• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club

From the newsletter:

Club Rules Statement:

NEW RULES: Action Area, Pits 1 – 4. Read the signs.

PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbines) are now ALLOWED.

.22LR pistols and rifles are now ALLOWED.

Really wish they had incorporated more of my suggestions, particularly the one about posting the club rules online.

ain`t the handbook online somewhere? i think i saw it. dunno, may be i am wrong.
this - only lacks the map:
Long story short but that's an "informal" handbook that contradicts the printed handbook, the range signs, rule clarifications in the various weekly newsletters, verbal-only rules allegedly explained at the new member walkthroughs, etc.

I've been hoping to see a go-to formal/official copy posted on the website for all to see so there would be no confusion as to the exact rules of the club. @Mesatchornug - any chance that still might happen?

verbal-only rules allegedly explained at the new member walkthroughs
i am a new member there as i had my walk in february, i think, but i do not recall anything that is different or is absent from the handbook copy i got. including 'verbal'. things.

one thing that was told verbally - a concurrent handling of 2 loaded weapons is prohibited at all times, including shooting macedonian style from both arms, and 3-gun style. for 3-gun you can practice carrying 3 weapons, but only 1 can be loaded at a time.
how it correlates with re-enactors cowboys handling 2 revolvers simultaneously i do not know.

cross shooting at 200yds targets from 300yds positions, and vice versa, but, it may be in the book.

Long story short but that's an "informal" handbook that contradicts the printed handbook, the range signs, rule clarifications in the various weekly newsletters, verbal-only rules allegedly explained at the new member walkthroughs, etc.

I've been hoping to see a go-to formal/official copy posted on the website for all to see so there would be no confusion as to the exact rules of the club. @Mesatchornug - any chance that still might happen?
We're working on it. Slowly. But we are working on it

so, some shitheads keep destroying the steel plate on 100yds range on purpose.
last one i saw - this week wednesday - somebody did shoot off the nuts from bolts that did hold the plate attached to chains- nuts parts were split in half, looks like somebody was really aiming to hit those nuts.
it is probably pointless to try catching the f***er who does it, but, just wonder what could be done to the setup to make it more, well, durable.

all i can think of - probably cutting off and placing some pieces of a used tire and either duct tape it or use some wire to make it attached in front of chains so it would also cover bolts, may be? but it probably not going to help much if someone comes with a large bore armor piercing rounds, will it?

i just like shooting at that steel at 100yds range and almost every time i come there i see it laying on the ground. it just sux. you fix it - and then it is broken again.

Last edited:
so, some shitheads keep destroying the steel plate on 100yds range on purpose.
last one i saw - this week wednesday - somebody did shoot off the nuts from bolts that did hold the plate attached to chains- nuts parts were split in half, looks like somebody was really aiming to hit those nuts.
it is probably pointless to try catching the f***er who does it, but, just wonder what could be done to the setup to make it more, well, durable.

all i can think of - probably cutting off and placing some pieces of a used tire and either duct tape it or use some wire to make it attached in front of chains so it would also cover bolts, may be? but it probably not going to help much if someone comes with a large bore armor piercing rounds, will it?

i just like shooting at that steel at 100yds range and almost every time i come there i see it laying on the ground. it just sux. you fix it - and then it is broken again.
GOAL has been offering fire hose pieces for this exact thing.

I bought a 5 foot piece off ebay for insanely short money.
It doesn't help if they're shooting the bolts. But atleast this will protect the way it hangs..

GOAL has been offering fire hose pieces for this exact thing.

I bought a 5 foot piece off ebay for insanely short money.
It doesn't help if they're shooting the bolts. But atleast this will protect the way it hangs..
some people are just f***ing a**h***s. :(

i do not know, i think mark tried reversing the mounts with nuts out hoping it will be better as before they were shooting off heads of bolts.
but nuts did not happen to be more much more survivable, it looks like. go figure. i think he tried using fire hoses before, and it did not help much neither.

Better yet- let people hang their own steel and provide guidelines for doing so? You're always going to have people abusing steel if its left out. Not to mention it just takes one guy with a rifle thats a little off….

I find it hard to believe, that so many people are intentionally shooting at (and hitting) the mounting hardware. I have yet to see expert marksman, super snipers at the 100 yard range.

But, yes, let people hang their own steel. If they must, get your steel pre inspected before you are allowed to use it.

I find it hard to believe, that so many people are intentionally shooting at (and hitting) the mounting hardware. I have yet to see expert marksman, super snipers at the 100 yard range.

But, yes, let people hang their own steel. If they must, get your steel pre inspected before you are allowed to use it.
A nut on the bolt is more than an inch in diameter, with a good subMoa rifle hitting it with a 25x scope at 100yds is not an issue.

Bolts were shot off. Chain links shot off - that is trickier to hit. A regular 5.56, even an m855 would not leave such impacts, I think. If I manage to find time next week I can take pictures, but, trust me, it is so and is an ongoing issue.

I’d love to be able to plink at steel at the 50 yd with a 22. I gave up on the 100 yd steel as 8 out of 10 times its busted due to idiots.

Agreed. My club allows members to bring their own steel but it must be approved by the club president. Pretty straightforward

Agreed. My club allows members to bring their own steel but it must be approved by the club president. Pretty straightforward
I am pretty sure Harvard does not allow your own plates or objects at 100yds.
At 50 plastic objects allowed, but no steel.

I guess they are concerned about ricochets and I frankly can see why, considering rest of the chaos there.

I don’t think they do. I was just saying they should allow it after getting club approval.

I don’t think they do. I was just saying they should allow it after getting club approval.
I would be satisfied if plates Mark already has would be fixed back with some better protection.
He had there even a set of plates for PRS from a 2” up, but, alas.

Realistically, nothing gonna happen until a certain critical mass of people will get together to drive it to completion. It is all doable, but requires certain effort.

I guess they are concerned about ricochets and I frankly can see why, considering rest of the chaos there.
Have them show up at predetermined time. Inspect plate, go over how they are hung. Done.

A nut on the bolt is more than an inch in diameter, with a good subMoa rifle hitting it with a 25x scope at 100yds is not an issue.

Bolts were shot off. Chain links shot off - that is trickier to hit. A regular 5.56, even an m855 would not leave such impacts, I think. If I manage to find time next week I can take pictures, but, trust me, it is so and is an ongoing issue.
I have seen plenty of people having a good time, trying to do follow ups, and end up hitting the frame and everything else. It will happen.

What I have not seen, are a lot of people capable of sub moa accuracy. You could give them a 99x scope, still ain't happening.

The guys that can shoot, who invest time and money in their hobby/sport, aren't shooting the bolts and nuts.

What I have not seen, are a lot of people capable of sub moa accuracy. You could give them a 99x scope, still ain't happening.
Plenty of people I meet at 100 range shoot better than I do. May be it is about time I get there, in weekdays mornings when no one is around.
Here is a group I did a month ago or so, it is 10 shots there with 1 flier on a side. What looks like 3 hits in a line is actually 4.
5947B59B-6276-4AE3-95E9-22AFAE65AC4D.jpeg

There was steel at the 50 and the machinegun range but people shot it all up so it's all gone now. There's plenty of steel at the subgun range and as far as I know, .22s are allowed there. Bringing your own steel (if it was allowed) is a bit of a pain but worth it since the club steel is almost always shot down. The biggest problem would be keeping nitwits from ruining it.

There was steel at the 50 and the machinegun range but people shot it all up so it's all gone now. There's plenty of steel at the subgun range and as far as I know, .22s are allowed there. Bringing your own steel (if it was allowed) is a bit of a pain but worth it since the club steel is almost always shot down. The biggest problem would be keeping nitwits from ruining it.
Yes, i think what we talked about - the covering of chains with some thick rubber plates - roofing or tire chunks - would actually accomplish the intended effect, as if it is not seen - it will be hit way less.
so what needs to be done is just a matter of getting a work party together and then get some plates Mark still has in the shed and placing it all up. But i do not know if he still have any good chains left or not and i did not hear from him in a long time.

It is a range. People are practicing, some are prone, some are off-hand, some using scopes, some using sights, some engage slow fire, some in rapid, some are using their firearms, some are trying out their friend's firearms, etc.

It's steel. It's being shot at. It will take damage. It's going to happen.

Do you feel that folk are purposefully targetting the bolts and the chains? I guess that could be though I haven't seen it in progress myself.

... frankly can see why, considering rest of the chaos there.

What other chaos are you seeing? Safety-related?

I have seen the occasional failure to ensure the line is clear after calling the range cold. Some people leaving their trash behind, etc.

It will take damage. It's going to happen
i would prefer to stay on the topic of what we can do to minimize that damage and get steel plates back in the operational form.

of all other things - i would only say, if you do shoot at 200/300yds - the steel that hangs there somehow remains intact, the target stands are pristine with no junk left on them and the ground is clear.

Back
Top Bottom