Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real problem here is that the bill is designed to REDUCE the number of people who can own guns. They've reduced the misdemeanor prohibition from two years to one and made it more difficult to satisfy the mandatory training requirement.

It's difficult to see the provisions aimed at gun owners as anything other than a continuation of the state's long-term objective of minimizing the number of gun owners in the Commonwealth.

Last edited:
The real problem here is that the bill is designed to REDUCE the number of people who can own guns. They've reduced the misdemeanor prohibition from two years to one and made it more difficult to satisfy the mandatory training requirement.

Yup.
Although it should probably say "...the number of people who can LEGALLY own guns." [hmmm]

Maybe....just maybe...between the changing of the FID to may issue and the misdemeanor change.....MAYBE some of the fudd's will finally get their collective heads out of their asses and wake the EFF up and do something.

Last edited:

It's difficult to see the provisions aimed at gun owners as anything other than a continuation of the state's long-term objective of minimizing the number of gun owners in the Commonwealth.

The reduction from 2 year to 1 year is unreal and I'd love to see that stricken from the bill. How long before they say 30 days HOC, or a fine over X dollars?

So, how long before they start confiscation of all the guns in the hands of the newly DQed?

How about someone sues this guy for violating peoples constitutional rights.These laws do absolutely nothing to stop any crimes.Where are the stats of legal gun owners actually committing crimes. I bet less than 1% of Massachusetts gun crime is committed by licensed owners.

They want to let EOPS (with input from MCOPA and the GCAB) define what "suitable person" means for each and every town across the board. Even if the local chief still ~technically~ has discretion, he's not going to go against MCOPA. It'll be very clinical I'm sure.

Do you really think MCOPA would strong-arm all the chiefs to adhere to their guidelines? Or rather, what incentive would individual chiefs have for following MCOPA?

What exactly is MCOPA anyways? I was under the impression that it is a sort of "trade organization" for the MA Chiefs of Police - which is to say - a private, and non-governmental, organization. Is that description accurate?

What really bugs me about this is that it is so obviously targeted at licensed owners. Nothing to target gang members who always seem to be in the Herald despite a lifetime of gun/robbery/drug/assault convictions. Like someone else said, gun violence in this state is confined to just a few zip codes. If they really wanted to reduce gun violence they need to end the catch and release of those who "were turning their life around"!

They did stiffen the penalties for carjacking and armed b&e to a minimum 7 years in state prison or 2-2.5 years in the House of Corrections. The also stiffened the penalty for improper storage to a 4 year state prison sentence. I wonder if they are allowed to set these sentences consecutively vs concurrently. It would be one way to stack the deck and get a longer sentence for a criminal convicted of a crime involving a firearm.

PS - I'm not a life long resident of MA...is House of Corrections basically the county lockup?

So in reading the full text which is difficult. If you have been arrested but never convicted of any crime then you are still in the clear with regards to that section?

How about someone sues this guy for violating peoples constitutional rights.These laws do absolutely nothing to stop any crimes.Where are the stats of legal gun owners actually committing crimes. I bet less than 1% of Massachusetts gun crime is committed by licensed owners.

Well, if the bill passes, we will get to see an annual report from the Staties showing where all of the guns used in the commission of a crime came from. Let's just hope that they don't doctor the numbers to "prove" that the laws are working.

The reduction from 2 year to 1 year is unreal and I'd love to see that stricken from the bill. How long before they say 30 days HOC, or a fine over X dollars?

So, how long before they start confiscation of all the guns in the hands of the newly DQed?

Maybe I'm just being naive, but I'm thinking they didn't think that part through, got poor to no consultation on the consequences, or just threw it out there out of ignorance.

Or, maybe they're more clever and crafty than I give them credit for... whatever.

Their intention as they put it, was to keep more in line with existing Federal law, yet Federal law clearly states that only misdemeanors that carry a potential max penalty of more than two years are a disqualifier.

I really can't reasonably see this being passed without a major shit storm.

Denying someone their right to purchase, posses and keep firearms for mundane shit like...

GAMBLING, ALLOWING PERSONS UNDER 21 SUBSQ. OFF

IGNITION INTERLOCK, PERMIT OPERATION WITHOUT, SUBSQ. OFF

RACING MOTOR VEHICLE

Etc.

Even Linskys bile and NY's SAFE act wasn't this off the charts retarded.

Last edited:

Here's a fun legal game of twister- I was convicted of violations in NH in 1997 and 1999. Both were EXPUNGED. Do these Orwellian proposals cover out of state convictions for violations that post 1994 would be misdefelonies in MA after the passage of these "common sense" gun laws?

Well, if the bill passes, we will get to see an annual report from the Staties showing where all of the guns used in the commission of a crime came from. Let's just hope that they don't doctor the numbers to "prove" that the laws are working.

Doesnt matter- Democrats want control, Liberals want to control EVERYTHING

WOW- 158 pages and growing. Welkome to The Free, Sovereign and Liberated Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts.

From page 8 - Perjury, or abetting perjury, as to voter qualification: 1 yr. misdemeanor.

I thought we got bonus points for that in the PRM?

They are purposely trying to prohibit people right out of the gate. There could be hundreds of people who will lose their LTC's in MA for life.

Hundreds. Prob thousands. Almost anytime you go in front of a judge the
Term of punishment is most likely more than one year.
They are hoping nobody worries about this part and it gets left in
This in it self will prohibit thousands of now legal gun owners

It'll get left in. Name even one Beacon Hill politician who would stick their neck out to fight that provision. Now name 80 more.

Hey, on the bright side after a five year "timeout" you can ask for an FID card like a 15 year old. You might even get it, depending on what EOPS has to say about it.

Last edited:

I must have overlooked this one - which section number in the bill is this detailed in?

I must have overlooked this one - which section number in the bill is this detailed in?

SECTION 26. Section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out paragraph (d) and inserting in place thereof the following paragraph:-
(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a suitable person to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or targetpractice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:
(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of: (a) a felony; b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C; or (f) a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as that term is defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(33);

Sounds like game over.. Let's hope for a miracle

Call and write the reps. It's a hell of a long shot but you never know. Maybe we can at least delay it until the session is over, then IIRC we only need one vote to bury it.

- - - Updated - - -

so according to section 26 if you have never been convicted...then its not an issue correct ?

You'll still have suitability to deal with, but yes.

and the suitability is determined by whom the local pd??

Call and write the reps. It's a hell of a long shot but you never know. Maybe we can at least delay it until the session is over, then IIRC we only need one vote to bury it.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll still have suitability to deal with, but yes.

I don't understand this whole, "tell us what you bought since last time" isn't this just a bid redundant considering we have that system essentially in place already? If I buy three guns from a dealer, and two through private sales with eFa10s, they already ****ing know, so why do I need to hand in a list? That just seems odd as shit to me.

The goal is to require so many onerous things for you to follow to stay legal that eventually you will trip up and then they will either throw you in jail (and make you a PP) or defer the jail sentence, take your license away and still make you a PP for life in Mass. The end goal is no more legal gun owners in the state except for "the beautiful people."

Here's a fun legal game of twister- I was convicted of violations in NH in 1997 and 1999. Both were EXPUNGED. Do these Orwellian proposals cover out of state convictions for violations that post 1994 would be misdefelonies in MA after the passage of these "common sense" gun laws?

If it was expunged in NH then it is if it never happened.

Thanks, I failed to read (i) from that section.

"(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of: (a) a felony; b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year;"

Just to be clear - is the main issue with "misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year" that one does not need to actually be imprisoned for a year, rather the fact that there was a possibility of a 1 year sentence will become a disqualifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom