• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"High-Power" Rifle Decision

I have a bad habit of purchasing ammo for guns I want before I have them. As such, I am currently in possession of some .308 and need something to shoot it out of. While I have an idea of what I want and some details, I'm still lost as to what might be a good entry into larger caliber rifles. I'm currently monetarily deficient, so an all-around or best bang for buck option is what I'm after. I am also willing to save for the right choice as well, given it makes the most sense. I'll give some options, background, and parameters, and if anyone has any feedback or opinions, I'd greatly apreciate it.

Currently do not own, nor have shot anything larger than 5.56. Range I belong to is limited to 200 yds. If bolt action, I would prefer a single stack, detatchable box magazine fed platform, 10 rds. optimal. Reviews point to some of the "universal" feed magazines being gritty and rough, though I have no first-hand experience. Method of use is for range fun, SHTF fantasy, possible future long range use, and to pop my "high-power" cherry. I do not hunt, and appearance matters as life is too short to own ugly firearms. Options I am considering are:

1. Ruger precision rifle or Tikka T3 tactical. Both have far more range than I need, but appeal to me nontheless. They both prescribe to the previously mentioned parameters of bolt action. An appropriate optic would increase the price signifgantly. Both relatively attractive options.

2. Century Arms C308. Not nearly as accurate, or pretty, but accurate enough at the ranges I'm considering. Much cheaper than other options. Pre-ban mags are easily found and cheap. No optic necessary, LPVO would work well. Would like this gun and feel like it's a true EOTWAWKI firearm, but may feel like I'm settling.

3. AR-10. Familiar with platform, just bigger. More accurate than C308..? Nicely straddles bolt action and C308 for effective range. DMR comes to mind. Optic options are vast, may want bipod. Most expensive option by far, especially in MA. Somewhat attractive gun, in my opinion. Harder to find. If these were priced similarly to AR-15's, I'd already have one.

4. Springfield M1A, probably SOCOM 16, or Scout Squad. By and above the most gorgeoues rifle of all the options listed. Relatively pricey. Pre-ban mags are... available? Again, my feeling(possibly wrongly so) is that this rides somewhere between the bolt action and C308 in terms of accuracy. Iron sights are legendary, apparently, and it comes with a pic rail for something else if I desire. Action is reliable but seems vulnerable in extreme conditions(SHTF fantasy BS) and I'm a lefty and don't know about the reciprocating parts hitting my hand. This is a bucket list gun but don't know that it's worth the wait, or is it?

Thanks in advance.

Going with your first comment about money being tight as a priority. I would check and consider a Savage 110 Tactical. Much less money than the choices you listed, high precision and easy to carry around. There is a comparable Mossberg but I have found Mossberg rifles to give inconsistent accuracy - some good, some awful.

Cetme has always looked cool to me. Never shot one, they just seem cool and a really efficient option for a semiauto rifle with preban magazines in MA.

I had a PTR91 that shot beautifully, gentle recoil, but it destroyed brass. Since I reload I couldn't use them and it got too expensive. Sold it. Looked at the C308 but didn't like the quality of the ones I saw. Never looked at a socom.
Went with a DPMS .308. Shoots well, feels like my AR's and is accurate. Of course I don't live in MA any more so I had options. I have a couple of bolt .308's and wanted a semi.

Cetme has always looked cool to me. Never shot one, they just seem cool and a really efficient option for a semiauto rifle with preban magazines in MA.

It has a lot going for it. I don't reload so fluted brass isn't an issue for me. The bang for buck ratio is what's appealing though it kind of seems like a cheap knock-off.

I had a PTR91 that shot beautifully, gentle recoil, but it destroyed brass. Since I reload I couldn't use them and it got too expensive. Sold it. Looked at the C308 but didn't like the quality of the ones I saw. Never looked at a socom.
Went with a DPMS .308. Shoots well, feels like my AR's and is accurate. I have a couple of bolt .308's and wanted a semi.

Midway has a couple of DPMS .308 upper assemblies with BCGs at 45% off right now. Really good prices.

DPMS LR-308 Upper Assemblies - MidwayUSA

Go classic... M1 Garand.

Was an initial option, actually looked at CMP. This is a bucket list gun(if they don't run out) for sure, but at this point I'm trying to be practical. I'm trying to scratch multiple itches with 1 firearm and it's proving to be a difficult task.

Went with a DPMS .308. Shoots well, feels like my AR's and is accurate. Of course I don't live in MA any more so I had options. I have a couple of bolt .308's and wanted a semi.

+1 vote for the PTR-91
Add a port buffer and the brass is perfectly fine and stays in the same state ;)
EF55D7C5-11EF-4ABE-8C0D-EE20CD919C59.jpeg

What does opne do about a lower though? .223 lowers are rare enough around these parts and I have neither the resources or know how to deal with an 80% situation.

To be Maura-compliant you'd have to buy and transfer a .308 lower from a current owner so a .308 upper would be fairly useless. Finishing an 80 would also not be Maura-compliant.

They're good prices though so I put up the link for the free state folks.

How quickly do you want to make a purchase, or how long are you willing to wait and save up? An AR-.308 on the right platform may be a good option, but if it’s going to take you too long to find the right one for your budget, then any of the other three are fine choices.

Going with your first comment about money being tight as a priority. I would check and consider a Savage 110 Tactical. Much less money than the choices you listed, high precision and easy to carry around. There is a comparable Mossberg but I have found Mossberg rifles to give inconsistent accuracy - some good, some awful.

While not initially something I was condiering, having just watched a Mrgunsandgear video, it seems like a very affordable and accurate rifle that ticks almost all the boxes. I feel like I just missed out on a Savage group buy. The massive bolt throw is almost worth it on its own.

How quickly do you want to make a purchase, or how long are you willing to wait and save up? An AR-.308 on the right platform may be a good option, but if it’s going to take you too long to find the right one for your budget, then any of the other three are fine choices.

This is the real conundrum. I'm looking at maybe 2-3 months. I've started working a second job to fund ammo and hobies while I'm in school full time. It sucks, but being able to live how I want is worth it, albeit range time has suffered. An AR-.308 is close to twice as much as a M1A Socom, atleast from what I've seen in the classifieds. I'm not about to ask someone if they'll take payments, so perhaps I'm looking at a christmas present for myself.

To be Maura-compliant you'd have to buy and transfer a .308 lower from a current owner so a .308 upper would be fairly useless. Finishing an 80 would also not be Maura-compliant.

They're good prices though so I put up the link for the free state folks.

By all means!

By chance, do you have a .308 lower you're looking to offload?

+1 vote for the PTR-91
Add a port buffer and the brass is perfectly fine and stays in the same state ;)
View attachment 303051

PTR-91 VS. C308

Much of a difference? From what I understand it's the same stamped receiver. Though I am still somewhat uninformed on the matter and probably couldn't tell the difference if you put them side by side. However, the HK variant would seem to carry a higher price tag due to import laws? But it's the same gun?

Go classic... M1 Garand.

I like what Sweeney recommended, but I'm biased... [smile]

A CMP M1 Garand in .308 would fill the bill nicely and you would have eight-on-tap.
So, capacity is way better than a fixed-mag bolt gun, and the mags are waaaay cheaper than the M1A mags, and in my opinion faster to deploy...

iu
iu

Also, with the millions of the .30-06 version manufactured, you will have access to plenty of surplus parts. (Only a few .308 specific parts excepted, mainly the barrel, which is significant.)

Which leads me to my last point: Get a Genuine surplus .30-06 M1 Garand. Ballistics are great, so is knock-down power. Ask a dead Jap/German/North Korean.
Also, it would be one of the last semi-auto Battle Rifles on the Big Ban List...

Throw a bando or two around your neck and you are ready for 'Go Time'...
iu

~Enbloc

Last edited:
I like what Sweeney recommended, but I'm biased... [smile]

A CMP M1 Garand in .308 would fill the bill nicely and you would have eight-on-tap.
So, capacity is way better than a fixed-mag bolt gun, and the mags are waaaay cheaper than the M1A mags, and in my opinion faster to deploy...

iu
iu

Also, with the millions of the .30-06 version manufactured, you will have access to plenty of surplus parts. (Only a few .308 specific parts excepted, mainly the barrel, which is significant.)

Which leads me to my last point: Get a Genuine surplus .30-06 M1 Garand. Ballistics are great, so is knock-down power. Ask a dead Jap/German/North Korean.
Also, it would be one of the last semi-auto Battle Rifles on the Big Ban List...

Throw a bando or two around your neck and you are ready for 'Go Time'...
iu

~Enbloc[/QUOT

Don't tempt me. 1 gun at a time! 30-06 will have to wait for now. Unless of course you have one that you don't particularly like. Then, I'd be willing to do you a favor and take it off your hands. Something tells me they all have a place in your cabinet(heart) though, old and ugly alike, and I respect that. I think they call it, "character".

It has a lot going for it. I don't reload so fluted brass isn't an issue for me. The bang for buck ratio is what's appealing though it kind of seems like a cheap knock-off.

I had a Century Arms CETME for a while. The manual of arms stinks and the roller action jammed a lot. It was fun when it worked, but I would never have trusted it in a serious situation. I ended up trading it to a friend who knew it’s quirks. A plus in MA is that you can get preban mags pretty easily.

This is the real conundrum. I'm looking at maybe 2-3 months. I've started working a second job to fund ammo and hobies while I'm in school full time. It sucks, but being able to live how I want is worth it, albeit range time has suffered. An AR-.308 is close to twice as much as a M1A Socom, atleast from what I've seen in the classifieds. I'm not about to ask someone if they'll take payments, so perhaps I'm looking at a christmas present for myself.

It’s hard to argue that an AR-10 variant is a copy or duplicate of an AR-15, when the AR-10 existed first. The AR-10 derivatives do not violate the letter, nor the intent of the AWB list. The AR-15 derivatives aren’t copies or duplicates either, but AR-10 variants are even more clearly not copies or duplicates. You will be hard pressed to get an FFL to transfer you one, but you could build an 80%er if you’re willing to take the risk of wrongful prosecution.

Just putting the option out there. It considerably lowers the price of an AR-10 derivative. An “AR-10” will be much easier to get precise than a C308 or an M1A. Not really any accessible pre-ban mags though. Also, it can be a pain to ensure that all the parts work together when building one, because there is no standard.

Last edited:
This is a nice looking setup. Is that an aftermarket cheek pad/riser?

I have a bad habit of purchasing ammo for guns I want before I have them. As such, I am currently in possession of some .308 and need something to shoot it out of. While I have an idea of what I want and some details, I'm still lost as to what might be a good entry into larger caliber rifles. I'm currently monetarily deficient, so an all-around or best bang for buck option is what I'm after. I am also willing to save for the right choice as well, given it makes the most sense. I'll give some options, background, and parameters, and if anyone has any feedback or opinions, I'd greatly apreciate it.

Currently do not own, nor have shot anything larger than 5.56. Range I belong to is limited to 200 yds. If bolt action, I would prefer a single stack, detatchable box magazine fed platform, 10 rds. optimal. Reviews point to some of the "universal" feed magazines being gritty and rough, though I have no first-hand experience. Method of use is for range fun, SHTF fantasy, possible future long range use, and to pop my "high-power" cherry. I do not hunt, and appearance matters as life is too short to own ugly firearms. Options I am considering are:

1. Ruger precision rifle or Tikka T3 tactical. Both have far more range than I need, but appeal to me nontheless. They both prescribe to the previously mentioned parameters of bolt action. An appropriate optic would increase the price signifgantly. Both relatively attractive options.

2. Century Arms C308. Not nearly as accurate, or pretty, but accurate enough at the ranges I'm considering. Much cheaper than other options. Pre-ban mags are easily found and cheap. No optic necessary, LPVO would work well. Would like this gun and feel like it's a true EOTWAWKI firearm, but may feel like I'm settling.

3. AR-10. Familiar with platform, just bigger. More accurate than C308..? Nicely straddles bolt action and C308 for effective range. DMR comes to mind. Optic options are vast, may want bipod. Most expensive option by far, especially in MA. Somewhat attractive gun, in my opinion. Harder to find. If these were priced similarly to AR-15's, I'd already have one.

4. Springfield M1A, probably SOCOM 16, or Scout Squad. By and above the most gorgeoues rifle of all the options listed. Relatively pricey. Pre-ban mags are... available? Again, my feeling(possibly wrongly so) is that this rides somewhere between the bolt action and C308 in terms of accuracy. Iron sights are legendary, apparently, and it comes with a pic rail for something else if I desire. Action is reliable but seems vulnerable in extreme conditions(SHTF fantasy BS) and I'm a lefty and don't know about the reciprocating parts hitting my hand. This is a bucket list gun but don't know that it's worth the wait, or is it?

Thanks in advance.
You should really try to get down to either Bolt gun or Semi
Savage offers a lot in the ways of good out of the box accuracy

Try as many different rifles as you can.

I see lots of nice used bolt guns in the racks

Also getting to what you expect out of any given platform and then learning the realities of those platforms will help you along

Example: Springfield M1a socom short load and accuracy. Will stop there. What type of accuracy are you looking for. For what you spend on a socom and optics you could buy a decent bolt gun and scope that would run circles around the socom and the M1a /M1

End use is key ... hits on target gun or small groups in the X

If I where in the market for a 308 bolt gun. With out spending really crazy $$$
I have a thing for the Sako Finnfire Range . Also the new sako or tikka rifles that look like the ruger seem nice.

Last edited:
It’s hard to argue that an AR-10 variant is a copy or duplicate of an AR-15, when the AR-10 existed first. The AR-10 derivatives do not violate the letter, nor the intent of the AWB list. The AR-15 derivatives aren’t copies or duplicates either, but AR-10 variants are even more clearly not copies or duplicates. You will be hard pressed to get an FFL to transfer you one, but you could build an 80%er if you’re willing to take the risk of wrongful prosecution.

Just putting the option out there. It considerably lowers the price of an AR-10 derivative. An “AR-10” will be much easier to get precise than a C308 or an M1A. Not really any accessible pre-ban mags though. Also, it can be a pain to ensure that all the parts work together when building one, because there is no standard.

What PappyM3 said, the AR10 can't be a copy or duplicate because it pre-dates the specifically named AR15. Now if an FFL would chime in that they are willing to sell it in MA, assuming it's feature compliant. Maybe someone should do a group buy? At least that way the legal costs can be spread out, I would hope Comm2a would get on board as well.

What PappyM3 said, the AR10 can't be a copy or duplicate because it pre-dates the specifically named AR15. Now if an FFL would chime in that they are willing to sell it in MA, assuming it's feature compliant. Maybe someone should do a group buy? At least that way the legal costs can be spread out, I would hope Comm2a would get on board as well.
or better still - just lowers, which don't require FA-10s...

I think I still am where the OP is. Though I have a few hard hitting older rifles around (some mosins and an Argentine Mauser.)

While I think I covet a Tikka T3, and I miss the left handed Ruger 77 in .30-06 I got my first deer with (borrowed gun)

I had one requirement which you haven't considered: I wanted to be able to change barrels without a gunsmith if I had to.

I briefly considered Mossberg MVP for a few resonsz but dislike the funky bolt.

I wouldn't kick a Ruger American out of the bed. But I also wanted iron sites originally. Not much with iron sites anymore. The Ruger gunsite scout sort of fit that role, but it wasn't accurate enough for my needs.

Everything came down to Savage 110/111. The longer bolt being preferable.

I was going to go used, and whatever my budget was, half was going to go to Glass, the rest to the guy. And ammo. Oh yeah .

By the way, there is a nice Savage for sale right now for $325. It's in 6.5 Creedmor, but I'm sure you could just sort of put the .308 you have aside and convince yourself next year to just get a .308 too!

Thanks in advance.
If you want the most bang for the buck, it is hard to beat a stainless Savage AXIS .308. They are rugged, reliable and extremely accurate right out of the box. AccuTrigger is fully adjustable and barrel is adjustable for headspace. For an eyeball, you can't beat a 3X-9X Leupold. This is the rifle/scope combo that I use and I couldn't be happier. It will serve your needs well.

and at $650 from the CMP with a new criterion barrel, you can't go wrong!

Yeah, it’s an amazing deal. But I don’t think the $650 field grades have a new criterion barrel. Those are the $1050 special grades I think. Still a good deal for either though.

You should really try to get down to either Bolt gun or Semi

Yup, that’s an important first step.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom