• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hey Marines, who remembers February 19, 1945

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
Does the date ring any bells?

62 years ago today the battle for Iwo Jima began.

For those who may not know, that is where the great flag raising took place.
It lasted until early April and nearly 26000,
(Yes that is twenty six thousand) Marines and sailors were killed or wounded

It was the battle that insured a Marine Corps for the next 500 years.

May we never forget those who went before us.

Semper Fi My Brothers.

Bob Brown
USMC 1980-87

Last edited:
The Air Corps should also remember it well, for even before the battle for the God Foresaken Island was over, crippled B-29s returning from bombing runs, used the Marine held airstrip as an EMERGENCY LANDING area. Saved countless crews and ended the war sooner.

Semper Fi

Marines will never forget Ira Hayes,Franklin Sousley, John Bradley, Harlon Block, Mike Strank,and Rene Gagnon of Manchester, NH on Feb. 23 raising the flag on Mount Suribachi and all marines who fought and died there.Semper Fi.

My father inlaw is 91 and was at Iwo Jima. He was the oldest in his platoon at 27. He still has a Jap bayonet that he brought home. He rarely every says any thing about Ivo Jima.

My father was in a lot of major sea battles and was one of the first Americans to step a shore in Japan. He never talked about it to any one untill I came home from Vietnam and that's when he told me about what he saw.

Back
Top Bottom