• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns that never should have been discontinued

Well, at shot show, it looks like Ruger is gonna have the Marlin 336 in 30-30, and 1894 in 44 mag, available this year. How available they will be who knows?

So I guess we can take them off the list now.
I wonder why they went 44 over the 357? I always thought the 357 had a larger following.
I can’t wait to get my hands on one either way.

If quality is nice I would get rid of my guide gun for a trapper. Those suckers are cool.

Well, at shot show, it looks like Ruger is gonna have the Marlin 336 in 30-30, and 1894 in 44 mag, available this year. How available they will be who knows?

a 44 mag lever action would be a welcome thing!

its fun to hunt with both revolver and rifle in the same caliber, like for bear in MA.
and 44 mag is a relatively available caliber

a 44 mag lever action would be a welcome thing!

its fun to hunt with both revolver and rifle in the same caliber, like for bear in MA.
and 44 mag is a relatively available caliber
Agreed. I would think there’s more casual plinkers or cowboy action shooters in MA that would prefer the 38/357 combo.
357 is capable for a blackbear too. 180 grain close to 1800 is no slouch.

Agreed. I would think there’s more casual plinkers or cowboy action shooters in MA that would prefer the 38/357 combo.
357 is capable for a blackbear too. 180 grain close to 1800 is no slouch.
it is a uniquely MA thing. here the forests are so dense that you are LUCKY to have a 100 yard shot at something.
its not like in CO where you are shooting from one mountain peak to another one 1/2 a mile away in the total clear.

so a rifle with a big iron revolver slug has a fairly good chance of still being accurate at the 100 yards.

when i bear hunt here, i do so with a .454 revolver and a .454 lever action Rossi rifle. it works out pretty well

it is a uniquely MA thing. here the forests are so dense that you are LUCKY to have a 100 yard shot at something.
its not like in CO where you are shooting from one mountain peak to another one 1/2 a mile away in the total clear.

so a rifle with a big iron revolver slug has a fairly good chance of still being accurate at the 100 yards.
I’m not disputing that. I guess I shouldn’t have said in MA. I meant I would think overall the lever gun having been reborn though cowboy action sports I would think that the 38/357 model was the king but I’m apparently wrong. I’m sure Ruger did the research and knew what to make first.

Then again they might have some engineering issue. Kind of like how Remlin couldn’t make the magazine tubes for the 444 and the company that used to supply them (owner of a machine shop that also worked for the old Marlin) was no longer doing business with them.
That whole order kept Remlin out of the 444 game even though people were calling for it.

I wonder why they went 44 over the 357? I always thought the 357 had a larger following.

If quality is nice I would get rid of my guide gun for a trapper. Those suckers are cool.
The guy at the show pulled out an 1894 in .44 mag. as an example. They could be making a .357 or 45LC this year too as its probably the same barrel just drilled a different dimensions?

Either way these will probably come in small lots and be relatively overpriced or unobtainium for a good while is my guess. Just like the Marlin 1895's are now.

The guy at the show pulled out an 1894 in .44 mag. as an example. They could be making a .357 or 45LC this year too as its probably the same barrel just drilled a different dimensions?

Either way these will probably come in small lots and be relatively overpriced or unobtainium for a good while is my guess. Just like the Marlin 1895's are now.
Good point.

When things normalize I’m going to need a trapper. I can feel it in my bones.

I will buy the first 1894 I can get my hands on that's not way overpriced. My guess that may be over a year from now, unless gun sales fall off a cliff.

Quality leverguns in popular calibers like .44 mag fly off shelves. I can't even find a Henry sidegate in .44 mag for sale, so i picked up a Rossi.

I will buy the first 1894 I can get my hands on that's not way overpriced. My guess that may be over a year from now, unless gun sales fall off a cliff.

Quality leverguns in popular calibers like .44 mag fly off shelves. I can't even find a Henry sidegate in .44 mag for sale, so i picked up a Rossi.
my rossi has held up surprisingly well. i have hunted with it for over a decade. i EXPECTED it to fall apart after one use. [rofl] it is in stainless steel, which is a bonus hunting in the wet woods here in NE. the lever mechanism is pretty high tech, and it needed some high tech synthetic lube to keep it running in the cold. to handle the pressure of the .454, they have some fancy flat rods popping up and down as you chamber the bullet.

1674058283421.png

the only issue with that rossi, the wooden stock has a crack in it now that i need to work on

Last edited:

If it's Ruger running it, they'll promise it, and it will be 3 years before they are available. And the first two years worth will have recalls up the tail...

my rossi has held up surprisingly well. i have hunted with it for over a decade. i EXPECTED it to fall apart after one use. [rofl] it is in stainless steel, which is a bonus hunting in the wet woods here in NE. the lever mechanism is pretty high tech, and it needed some high tech synthetic lube to keep it running in the cold. to handle the pressure of the .454, they have some fancy flat rods popping up and down as you chamber the bullet.

View attachment 710800

the only issue with that rossi, the wooden stock has a crack in it now that i need to work on
You might want to just buy a stock, I think when i was last on the website, they weren't that expensive for a replacement.

Shot the new Rossi yesterday, its a fun bastard to shoot.

If they are smart, they will short stroke the 357 and build it so it qualifies for Cowboy Action (which is not hard to do).

But they stopped their Vaquero production, so I will not get too excited about it.

Back
Top Bottom