• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

High end over under

Can anyone explain why i need to drop thousands on a high end o/u

I have a sub 500 yildiz o/u i love I'm just curious what an expensive one does better

Trying to figure this out myself.
A buddy wants me to join in the fun of trap shooting and I figure I need a o/u because the cool kids don't spray emptys out a simi auto.

I am a staunch believer in only shooting good looking guns, I prefer my women and cars the same. I won't be the best but I will be the best looking shooter on the line.
The money guns cost more because fit and finish tend to better, better triggers, better barrels lots of "betters" involved.
If your someone who shoots occasionally you probably won't need more than a Yildiz or CZ.

Don't overthink it buy what works for you but handle some of the money guns and you'll see the differences.

Trying to figure this out myself.
A buddy wants me to join in the fun of trap shooting and I figure I need a o/u because the cool kids don't spray emptys out a simi auto.
I mean I'm deadly with my o/u I'd definitely get one

Just not sure why i need a browning wicked wing other than it makes my man parts excited when i look at it

But i took my o/u in the field today and tossed it around because it's a 450 dollar shotty

That browning is like 2500...feel like im gonna take my shirt off and lay it down if i need to throw down the browning

I am a staunch believer in only shooting good looking guns, I prefer my women and cars the same. I won't be the best but I will be the best looking shooter on the line.
The money guns cost more because fit and finish tend to better, better triggers, better barrels lots of "betters" involved.
If your someone who shoots occasionally you probably won't need more than a Yildiz or CZ.

Don't overthink it buy what works for you but handle some of the money guns and you'll see the differences.
Yeah I have? Idk I dont see any difference between a 636 silver pigeon and my yildiz

I use it for upland game and sporting clays

last time on clays i shot 85 of 100( f***ing rabbit clays every time) today i nailed 2 pheasants...idk i dont miss with it lol

I like to shoot this at the trap range to piss off the purists.

apHcd8O.jpeg

Yeah I have? Idk I dont see any difference between a 636 silver pigeon and my yildiz

I use it for upland game and sporting clays

last time on clays i shot 85 of 100( f***ing rabbit clays every time) today i nailed 2 pheasants...idk i dont miss with it lol
The silver pigeon is a not high end shotgun that's a lower end gun for us plebes. If you compared to a say a DT11 or even a 694 you'll see the difference. Compare it to a Zoli you be amazed.

For years I was shooting trap with a Mossberg Silver Reserve II that worked very well for me. Many people said it was a crap gun but it worked well for me. Some years later I bought a Browning O/U at a gun store sale. It’s a great shotgun but it doesn’t shoot any better then the much cheaper Mossberg did. So I guess expensive doesn’t mean better.

For years I was shooting trap with a Mossberg Silver Reserve II that worked very well for me. Many people said it was a crap gun but it worked well for me. Some years later I bought a Browning O/U at a gun store sale. It’s a great shotgun but it doesn’t shoot any better then the much cheaper Mossberg did. So I guess expensive doesn’t mean better.
It's not the gun it's the shooter.

Gotcha

Idk i have a thing about beating on a gun that's 2 or 3 mortgage payments

If i was just shooting clays i would probably feel differently
Personally most shooters have different shotguns for different sports which means lots of shotguns.so I think a 26" or 28" is great for hunting birds but skeet I find 30" and 32" for trap. Everything is gauge dependent as well. They say 28gauge is better with 32" barrels it's personal.

It at least gives you an excuse to have more than one.

I hunt and shoot clays with a 30 year old Mossy 500. I’ve never even patterned it.
It does get annoying sometimes when the guy on your left while shooting trap with an auto keeps flinging spent hulls at you 😁

I can justify a high end shotgun for clays. If you shoot a lot, say 3-5k rounds a year, it makes a lot of sense. It stands up to the work and looks pretty. But for hunting, where you're dragging it through mud and thorns and shooting maybe a half dozen times a day, a lighter plain Jane that you dont mind getting dinged up kills birds just as dead.

I have a Beretta SP for clays and CZs in 12 and 20 for birds. That works for me.

I just got back from hunting upland in Maine. While dragging my Mossberg through the woods I kept thinking to myself…would I want to do this with a really high end shotgun?

The misconception that trap guys actually judge you by your gun actually keeps new people from trying. I shoot trap best with a pump weatherby. I have more options but I like it. The only thing they judge you for is when you score better than them

serious trap and skeet shooters put thousands of rounds per year through their shotguns. Doubt you would get that from durability from a cheap o/u. If you are not shooting a ton of clays, you should be fine... maybe...

serious trap and skeet shooters put thousands of rounds per year through their shotguns. Doubt you would get that from durability from a cheap o/u. If you are not shooting a ton of clays, you should be fine... maybe...
Can you please pass the grey pupon?

Its not an overly complex design I'm at about 1000 now and it still doesnt even feel broken in

Can anyone explain why i need to drop thousands on a high end o/u

I have a sub 500 yildiz o/u i love I'm just curious what an expensive one does better
f*** all that stuff just buy an A400 Extreme or two and be done with it. I am puzzled why people are infatuated with guns that beat the shit out of them, unless you're a competerive trapezoid guy in which case you'd not have started this thread.

Back
Top Bottom