then jet, and never
go back again. [rofl]
But it HIS policy , HIS business and HIS livelyhood.
When I had my FFL I would have enjoyed someone trying to tell me how THEY though I should be running it just to have the pleasure of telling them to GFYS.
Like you said , go somewhere else if you don't like it . One less overly sensitive PITA that I have to deal with .

I’m actually surprised .gov hasn’t limited new gas tanks to like 3 gallons so an all electric shit box actually travels further than. lol

“We’ll show those gasholes!” - Mayor Pete
Stfu! Delete the above before they do just this!!!

And!!!! Slow down the flow rate from the pump so it takes you 4-5 hours to fill your tank!

You get 2 gallons fast, but the remaining 10-15 gallons take hours.

What they're doing offers zero protection. Unless you know something rhe rest of us don't. If you do please share.

Can I see that gun?
Sure.
Bolts out the door with it.
Now you tell me how it's going to go for the shop if he just handed the gun to a convicted felon who's now running around with it.
F*cked with a football bat is the phrase that comes to mind.
Of even if the guy doesn't bolt and is a P.P. .
You're still f*cked in this state.
By this way of thinking they should run NICS before they let anyone touch a gun. And they should lock the front door.

Back
Top Bottom