• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns that never should have been discontinued

Winchester Model 42 (410 Bore) and Model 12 (28 Ga.)

The Most Fun Guns to Shoot ;)

Oh how I miss them all :(

ZWc

MDAwWg
I finally picked up a super clean Model 12 to SBS. 7 rounds of slam-fire is going to make a nice shorty shotty.

I’ve never owned a Red Label and wasn’t aware they went away. I had friends who did though and I saw some questionable fit and finish. I know a lot of folks hated the auto safety too.

Auto safety is easily disabled is desired. I happen to prefer it on my field guns. They were built like tanks, lock up like a vault. Plus they were made on 3 different frame sizes where most manufacturers just had 2 frame sizes and hung 28ga barrels off their 20 ga frames. They all fit me very well and I shoot them better than my other more expensive guns.

View: https://youtu.be/uD3ZlAt_o5g

I’ve never owned a Red Label and wasn’t aware they went away. I had friends who did though and I saw some questionable fit and finish. I know a lot of folks hated the auto safety too.
Saw a "gently used" red label split the stock on the first shot. Guy bought it from a friend.....went to the club trap range to test it out. First shot the stock came apart.

Saw a "gently used" red label split the stock on the first shot. Guy bought it from a friend.....went to the club trap range to test it out. First shot the stock came apart.

I bought my 12 ga used in 1998. I have put thousands of rounds through it without any issues. Luck of the draw I guess.

View attachment 709506

…not “discontinued,” per se, and Brownell’s has had newer versions available periodically. But the AR180 deserved better and there should be a lot more of them.
I've got 2 SBRs built with the BRN180, they are awsome, function flawlessly, and I like having the folding stock. I.m keep my eyes open for an original AR180.

Daewoo K-100. Lots of fun; easy to clean; AR mags. Not as accurate, but good enough.

This. A Damn shame they discontinued this rifle.
I didn't think so. Wanted a bolt action that could shoot inexpensive 7.62x39. It would not reliable feed the steel case ammo with it's "rim must make it under the extractor" system.
The Ruger 77 series bolt guns, they were really nice for the money. Specifically the 77/17.
Got one in 7.62x39 after getting rid of the CZ-527. Came with a "boat paddle" stock, which hurt, so I ditched it for a regular stock. No "extended mag" (dumb for only 5 shots) sticking out of the bottom and ruining the balance. Sooo sweet! Had to sell it to pay bills. Never should have.
I've only tried a camp 45 a guy at the club let me shoot a year ago. Does the camp 9 launch spent brass 50 feet like the camp 45 does?
Somewhat, but not as bad (haven't shot the 45 version). Had one (retail purchase in 1985) for $149. Dealer cost when I got an FFL 3 years later was $221. The only thing I didn't like was trying to disassamble them for cleaning. PITA.

German MG42 (guessing it is no longer around)

Good list, but in a way? The MG42 lives on.

Its principles and mechanisms lived on in the M60 and the M240. Kinda like how, earlier, I was lamenting the AR180, even though all its important features went into most other modern short-stroke gas systems made since the '70s.

That's reassuring, in a way. These great designs of the past never fully went away.

I could never figure out why Marlin never brought back the Camp 9 and Camp 45. They're fun and popular little PCCs that use easy to find magazines and that are easy to work on.
I'm fortunate to have one of each, and I shoot both regularly.
There's a pretty Camp 9 for sale in the classifieds. NIB I think.

Sales tanked.
A damn shame. :( I really loved the P227, but it never made the MA Approved Roster and that was before other options for us became more common.

These days, I have more than enough .45's, but I'd still have to take seriously any used one that popped up for sale in top condition. [thumbsup]

They got too expensive and no one wanted metal framed handguns at three times the cost of a Glock. Certainly not LE, their biggest market. At the end the LE price was approaching 900.
... and yet now we see S&W starting to offer metal-framed versions of their M&P series (not to mention the CSX). Not giveaway cheap either.

I know they are not coming back in this age of cheap plastic wonders, but I still enjoy shooting them. [thumbsup]

Good list, but in a way? The MG42 lives on.

Its principles and mechanisms lived on in the M60 and the M240. Kinda like how, earlier, I was lamenting the AR180, even though all its important features went into most other modern short-stroke gas systems made since the '70s.

That's reassuring, in a way. These great designs of the past never fully went away.
Um..how about the MG3? [rofl]

interesting choice. if i remember correctly, when they were available, no one really liked them. that was the grip squeeze cock to shoot, designed for the west german police, after the olympic debacle, was it not? the trigger pull was outlandishly...heavy and squishy? but now, prices are through the roof. wish i had one if it's the pistol i described.
So the earlier P7s had two issues. One, they got fairly hot when shot a lot due to the gas piston under the barrel. Second, the heel magazine release was not US popular. The P7m8 fixed those issues but it was still an 8 shot pistol. They had a following but were expensive even when they were sold. But the trigger is very good, like a 1911 since the squeeze mechanism cocks the gun. I think what killed it was higher capacity 9s for less money and the failure of LE to adopt it. Connecticut tried them with the state police but they kept shooting themselves when they drew the gun I think and retired them.

So the earlier P7s had two issues. One, they got fairly hot when shot a lot due to the gas piston under the barrel. Second, the heel magazine release was not US popular. The P7m8 fixed those issues but it was still an 8 shot pistol. They had a following but were expensive even when they were sold. But the trigger is very good, like a 1911 since the squeeze mechanism cocks the gun. I think what killed it was higher capacity 9s for less money and the failure of LE to adopt it. Connecticut tried them with the state police but they kept shooting themselves when they drew the gun I think and retired them.

The other problem is the P7 didn't lend itself to modern manufacturing. The guns were like a swiss watch..... not something that could get easily churned out for cheap. If HK ever brought it back they could sell them for 2k and they'd fly out the door..... they were about 12-1300 bucks before manufacturing completely stopped.

Back
Top Bottom