High end over under

You shoot the fancy gun, for the same reason that I shoot a fugly, ancient A5 Frankengun - it works for you, and you WANT to shoot it.

As stated above, fit is more important that anything else. If I switch to a fancy, more-fitted to me gun, my average may go up by 2%. I'm still a C shooter. My kid, when he was competing regularly, switched to a "proper" Trap gun, and got a 2% boost - but that moved him up to the high 90's, from the mid-90's. There, it made a difference.

Buy what you like, shoot what you like, that works for you, and pay no attention to others. Especially if you break more birds than they do. [laugh]

f*** all that stuff just buy an A400 Extreme or two and be done with it. I am puzzled why people are infatuated with guns that beat the shit out of them, unless you're a competerive trapezoid guy in which case you'd not have started this thread.
I want a m3500 for a semi

But i do like the simplicity of an o/u

I want a m3500 for a semi

But i do like the simplicity of an o/u
Not to trash any brand, but I will say this - a bunch of people at my Club run Brownings - 725s, Citoris, etc. One of the members is kept busy with hobby projects, working on them. A lot of people have Brownings, percentage-wise at the Club, so this is skews the stats.

I have the above- mentioned A5 - I have no idea how many rounds that it's digested, but it was built before the Germans went looking for some extra real estate. I've used it in many Trap events. Only failure I've ever had was a broken firing pin. Got a replacement online, took an hour to R&R.

A "modern" O/U has a lot of internal fiddly-bits and things that can get out of whack, when you think about the mechanism for the selective trigger, ejectors, etc.

Now, if you're referring to the simplicity of the hinge action, well, you do you. Come out to www.southboroughrodandgun.com and run what you brung!

You can buy a k80 for a mere $12k or so. If you want the fancy wood and engraving add another $6k to $110k. The guts of the $12k guns are the same and they will last a lifetime.

You can buy a k80 for a mere $12k or so. If you want the fancy wood and engraving add another $6k to $110k. The guts of the $12k guns are the same and they will last a lifetime.
A majority of shooters who are buying a high end gun know this, and don’t go too crazy. Like with anything, how far past the base they go shows how deep their pockets really are.

No, I'm bothered by the handful of schmucks that have more money than sense with superiority complexes lol
Eat my shells.
A good portion of the people I regularly shoot with have one or two of these incredibly expensive guns. There are pretty laid back, nice people. Maybe one or two is boastful about their guns, but that’s just their personality. These guys and gals are shooting three or four flats a week, the lower end shotguns just can’t take that volume. There is just now way my $600 ATI O/U could handle that much.

A $10,000 o/u is better built than a $800 o/u. It's that simple.
The $10k gun can be rebuilt/tightened after 10 or 20 thousand openings/closings. The $800 gun? Just go buy another.
The $10k gun can be fitted to the shooter. It can also have another set of barrels in different gauges. With the $800 gun, you get what the factory specs.

No, I'm bothered by the handful of schmucks that have more money than sense with superiority complexes lol
Eat my shells.

This is not necessarily true. I was speaking with a rifle shooter at the club about $5K .22 rifles. He told me one day he was tlaking to this dude that was shooting a $5K rifle with a $2K scope ... asked him how he could afford it, the dude in turn asked "how many guns do you own? - I only own 3"

Many here own 20 rifles or more, when you add optics, you are probably north of $20K in guns. Some of these guys own one $10K shotgun, maybe a couple of handguns and a rifle.

I have been at a point where I barely buy any guns under $1K because I have no interest in them. I already have a lot of stuff sitting in the safe, I don't need more random sh*t. Now I either spend the money on reloading supplies or good guns. If I was a serious clay shooter, I would probably get rid of all the Mauser rifles I never shoot and buy a nice $3-5K gun.

I don't know....why do people spend thousands on a high end AR vs. an Anderson or PSA???? Same reason really.

No one "needs" a high end O/U or S/S to shoot well. They "need" any gun that functions and fits. Anyone that looks down on someone shooting skeet or trap with whatever gun they can afford be it a Turkish gun, semi auto, pump etc....is purely a fxcking douchebag, and will not like being at the club I shoot at. We welcome all shooters and all gun types and help those who are new, not shit on them.

High end...is like 5K and above to me. I don't own any, don't really see the need to put that into one gun. Those that can and do...who cares. Flex on the poors all you want. They enjoy beautifully made guns probably. I do as well, but I have a limit to what I feel is practical. My limit is not someone elses limit.

If you mean "high end" a 2K Browning or Beretta is not high end. Its a middle of the road gun that will absolutely last thousands of rounds and has a proven design thru many years of shooting. Its mostly the action that we are talking about here, but the fit/finish and wood quality is better as well. The resale value if ever needed is way better as well. Many times I've bought my guns at a sale price or discount new, and shot them many rounds and sold them 2-3 years later for the same money, to upgrade or whatever.

Turkish guns have decent actions, but they will shoot loose before any B gun will. WIll it matter if its a bit loose....probably not. Are Turkish O/U's fine, yeah perfectly fine, work well for the most part. So aren't their semi autos which are even cheaper. I own several Impala Plus turkish semi auto guns that run like tops for $300 each. Why not that instead of the 500 on the O/U??

Most target guns are not dragged thru the mud hunting pheasant either...they are used on a skeet or trap field, and rarely get abused other than lots of shooting. People that have these guns have other guns as shitters as well because they can afford it. Or they carry their nice guns and don't give a fxck because they can go buy another one tomorrow.

I use my skeet gun(s) and other good O/U's which I inherited, for hunting on decent days, but have a bevy of Turkish autoloaders or ithaca 37's, or whatever for the rainy days. If that's wrong...Im guilty.

Last edited:
I shoot skeet with a 100+ year old Ithica SxS with double triggers. It is brown from age and the action is a little loose. Whenever someone comments on a good shot or round, I just show them the $200 12 ga and say "It must be the gun." ;)

I'm only an occasional skeet shooter but I have shot more than a few straight 25's, it is also a ton of fun to shoot station 7 doubles from the hip. I also like that I can break it down and put it in the saddle bags of my bike. :cool:

Ahh the old, my Honda is just as good as your Bentley argument. Always given by the person that doesn't shoot enough to know any better
Ok but like explain them lol

I'm asking I'm not flexing on trap nerds

A Bentley has a v12 motor

Handstitched leather

Looks sexy as hell

They probably kill 7 pigmys trying to bring the tree they cut down in the rainforest for the wood they use in the dash board

Like what upgrades am i getting if i buy a 2-5 k over under for hunting and clays

This is not necessarily true. I was speaking with a rifle shooter at the club about $5K .22 rifles. He told me one day he was tlaking to this dude that was shooting a $5K rifle with a $2K scope ... asked him how he could afford it, the dude in turn asked "how many guns do you own? - I only own 3"

Many here own 20 rifles or more, when you add optics, you are probably north of $20K in guns. Some of these guys own one $10K shotgun, maybe a couple of handguns and a rifle.

I have been at a point where I barely buy any guns under $1K because I have no interest in them. I already have a lot of stuff sitting in the safe, I don't need more random sh*t. Now I either spend the money on reloading supplies or good guns. If I was a serious clay shooter, I would probably get rid of all the Mauser rifles I never shoot and buy a nice $3-5K gun.
Yeah... i mean im not gonna lie i have some expensive setups

Obviously my caniks

But i have a few 3k plus rifle setups

I'm not averse to spending on a gun

Just want to know what it does different

Trying to figure this out myself.
A buddy wants me to join in the fun of trap shooting and I figure I need a o/u because the cool kids don't spray emptys out a simi auto.
f*** that. Shoot what you shoot best.

The good barrier is closer to $2500 with the Browning and Berettas. The lower end ones work fine for shooting a couple of time a year but not the 10K+ targets that some clay shooters take. The super high end ones are for those who can.

I am a staunch believer in only shooting good looking guns, I prefer my women and cars the same. I won't be the best but I will be the best looking shooter on the line.
The money guns cost more because fit and finish tend to better, better triggers, better barrels lots of "betters" involved.
If your someone who shoots occasionally you probably won't need more than a Yildiz or CZ.

Don't overthink it buy what works for you but handle some of the money guns and you'll see the differences.
Seeing the difference.....and having an actual difference in performance are two completely different things.

Half if the old codgers at the club trap range have $5k and up over unders and get all giddy when they break 20. 🙄

I've hit for 50 straight a handful if times....hit 75 straight once as well. I hit 23 to 25 every time I shoot trap which is like once a month. The 75 straight......was with a beat to shit mossy 500.

Don't get me wrong.....I don't give a shit what they buy means nothing to me. But I do pay attention......and the op is asking why he needs an expensive over under.....and my opinion is.....he doesn't.

The good barrier is closer to $2500 with the Browning and Berettas. The lower end ones work fine for shooting a couple of time a year but not the 10K+ targets that some clay shooters take. The super high end ones are for those who can.
This.

If your not hitting 24 and 25......regularly.....and actually competing.....your wasting money on a high end ou. See a shit ton of wasted money at the club lol. If your all giddy cuz you broke 20.......sorry you don't need a kreighoff. You just don't.

One thing is for sure....if you only shoot one or two guns that fit you perfectly, you are better off than owning 15 guns that don't.

It’s a status symbol. I don’t pretend to be rich and go into debt for an overpriced O/U. In fact, I don’t even have a O/U. I prefer my autoloaders and pumps.
Why do think they are pretending?....maybe they are fxcking rich and aren't in debt and paid cash for their gun, and it isn't a status symbol, they just enjoy a nice gun? Is that wrong?

Can anyone explain why i need to drop thousands on a high end o/u

I have a sub 500 yildiz o/u i love I'm just curious what an expensive one does better
Better, more consistent patterns, more availability of choke tubes. Instead of full, modified, improved cylinder and cylinder bore, the higher end manufacturers also offer extra full, light full, light modified, improved modified. Higher end guns also have a wider range of spacers for cast adjustment. However, if a person knows how to shoot, you can break plenty of clay targets with an basic shotgun.

This.

If your not hitting 24 and 25......regularly.....and actually competing.....your wasting money on a high end ou. See a shit ton of wasted money at the club lol. If your all giddy cuz you broke 20.......sorry you don't need a kreighoff. You just don't.
Their money to waste isn't it?

I can say the same thing about pickup trucks. It runs and drives....why do you need the caddillac model for double the cost....because you can, or want be a poser and pay thru the ass for it.

Not my money, no judging until you judge someone else negatively for shooting a lower priced gun...then you'll get some negativity.

Some people can't hit shit with whatever they shoot because they are old, have limitations, or don't know what they are doing as well. Its not the gun most times.

Back
Top Bottom