Handgun Gloves

I understand your point but when did I say someone/you were BS'ing me? As far as the glove worn by the person on youtube. They look comfortable and seem to work just fine for him. I wonder if they are made of cotton or acrylic?The palm side seems to be made with a rubbery material too.

If I don't get a response from him, I'll just go with a simple mitten like
6046.jpg

LOL, great sense of humor, but I hope your just bustin' on us.

I have hunting mittens with a trigger finger in them for heavy winter rifle hunting, but I'd never think of using them with a handgun.

I have worn "Past" recoil dampening gloves when shoting strange high caliber handguns that bite with recoil, but only at the range. After awhile I didn't use them any more either.

Good luck Ash, butI hope you listento the good advice you've been given by M1911 and P2A

Last edited:
For the record - I am taking all advise seriously and any more imput is appreciated. Like I said above; just trying to learn as much as possible.

I shoot trap and upland with Bob Allen unlined leather gloves all year round. They are great and last for seasons. Anybody that shoots in cold weather knows the need for gloves. I shoot my double horribly without the gloves, but I think that is just mental and routine. If you carry in the winter, they also serve as a functional solution that looks good. You may need to protect yourself with or without gloves, so just prepare yourself for both scenarios.

On top of that they do protect you from transferring lead and burnt powder to your face and lips after you leave the range. Washing your hands after a shooting session does the same thing. I recently became very sick due to lead toxicity (stripping old paint), and you don't want any of that...

I shot with Nomex gloves with a Beretta/MP-5 for a few years, never hurt me; but they do take some time to get used to.

When I worked at CQB school, that is the only way anyone fired anything, with gloves on.

But, there is a reason for it -- no sense in burning your hands while your chasing explosives and/ or bangs in the door.[smile]

GGS10320PIC.jpg

Last edited:
For the record - I am taking all advise seriously and any more imput is appreciated. Like I said above; just trying to learn as much as possible.

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is this:

#1) There's no advantage to wearing gloves (unless it's the dead of winter and you're shooting outside).

#2) There are several disadvantages to wearing gloves. First, it can inhibit dexterity and cause you to lose control of your firearm. Second, you should be training under the same conditions you would find yourself in should you need to use your firearm. Just like you wouldn't train with a 92FS and carry around a J frame revolver, you don't want to get used to wearing gloves and then on day have to go for your firearm at 7-11 and have it fly out of you hands because you're not used to handling it bare handed.

#3) There is a very visible minority of firearm owners (and wannabe firearms owners) known colloquially as "mall ninjas." These guys are all about "tacticool" equipment and accessories, and will show up on the range wearing drop holsters, tactical vests stuffed with mail order accessories and all manners of nonsense that may look cool or make them feel cool, but serve no practical use. And wearing tactical Nomex gloves (or worse, golf gloves that you pretend are tactical Nomex gloves) to the range will get you an interview for admission to the mall ninja club, and once you're in that club, no one worth their salt will take you seriously.

ASHDUMP, you're lucky that you've stumbled across this forum. There are a lot of very cool, very knowledgeable people here, and if you keep your ears open and your mouth shut, you'll learn a lot.

But if you ask for advice, get good advice and then argue with people about it (or compare their advice to that of Youtube mall ninjas) you're going to turn a lot of people off very quickly and lose a HUGE resource that's at your disposal.

The choice is yours.

#3) There is a very visible minority of firearm owners (and wannabe firearms owners) known colloquially as "mall ninjas." These guys are all about "tacticool" equipment and accessories, and will show up on the range wearing drop holsters, tactical vests stuffed with mail order accessories and all manners of nonsense that may look cool or make them feel cool, but serve no practical use. And wearing tactical Nomex gloves (or worse, golf gloves that you pretend are tactical Nomex gloves) to the range will get you an interview for admission to the mall ninja club, and once you're in that club, no one worth their salt will take you seriously.

I wore this to the range this weekend, I'm pretty sure no one was laughing at me! I got much respect, as I always do.

3136410145_faa5741c22.jpg

You're the president of the local mall ninja club, aren't you.

riding around in your golf cart with your 3 man rapid response tactical team with a trauma plate duct taped to your back.

You don't get a USMC Close Quarters Battle Instructor certification from being a mall ninja. [thinking]

While I am not fond of showing up to the range in full tactical regalia, I find it funny that leg holsters get such a bad rap. I find them useful, comfortable and practical - especially when practicing transitioning from rifle to pistol and vise-versa....I think they have their purpose, but it's not my first choice for daily wear.... [wink]

FWIW, I shoot my 340PD at the range I wearing gloves to reduce the "day after" sore hand. If you've fired one of these, you know what I'm talking about. Save some money and buy a pair at any bike shop. I prefer the ones without fingers. I don't use gloves for any other firearm.

Yeah! Shooting is serious business!

So everyone's thoughts are that; anyone who shows up to a range wearing a t-shirt, shorts, sneakers, watch, eye protection, ear protection, hip holster and hand protection while shooting is considered a "mall ninja"? Oh, and also has a range bag.

This sounds a little loopy to me.

So everyone's thoughts are that; anyone who shows up to a range wearing a t-shirt, shorts, sneakers, watch, eye protection, ear protection, hip holster and hand protection while shooting is considered a "mall ninja"? Oh, and also has a range bag.

I can't imagine what the people at the range think of me then, with my make-up jewelry, long hair, and purse..[laugh]

Nope, other way around, you are a mall ninja if:

you wear Camo, but it has to be real camo, East German or something cool, none of that realtree crap or Black, head to toe, with a Balaclava

You have a breaching device on the end of your home defense shotgun, just in case you need to breach your own doors.

if you only buy Extreme Shock ammo.

If your gun says "Tactical" on it

if you have anything from Tapco

if you own a Glock

put an M4 stock on your H&R single shot

I am SOOOO glad I just didn't show up at my first NES shoot before reading here awhile! Had I shown up with my Glock, my shooting gloves, drop leg holster and Obama 2008 t-shirt like I was planning I would have been mocked for sure.

I'm keeping notes, so I bought a Kimber 1911, tossed the gloves, got a hand sewn leather IWB holster, and a "Where's the Birth Certificate?" tee.

I think I'm ready.... am I missing anything? I REALLY want to fit in!!!

Back
Top Bottom