Harvard Sportsmen's Club

I don't think it's for the same reasons. The concern with shooting .22lr at longer distances is that it'll hit the ground and ricochet up and over the berm. With full auto the concern would be recoil driving the muzzle up and sending bullets too high.

That being said, I do agree that .22lr should probably be allowed at the 200 - that's not all that far. I also still maintain that .22lr rifles should be allowed at the 25y plates but I don't think I'm ever winning that battle.

I've been a member for a long time and I'm there at least twice a week. I've never seen a machinegunner give a non machinegunner any shit.
Everyone I've run into with FA in those pits has been very friendly and welcoming to this semi-auto peasant. Never an issue.

Hi guys.
I am looking to join a shooting club and read a lot of good things about Harvard. Its also decently close to me.

I got my LTC recently and started buying guns but have yet to shoot any. My experience shooting is mostly as a kid with my dads guns and in scouts but I haven't been to a range in years.

Was wondering the best way to meet someone to be a sponsor and shoot with as someone that's newer to the hobby? I'm 29, normal guy white collar job, not a fudd and appreciate any advice. Thanks

Hi guys.
I am looking to join a shooting club and read a lot of good things about Harvard. Its also decently close to me.

I got my LTC recently and started buying guns but have yet to shoot any. My experience shooting is mostly as a kid with my dads guns and in scouts but I haven't been to a range in years.

Was wondering the best way to meet someone to be a sponsor and shoot with as someone that's newer to the hobby? I'm 29, normal guy white collar job, not a fudd and appreciate any advice. Thanks
Attending IDPA/steel challenge matches or IDPA practices (Monday nights at 6?) to meet people might be helpful

Last edited:
definitely bring your kit but you can hang and watch if you don't want to shoot
I'd like to shoot I just wasn't sure if it was something I'd be able to participate in. Happy to just meet some people too. I'm somewhat of a beginner to handguns, I've mostly just shot 12ga and .22 in the past but I built two glocks when I got my LTC.

Bring your stuff and participate. Holster, mag carriers and around 125 rounds of ammo. One of the SO's will walk you through all the procedures. It's a friendly bunch.

Have you looked at other clubs? What town are you in? Harvard has many ranges from 7 to 300 yards. If you're into rifle and handgun, you'll like Harvard. If you're into shotgun, you may want to look elsewhere. Harvard is one of the few clubs that allows full auto.

Have you looked at other clubs? What town are you in? Harvard has many ranges from 7 to 300 yards. If you're into rifle and handgun, you'll like Harvard. If you're into shotgun, you may want to look elsewhere. Harvard is one of the few clubs that allows full auto.
I'm in chelmsford. I looked at others but Harvard seems the best all-arounder. Action pits, indoor, decent ranged outdoor. Im not into shotgun thats just what I'd done in scouts and with my father. I have an ar15, ar10 and a couple pistols (went kind of crazy building stuff). Looking to mostly learn defensive pistol maybe eventually USPSA and just general marksmanship. Planning on doing Appleseeds in feb or april as well

It sounds like Harvard will work well for what you want. It's getting a bit crowded so try to go on week days or weekend mornings. As early as possible.

Can anyone confirm if the club has Christmas Tress available for members to purchase and cut down?
Maybe check out what is available out there first (wear orange since it is hunting season). I walk through there a lot in the summer and the remaining trees are not that great. I think you would be hard pressed to find a remotely decent one.

Re trees: I just checked in with the board, here's the gist -
Pickings have likely grown slim, as the tree farm hasn't been actively maintained for a couple of years. The trees are probably a little more "wild" than in the past.
That said, members remain welcome to hunt around and find their perfect specimen in the tree farm area.
Just send $35 as either a check or through the *Donate* link on the website, with "tree" in the notes.
The other ask is that folks do all their trimming at home - doing otherwise makes more cleanup work for the Grounds crew.

Has anyone seen a "big" cat up there - like a bobcat?

I was leaving there yesterday and a "big" cat, bigger than my cocker spaniel, ran across the road.

Has anyone seen a "big" cat up there - like a bobcat?

I was leaving there yesterday and a "big" cat, bigger than my cocker spaniel, ran across the road.

Probably. We've seen bobcats in Chelmsford ... about once every couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom