Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent. Exactly the kinds of things I was looking for!
(not just a frat, either. hazing goes on in lots of different (and younger!) situations.)
At the moment the GOAL seat is vacant.
Why?
+2

From the bill:

(b) Each school district, charter school, approved private day or residential school and collaborative
school shall develop and adhere to a plan to address the general mental health needs of its students,
including their families, teachers and school administrators. Each plan shall also address the potential
need for emergency and acute treatment for students, including their families, teachers and school
administrators as a result of a tragedy or crisis within the district or school. Before September 1 of each
year, each school district, charter school, approved private day or residential school and collaborative
school shall review and update its plan to achieve best practices.

How is it that a school can be concerned with anyone other than the student?

This is a very powerful section right here as it goes far beyond just gun owners

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the punishment for DUI was in 1994 right before MA changed it to 2 1/2 years? This will affect many people.

Various google hits say it was 2 years prior to 94, but I haven't found anything official that confirms.

Also, the way the bill is written the incident wouldn't have to be in MA. The penalty for a first time DUI in NH is 2 years, for example. I would bet that there are plenty of licensed gun owners who have an old DUI from another state hiding in their closets.

It's not just DUI either of course. There are many misdemeanors that carry a potential sentence of a year or more.

Last edited:
It seems the 5 year wait(non violent misdemeanor over year) is for FID no Ltc. And a pre 1994 misdemeanor conviction was max 2 years.

Nope, it's in there for both FID and LTC. And it's not just a 5 year wait, it's a permanent DQ.

This is the LTC version, the FID version is pretty much word-for-word:
SECTION 26. Section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out paragraph (d) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-

(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:

(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of: (a) a felony; (b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C; or (f) a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(33);

(ii) is or has been: (a) confined to any hospital or institution for mental illness, unless the applicant submits with his application an affidavit of a registered physician attesting that such physician is familiar with the applicant's mental illness and that in such physician's opinion the applicant is not disabled by such an illness in a manner that should prevent such applicant from possessing a firearm; (b) committed by an order of a court to any hospital or institution for mental illness, unless the applicant was granted a petition for relief of the court’s order pursuant to section 36C of chapter 123 and submits a copy of the order for relief with his or her application; or (c) subject to a current order of the probate court appointing a guardian or conservator for a incapacitated person on the grounds that that applicant lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his or her own affairs, unless the applicant was granted a petition for relief and submits a copy of the order for relief with his or her application.

(iii) is or has been: (a) under treatment for or confinement for drug addiction or habitual drunkenness, unless such applicant is deemed to be cured of such condition by a licensed physician, and such applicant may make application for such license after the expiration of five years from the date of such confinement or treatment and upon presentment of an affidavit issued by such physician stating that such physician knows the applicant's history of treatment and that in such physician's opinion the applicant is deemed cured, or; (b) found to be a substance abuser and committed pursuant to section 35 of chapter 123, unless the applicant was granted a petition for relief of the court’s order pursuant to said section 35 and submits a copy of the order for relief with his or her application;

(iv) is at the time of the application less than 21 years of age;

(v) is an alien;

(vi) is currently subject to: (A) an order for suspension or surrender issued pursuant to section 3B or 3C of chapter 209A or a similar order issued by another jurisdiction; or (B) a permanent or temporary protection order issued pursuant to chapter 209A or a similar order issued by another jurisdiction, including any such order described in 18 U.S.C. section 922(g)(8);

(vii) is currently the subject of an outstanding arrest warrant in any state or federal jurisdiction;

(viii) has been discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions;

(ix)is a fugitive from justice; or

(x) having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship.

The executive office of public safety and security, with the advice and recommendations of the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association and the gun control advisory board, shall promulgate rules and regulations establishing uniform standards that specify, clarify or define what constitutes a suitable person for the purposes of issuing a license pursuant to this paragraph.

Last edited:
So now the bill is out there and the cat is out of the bag.

But I have one questions. How will this bill reduce gun violence?

It will GREATLY begin (in addition to even more Mass legislation to come, every time some rich punk loser kid shoots up a group of "good kids") reduce gun violence, because, eventually, the surviving (i.e. those of us who are forced to stay in this sh*thole) law abiding citizens will not be allowed to legally purchase, own, carry etc....
Just think, the bad guys will have NO ARMED RESISTANCE! Therefore, by extension, there will eventually be much less gun violence in MA cuz now EVERYONE will be like the gun-control pussies you see and hear from constantly.
Disarmed SHEEP, awaiting slaughter, unable to resist or fight back against armed assailants who will rape your wife, steal everything you own, etc.

A peaceful society, now free of gun violence.

Aren't you getting warm and fuzzy all over as you sip your iced caramel latte at the gun-free-zone Starbucks???

Last edited:
Fact is most if not all of this sh*t will pass. Big reason is we are the minority and have very little voice or representation. Im member of more than a dozen groups including GOAL and frankly do not see our local GOAL group anymore than a minor voice in this fight. Not sure if they are jsut understaffed or out of their league but we need a much more savy voice when dealing with the Mass Pols. Im moving in short time out of here but still want to fight this crap since it does nothing more than create criminals of law abiding people and nothing to actually fight crime. Rosenthall is like a mini me Bloomberg. He is buying his legislation and frankly doing a great job at it. We need a proactive leader who can be in the face of pols daily and not just be on a panel to "discuss" how gun owners will be boned this time around.

Sent from the blind

The more I'm reading and learning about this, the more I'm wondering how much of it is...

A) To be used for bargaining, compromises, negotiating.

B) Spite, sticking it to gun owners because of Newtown

C) Stupidity, ignorance.

D) All of the above.

Next, we jut have to see what Naughtons bill is like.

I expect (hope), it'll be at least a little more sane (it sure can't be worse).

Im member of more than a dozen groups including GOAL and frankly do not see our local GOAL group anymore than a minor voice in this fight. Not sure if they are jsut understaffed or out of their league but we need a much more savy voice when dealing with the Mass Pols.

300,000+ MA gun owners, 15,000 GOAL members....

Power is in numbers, too many gun owners in MA don't care.

Nope, it's in there for both FID and LTC. And it's not just a 5 year wait, it's a permanent DQ.

This is the LTC version, the FID version is pretty much word-for-word:

Doesn't look to be a permanent disqualifier.

"(i) has ever, in a court of the commonwealth, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child, both as defined in section 52 of chapter 119, for the commission of: (a) a felony; (b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances, as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C including, but not limited to, a violation under said chapter 94C; or (f) a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(33); provided, however, that except for the commission of a felony, a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, a violent crime or a crime involving the trafficking of controlled substances, if the applicant has been so convicted or adjudicated or released from confinement, probation or parole supervision for such conviction or adjudication, whichever is last occurring, not less than 5 years immediately preceding such application, such applicant's right or ability to possess a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun shall be deemed restored in the commonwealth with respect to such conviction or adjudication and such conviction or adjudication shall not disqualify such applicant for a firearm identification card;"

Last edited:
Fact is most if not all of this sh*t will pass. Big reason is we are the minority and have very little voice or representation. Im member of more than a dozen groups including GOAL and frankly do not see our local GOAL group anymore than a minor voice in this fight. Not sure if they are jsut understaffed or out of their league but we need a much more savy voice when dealing with the Mass Pols. Im moving in short time out of here but still want to fight this crap since it does nothing more than create criminals of law abiding people and nothing to actually fight crime. Rosenthall is like a mini me Bloomberg. He is buying his legislation and frankly doing a great job at it. We need a proactive leader who can be in the face of pols daily and not just be on a panel to "discuss" how gun owners will be boned this time around.

Sent from the blind

Every time I receive another email from GOAL about the "weekend turkey shoot" or ham and bean supper and raffle at the church, I realize why we're looked at as Fudds by the mainstream, and realize how much time is wasted on meaningless stuff like that (by an organization I respect yet wish they'd skip the "fun stuff" and focus more on the sad state of affairs in this CommonPuke of LiberChusetts).
I'd rather see an in-your-face Gun Owners of America approach to these virulent Anti's, but, alas, what are our alternatives to GOAL?

The more I'm reading and learning about this, the more I'm wondering how much of it is...

A) To be used for bargaining, compromises, negotiating.

B) Spite, sticking it to gun owners because of Newtown

C) Stupidity, ignorance.

D) All of the above.

Next, we jut have to see what Naughtons bill is like.

I expect (hope), it'll be at least a little more sane (it sure can't be worse).

I don't think there will be much bargaining on this one. I'm still reading but so far this one reads like it was written to pass quickly, unlike Linksy's bill that felt like more of a PR stunt. There's not a whole lot in there that a typical Beacon Hill politician would stick their neck out to oppose.

I don't understand this whole, "tell us what you bought since last time" isn't this just a bid redundant considering we have that system essentially in place already? If I buy three guns from a dealer, and two through private sales with eFa10s, they already ****ing know, so why do I need to hand in a list? That just seems odd as shit to me.

Doesn't look to be a permanent disqualifier.

"(i) has ever, in a court of the commonwealth, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child, both as defined in section 52 of chapter 119, for the commission of: (a) a felony; (b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances, as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C including, but not limited to, a violation under said chapter 94C; or (f) a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(33); provided, however, that except for the commission of a felony, a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, a violent crime or a crime involving the trafficking of controlled substances, if the applicant has been so convicted or adjudicated or released from confinement, probation or parole supervision for such conviction or adjudication, whichever is last occurring, not less than 5 years immediately preceding such application, such applicant's right or ability to possess a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun shall be deemed restored in the commonwealth with respect to such conviction or adjudication and such conviction or adjudication shall not disqualify such applicant for a firearm identification card;"

Ahh, yes. That's in the current FID law already if I recall correctly. (But not in the LTC law. That one is permanent.)

this is odd are they proposing that I have to inform them what I have in my possession at that time of renewal.....yeah I don't think so. im writing mr de-nutbag right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom