Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like they're relying on this thread for the legal interpretation. [laugh]

Come to NES for you most up-to-date news in the firearms world!! Why not? I do.

Also, consider that somewhere, there is a MA official reading this thread and laughing him/herself silly watching us freak out and trip all over ourselves in hysteria. CHICKEN LITTLE, BITCHES.

I'm going to crack a Yuengling and bring the blood pressure down just a tad.

Brain hurts ... Didi I see something about " standardizing suitability " ?

I foresee " the little people are all unsuitable . "

This would be it:

Section 19 makes FID cards may issue if you are deemed "suitable".

Sections 19, and 26 - which refers to LTC-A's (still may issue) - include the following

"The executive office of public safety and security, with the advice and recommendations of the
Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association and the gun control advisory board, shall promulgate rules
and regulations establishing uniform standards that specify, clarify or define what constitutes a suitable
person for the purposes of issuing a license pursuant to this paragraph. "

Recall that they also ask, in section 34, MCOPA + gun control advisory board to set criteria for basic firearms training classes.

So they are attempting to pass off accountability to these unelected groups.
Is MCOPA even an officially sanctioned (governmental) organization?

I predict a whole bunch of NESr's are going to lose their licenses come renewal time.

It is obvious Deleo and the other antis want that 300K number to be even lower.

Ok, so how do we get involved? We all need to start making phone calls to our reps. What's the most effective thing we can say when we call them?

Letters, on paper. Make sure that you are a registered voter, because letters from on voters go directly into the shredder.

Tell them specifically what you oppose (opposing the entirety of a bill this complex is probably counter productive), why, and what you think that part of the bill should say. Get everyone you know who is a registered voter to write as well.

It might not help, but not writing a letter is the best way to guarantee that legislators will say that they didn't get any opposition to the bill.

Let's not repeat the mistake of 1998 by letting at bill slide right by and be enacted.

The worst part of this bill is the elimination of FTF transfers. At least I think so, but no doubt other people have different opinions.

I've only read through this once, so I'm sure I missed sections. Getting rid of Class B licenses is a good thing. Some of the other stuff is what gun owners have said we want in regards to enforcing current laws and improving mental health care. At least on the surface, but we have to look at the wording carefully to make sure there are no land mines in it.

Start reading now, but you really need a bill number before you submit comments. Legislators will tell you that they can't review a bill until the Clerk of the House assigns a bill number. At that point it will be assigned to a committee for hearings and mark up.

After letters, it's attending hearings (although that is sometimes an exercise in futility), and hopefully some rallies on the Common or in front of the State House.

Keep in mind that there is an election coming up for Governor and all members of the legislature. This is the time to start pushing back to get some of these things amended.

I just got the email from GOAL about this. It includes the summary which seems to contain some misinformation - particularly section 30 (in the summary) which refers to requiring people to send a list of their firearms upon renewal, which does not seem to be present in the actual bill..... [thinking]

The summary is from DeLeo's office. GOAL is reviewing the actual bill now and will release a response tomorrow.

As long as the liberals keep getting elected, this will continue.

I truly believe their strategy is not to overturn the second amendment, but make it so hard and so expensive that the majority of people will not pursue having a firearm.

It is working really well in states that do not have a balance of differing opinions in government.

A good friend of mine spent more than 20 years in the Mass. House of Representatives. He told me that all the Dems must follow what the speaker wants, or bad consequences follow.

It is like a dictatorship.

And Patrick wants to put the tough gun control stuff on his reusme to court other liberals when he runs for president.

I truly believe their strategy is not to overturn the second amendment, but make it so hard and so expensive that the majority of people will not pursue having a firearm.

It is working really well in states that do not have a balance of differing opinions in government.

A good friend of mine spent more than 20 years in the Mass. House of Representatives. He told me that all the Dems must follow what the speaker wants, or bad consequences follow.

And Patrick wants to put the tough gun control stuff on his reusme to court other liberals when he runs for president.

That's why I send all my letters requesting action to Santa instead of to my representatives on Beacon Hill. At least Santa doesn't dick me around with a form letter response acknowledging my concern and promising to do the opposite of what I want him to do.

Things I get concerned about with the new law - given this state:

1) Mental - do they now determine that anyone, who has ever spoken to a therapist is a DQ? Could this include a school counselor who chats with you after you get in a dust up because some dope punches you first.
2) Standard Restrictions on a Class A - does this mean (through regulation - not law) that no one (other than a beautiful person) could get an ALP anymore?
3) Could the AG put every gun made on 'The list' and since there will be no more FTF, no more guns in Mass?

Just thinking - and knowing how this state operates - it concerns me.

It is a dictatorship, not like one.

SECTION 19. Section 129B of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out
paragraph (1) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-

(1) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or
any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit
to the licensing authority an application for a firearm identification card, or renewal of the same, which
the licensing authority may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued a card
and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason,
including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, unless the applicant:

Does this basically force you to prove that you are in fear of injury to get an unrestricted license or is it just me?

How bad is it? I can't read all these pages at work. Cliff notes please.

Not as bad as it could be. A lot worse than it should be. There's a lot of crap like all FTFs have to go through a dealer, FID becomes May Issue, requirement to list all guns you've lost, had stolen or sold when renewing your license, "standardized suitability" (whatever that means) for licenses, the requirement that firearms licenses now have the Suicide Hotline listed on them, etc.

It's a bunch of BS that basically is written to make lawful gun owners feel like they are the cause of all crime and violence in the state.

Well they finally got it in there. This part below will make many many people prohibated.

"b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year;"

not sure there are any one year misdemeanor's

current wording

b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than two years;

They took the federal wording but not the federal def for the wording. So convicted of any crime in mass and you are now a PP They are blind siding everyone.

SECTION 26. Section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out paragraph (d) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-
(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or targetpractice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:
(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of: (a) a felony; b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C; or (f) a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(33);

Last edited:
from the Globe.
Under the bill, which DeLeo said he hoped could be enacted by the end of this legislative session in July, the discretion by police chiefs to issue handguns to applicants would be extended to rifles and shotguns, the state would join a national database to check the backgrounds of applicants, and all private sales of firearms would have to occur in the presence of a licensed firearms dealer.

This would effectively end the fid. Why bother with an fid if it has the exact same criteria and cost as the ltc. In their ineptness they will increase the number of ltc's.

I don't think this is as bad as it could have been. Maybe I haven't seen the worst of this bill, in either words or practice, but it doesn't seem to have CT-levels of bullshit in it. Kind of sad to think that I may have done my last FTF in a Dunkin Donuts/WalMart/Sears/Babies R US/Borders/etc. parking lot though.

This would effectively end the fid. Why bother with an fid if it has the exact same criteria and cost as the ltc. In their ineptness they will increase the number of ltc's.

The FID would still be needed for people age 15 to 20.

Sounds like on renewal, they can restrict you for no reason. Or even a new license.

A lot of FFL's won't even get involved with off list transfers now.

And a May issue FID? Wow.

Well they finally got it in there. This part below will make many many people prohibated.

"b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year;"

They took the federal wording but not the federal def for the wording. So convicted of any crime in mass and you are now a PP They are blind siding everyone.

SECTION 26. Section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out paragraph (d) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-
(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or targetpractice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:
(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of: (a) a felony; b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C; or (f) a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(33);

This is true. Currently MGL ch 140 section 131 (d) (i) (b) is 2 years. This bill makes it 1.

Gotta love it.

In parts of the law they abdicate responsibility for writing the suitability standards to unelected bureaucrats. Those standards are at the very heart of a person's constitutional rights and it's going to be done in secret by the GUN CONTROL Advisory Board (not the "Constitutional Rights Protection Board") and sprung on us 180 days after the bill passes, and all of the politicians will get to say "Hey, *I* didn't write the standards, I might not have written them this way, but it's up to them. Go talk to the Gun Control Board".

In another part, they set in stone a $25 cap for an FFL processing fee.

In still another part (actually both sections 22 and 30) they talk about having people verify on an affidavit that they have not lost or had stolen a firearm, but they don't say HOW that verification is to be accomplished. I'm guessing that form will be left up to some bureaucrat at FRB who, if memory serves, is responsible for the application form. My guess is that they will require you to list all of the guns in your possession in order to determine and verify that you haven't lost one or had one stolen.

Kind of sad to think that I may have done my last FTF in a Dunkin Donuts/WalMart/Sears/Babies R US/Borders/etc. parking lot though.

So do a few more before the hammer falls! Take me for instance, I'm thinking of putting a few things in the classifieds tonight...

WTS: PACKAGE DEAL Y'ALL!!!!

Gen2 Glock 19. 7 preban 15rnd mags, Don Hume IWB holster, tupperwear, mag loader and owners manual
Ruger LCP. 2 pinky extension 6rnd mags, High Noon IWB holster, box, owners manual

2 GUNZ... 1 PRICE!!!..... $1500.

(must sell before 7/31/2014)

[rofl]

You guys have this wrong. The value will drop because it will no longer be able to be sold, hence not worth the higher than free state sale cost. Would you buy something who's value will drop 50% when the bill passes.

Gen 2 Glocks will go up in value, but modern compliant ones will go down.

Have fun with all this hysteria, I'm not too concerned regardless. Every time these meathead moonbats come up with something new I usually find a hole a bus can be driven through. It's really kind of hilarious.

-Mike

Come to NES for you most up-to-date news in the firearms world!! Why not? I do.

Also, consider that somewhere, there is a MA official reading this thread and laughing him/herself silly watching us freak out and trip all over ourselves in hysteria. CHICKEN LITTLE, BITCHES.

I'm going to crack a Yuengling and bring the blood pressure down just a tad.
Want to crack one for me too? Yikes.
Its not a bill yet but we need to be vocal with our elected officials.

I don't get "freaked out" over this crap anymore, I refuse to. Is it obnoxious? Sure... we can either deal with the reality at hand though (and find ways to fight it or work around it, or just ignore it, risk pending) or we can armflap and piss ourselves with fear over "what ifs" but that option isn't very productive.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom