Hammock Camping Thread

That is in fact the video I was talking about. You can leave the rope setup on the rings and pack it as is. Clip the strap around a tree on each end, pull each string till taught and you're done. Maybe two minutes start to finish.

Find his video that shows the quick release set up too.

Is this thread still active?

Camped in a hammock for the first time for a few days up in the backcountry traveling by boat. Even after a long day, pitching the Hennesy without any special quick release rig was no problem and much faster than a tent. One night I actually found two trees which overhung the water and used them. An amazing way to sleep and I'm never going back to tents.

I will say that I used a Hennesy with a double-layered bottom and that using a pad, for insulation, between the layers is mandatory. In a 40 degree sleeping bag and no pad, I froze my balls off at 55 degrees or so. With a pad it was toasty.

Is this thread still active?

Camped in a hammock for the first time for a few days up in the backcountry traveling by boat. Even after a long day, pitching the Hennesy without any special quick release rig was no problem and much faster than a tent. One night I actually found two trees which overhung the water and used them. An amazing way to sleep and I'm never going back to tents.

I will say that I used a Hennesy with a double-layered bottom and that using a pad, for insulation, between the layers is mandatory. In a 40 degree sleeping bag and no pad, I froze my balls off at 55 degrees or so. With a pad it was toasty.

I just got my Hennessy today, I'm planning on making an underquilt for it as I have surplus "scrap" comforters. I'll be using it for camping during a moose hunt in a few weeks.

I spent the last couple of days corresponding with David Meck of Hammek. I have decided that I am going to purchase one of their hammocks, but keep my own suspension (I like the Atlas slings). Going to order an 11' Netty on Monday.

I'm planning on making an underquilt for it as I have surplus "scrap" comforters.

My buddy just ordered 3 Army surplus poncho liners from Midway to make 3 underquilts. I'm waiting to order an underquilt until I see what he comes up with, but I'm going to need something for the November camp out.

Last edited:
I spent the last couple of days corresponding with David Meck of Hammek. I have decided that I am going to purchase one of their hammocks, but keep my own suspension (I like the Atlas slings). Going to order an 11' Netty on Monday.

My buddy just ordered 3 Army surplus poncho liners from Midway to make 3 underquilts. I'm waiting to order an underquilt until I see what he comes up with, but I'm going to need something for the November camp out.

Pretty fair pricing on the Netty, I ended up going with the Hennessy with snake skins as they seem to be pretty well regarded, $143 on amazon.

I'm going to try the repelling ring method of attachment, one 'biner, 2 rings on each side with the strap around the tree.

Pretty fair pricing on the Netty, I ended up going with the Hennessy with snake skins as they seem to be pretty well regarded, $143 on amazon.

I'm going to try the repelling ring method of attachment, one 'biner, 2 rings on each side with the strap around the tree.

The Scout Master for my son's troop got a Hennessy and is using that method. I used it once (the method that is). Works great if the trees are just too far away.

I'm hanging this weekend in my usual and customary spot. Haven't needed an underquilt as of yet.

Edited to add: I asked David Meck all kinds of questions in regards to his family's hand made hammocks. Transitioning from the Skeeter Beater/Neutral Lay hammock to a Right Lay dedicated hammock, adaptability of my suspension, dual layer vs. single layer, etc. He was extremely helpful. The pre-purchase customer service alone is worth my money.

Last edited:
So this morning I ordered under quilts from Arrowhead Equipment. A 3 season New River (regular size) for me and a Jarbridge 3 season for my son. My daughter doesn't need one right now because she doesn't like the cold and will probably be sleeping in the camper at the lake more now. She doesn't do any camp outs with me and the boy, and only swings when up at the lake.

Now to order my new hammock.

My Skeeter Beater will still get used by my daughter, or by a scout in the troop (I'll hold on to it as extra).....

So this morning I ordered under quilts from Arrowhead Equipment. A 3 season New River (regular size) for me and a Jarbridge 3 season for my son. My daughter doesn't need one right now because she doesn't like the cold and will probably be sleeping in the camper at the lake more now. She doesn't do any camp outs with me and the boy, and only swings when up at the lake.

Now to order my new hammock.

My Skeeter Beater will still get used by my daughter, or by a scout in the troop (I'll hold on to it as extra).....

Nice, I hung out in mine last night for a bit. I'm going to build an underquilt and do some test sleeping next week. I don't do enough camping to justify a $150 quilt.

Nice, I hung out in mine last night for a bit. I'm going to build an underquilt and do some test sleeping next week. I don't do enough camping to justify a $150 quilt.

We swing every weekend we are at the lake now. We have other options there (large travel trailer camper & large barn garage with living quarters all on site). This and all the scouting camp outs, I want to make sure both me and the boy are comfortable, warm and well rested on the trips.

Here is the compound last year:
last summer.jpg

Here is an update:
updated.jpg

I haven't slept in the camper all summer this year.

Just an FYI, Yukon Outfitters is has a 25% off coupon right now (LD25). I just ordered a rain fly, because I really don't love the PahaQue size as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, it's a great tarp, I just don't like the coverage and the stuff sack.

Ultimate Hang (on Facebook) just recently did a review of the Yukon Outfitters rainfly:

http://theultimatehang.com/2015/09/yukon-outfitters-walkabout-rainfly-review/

Hammock Camping?

I wish I was able to find a two person hammock for this weekend that was big money....
My girlfriend over ruled me on buying a single one and sticking her in my tent lol .

2a88aedb78eab9728b7d244500afa85a.jpg

4c4160f4609e9013965e9c0794eb9b75.jpg

Went to Florida this week end to clean up some of the land . So can't wait to get away Saturday .

I wish I was able to find a two person hammock for this weekend that was big money....
My girlfriend over ruled me on buying a single one and sticking her in my tent lol .

2a88aedb78eab9728b7d244500afa85a.jpg

4c4160f4609e9013965e9c0794eb9b75.jpg

Went to Florida this week end to clean up some of the land . So can't wait to get away Saturday .

Less then 5 mins from hoosac train tunnel.

Just got notified that my Netty is shipping tomorrow, a week sooner than expected. My under quilt came in on Saturday. Can't wait for the trip with the scouts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Going hiking in the Northern Cascades next week, interested to see how the hammock works out.. taking my one man tent too just in case... not sure of the area we are hiking.

Going hiking in the Northern Cascades next week, interested to see how the hammock works out.. taking my one man tent too just in case... not sure of the area we are hiking.

I think that as long as you have proper insulation, you will be good to go. I've been sleeping in a regular Coleman 40* fleece lined bag with sweatpants/sweatshirt on colder nights. I've been fine with that. You may want to bring a pad to put in your bag for more insulation. Next trip will be with the new Hammeck Netty and the New River under quilt. I can't wait to try it all out. We measured the AHE Jarbridge 3/4 underquilt for my son, and it is just right for 100% coverage for him (he's short).

Love my Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I almost exclusively hammock camp now. Much lighter in a pack, and you don't have to worry about finding flat, level ground to pitch a tent on.

I need to grab an underquilt for cooler weather use. They can be tough for a side sleeper or a stomach sleeper too . . . .

20150612_094750.jpg

20150612_094950.jpg

Last edited:
Love my Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I almost exclusively hammock camp now. Much lighter in a pack, and you don't have to worry about finding flat, level ground to pitch a tent on.

I need to grab an underquilt for cooler weather use. They can be tough for a side sleeper or a stomach sleeper . . . .

View attachment 146113

View attachment 146114
Sweet hang!

Hammockgear.com has some great quality stuff, pricey, but quality. . . . overquilts, and underquilts . . . .

Hammockgear.com has some great quality stuff, pricey, but quality. . . . overquilts, and underquilts . . . .

I'm finding that as well. I'm trying to keep my kit basic (tarp, hammock, UQ, suspension, sleeping bag), but it all still takes up room, and my 70l bag gets full quick. That, and I keep seeing something I want to try.

I got my grand trunk skeeter beeter pro from Amazon for 70$
And straps at rei for 20.
If it rained I was just gonna tie a rope and toss a tarp over it.

Over the weekend in the mountains in western mass it got down to the mid 40s I was warm with a blanket wrapped around me . My gf was fine with her sleeping bag .

I'm not a fan of the two person ones. We tried sleeping side by side . Reverse head to toe. Unless it has a frame you just get mushed together and limbs go numb .

Me and the gf are saving to get a suspended tent.

6d38757654ba161947d126bc6f969b5b.jpg

We might go with the 3 person version for little more so we can store gear also.

By my self the hammock tent was awesome never slept better camping .

Last edited:
My Hammeck Netty came in on Friday, and I finally had the opportunity to set it up. Sorry for the pic quality, my son took the pictures with his iPad mini....

2c6ec4bc7e67e751cd93e2e22b3a9e07.jpg

16cf0c5d7dbe292253b3de9b539671c0.jpg

Need to clean my garage.....

What hammock are you running?

11' Hammeck Netty. This weekend we are up at Camp Fatima with the scouts. Going to get my first overnight in it then with the AHE under quilt. My son is going to use my Skeeter Beater with an under quilt that weekend. The Jarbridge 3/4 quilt fits him head to toe....,,

How much does it cost to buy one with everything needed?

The kit I have right now without under quilt:

11' Hammeck Netty: $150 (comes with great suspension w/cinch buckles)
Yukon Outfitters Walkabout Rainfly: $39.99 (I got it for $29.99 w/coupon)

$189. Now that said, I've bought a lot of other shit too, trying out stuff.

Back
Top Bottom