home defense firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elmerius Fuddicus, actually.

since I have hunted birds as a teenager, I am therefor Elmer Fudd?

This forum dynamic is hard to pick up on. I sense serious answers riddled with lots of sarcasm. I have seen some good suggestions, along with obvious tongue in cheek responses.

Do people actually consider bird shot a good method for home defense?

Or is that part of the sarcasm?

(everyone, forget I referred to this forum as a xenophobe rally point. I get it- you guys didn't like that. I'm white, so give me some of your slack)

common guys, real Elmer wants to stay Elmer, give this guy a brake.

seriously, with that budget, you can pretty much get some good hardware, ammo and training. I'm surprised that "gougers" [laugh] aren't jumping on this chance to sell their warez.

common guys, real Elmer wants to stay Elmer, give this guy a brake.

seriously, with that budget, you can pretty much get some good hardware, ammo and training. I'm surprised that "gougers" [laugh] aren't jumping on this chance to sell their warez.

the budget is big, but I am not willing to part with my money foolishly. I do not wish to buy the 2nd poster's glock for $6k. I don't think that is the going rate for a glock of any caliber.

"dynamic critical incident" "non-diagnostic linear malfunction drill"

I just love people who make up fancy phrases to make themselves sound authoritative. [thinking] I thought that buzzword bingo could only be played in corporate America -- thank you for expanding my horizon.

So, Mr. Pincus' system is "world's best scientifically developed." Really? Would you care to support that assertion? Does Mr. Pincus have a PhD? Has he written papers accepted by a peer-reviewed journal? Could you describe how he used the scientific method to develop this method? What objective testing was performed to determine that this method is "the world's best"?

Or is this just marketing drivel?

He uses hierarchical survival models and interrupted time series analysis to show that CFS certification is associated with significantly increased odds of surviving a dynamic critical incident, relative to not having CFS certification. BOOM, bet you didn't see that coming!

He googles himself a lot, so he'll be along to give you the citations.

This forum dynamic is hard to pick up on. I sense serious answers riddled with lots of sarcasm. I have seen some good suggestions, along with obvious tongue in cheek responses.

(everyone, forget I referred to this forum as a xenophobe rally point. I get it- you guys didn't like that. I'm white, so give me some of your slack)
we only cut people of color slack oh and wimmen too because they have been oppressed in the past so we have a serious case of white male privilege guilt.

Make a list of every round you'd like to be hit with coming in through the front door. Bird shot probably won't be on it.

OK. I had an African American tenant who needed to go to the store. I offered him a ride. I asked him which store and he told me. I said, "Oh yah, that's where So-And-So works." And he says, "Yah, the black guy." And I looked at him and I said, "Oh, I don't do color."

Except in this case to describe what happened.

holy crap whats ("dynamic critical incident" "non-diagnostic linear malfunction drill") i prefer my effective spray and pray method and if there's still some twitching at the end of the hall way i spray a little more as needed i call it my swiss cheese method

[/B]

Make a list of every round you'd like to be hit with coming in through the front door. Bird shot probably won't be on it.

OK. I had an African American tenant who needed to go to the store. I offered him a ride. I asked him which store and he told me. I said, "Oh yah, that's where So-And-So works." And he says, "Yah, the black guy." And I looked at him and I said, "Oh, I don't do color."

I'm trying to find black friends for the longest time. You are very lucky.

I do not believe this is a real firearm.

So let's move along and forget about expensive glocks for now. Are we done providing useful feedback? If so, I don't think I will be participating in this thread any longer.

I am left with confusion instead of answers. Suggestions of training (what kind, I have no idea), shotguns loaded with bird shot, .380acp pocket pistols, and no rifles what-so-ever. Is the general opinion of this forum that it is better to feel safe? Or actually be effective?

I'm starting to think it's the former around here. I have ____ firearm, therefore I am 100% secure. This doesn't really cut it for me, personally.

Anyone willing to step up and provide anything more substantial than youtube videos of an old bearded whitey shooting rotten pork in his backyard with his bird gun? Or more substantial than an old fat white guy rolling around in the grass and coining terms for his self-promoted "tactical maneuvers?" This has been.... eye opening. Please tell me that you all don't take these guys serious.

So let's move along and forget about expensive glocks for now. Are we done providing useful feedback? If so, I don't think I will be participating in this thread any longer.

I am left with confusion instead of answers. Suggestions of training (what kind, I have no idea), shotguns loaded with bird shot, .380acp pocket pistols, and no rifles what-so-ever. Is the general opinion of this forum that it is better to feel safe? Or actually be effective?

I'm starting to think it's the former around here. I have ____ firearm, therefore I am 100% secure. This doesn't really cut it for me, personally.

Anyone willing to step up and provide anything more substantial than youtube videos of an old bearded whitey shooting rotten pork in his backyard with his bird gun? Or more substantial than an old fat white guy rolling around in the grass and coining terms for his self-promoted "tactical maneuvers?" This has been.... eye opening. Please tell me that you all don't take these guys serious.

How did Moon Island go ?

[/B]

Bird shot won't kill me.

I would prefer not to die if I were breaking into a home.

I'm sorry, but pain is not the name of the game for home defense. Not in my home, anyways.

How did Moon Island go ?

clearly he got upset and left before the qualification was over.

Bird shot won't kill me.

I would prefer not to die if I were breaking into a home.

I'm sorry, but pain is not the name of the game for home defense. Not in my home, anyways.

got a badass on our hands! woo woo!

Nicole was joking.

I am left with confusion instead of answers. Suggestions of training (what kind, I have no idea),

Defensive shooting training, whether with pistol, rifle, or handgun. There are a number of good instructors, including:

John S. Farnam, DTI - COURSES | DEFENSIVE HANDGUN
Massad Ayoob Group
MAIN

Each type of firearm can be used for home defense. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Handguns are easy to store securely and can be easily used with one hand, freeing up the other hand for use in calling the police. The downside is that handguns are harder to aim and have less stopping power. Handguns are easier to use while navigating the close confines of a home than a long gun. A Glock 19 or 17 is among many good choices. Feed it with decent JHP. If you prefer a wheelgun, a S&W 4" K or L-frame would be a good joice.

Shotguns have a lot more stopping power, but also a great deal of penetration. They require two hands to use, have a lot more recoil, but are easier to aim. A Remington 870 is a good choice. If you are going to use a shotgun, then use buckshot. Birdshot is for birds and slugs are for longer range.

Ar15s have a lot of stopping power at close range, large capacity, and being a long gun are easier to aim. They require two hands to use. With proper ammunition choice, .223 will have less overpenetration of walls than a handgun or shotgun.

For information about penetration of various rounds, surf over to: The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing

Edited to add: If you are in Boston, then you are subject to Boston's assault weapons ban. As a result, an AR15 is out for you. Decide on a handgun or shotgun and get some defensive training.

Last edited:
the budget is big, but I am not willing to part with my money foolishly. I do not wish to buy the 2nd poster's glock for $6k. I don't think that is the going rate for a glock of any caliber.

Whoaaa, are you trying to talk me down? The price was $7K, price is negotiable but not $1K

i think you got some good advice you said you live in an apartment i suggested .38 hollow point handgun and i heard bird shot from another. i don't think anything high powered is good unless you want to shoot the intruder and the neighbor sleeping at the sametime.

Well yes, the boat shoot would be an NES event, not a BPD shooting stage, but I doubt it will have a galley. Unless Cekim blows a motor in his yacht.

Was I told incorrect terminology?

- - - Updated - - -

Nicole was joking.

Defensive shooting training, whether with pistol, rifle, or handgun. There are a number of good instructors, including:

John S. Farnam, DTI - COURSES | DEFENSIVE HANDGUN
Massad Ayoob Group
MAIN

Each time of firearm can be used for home defense. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Handguns are easy to store securely and can be easily used with one hand, freeing up the other hand for use in calling the police. The downside is that handguns are harder to aim and have less stopping power. Handguns are easier to use while navigating the close confines of a home than a long gun. A Glock 19 or 17 is among many good choices. Feed it with decent JHP. If you prefer a wheelgun, a S&W 4" K or L-frame would be a good joice.

Shotguns have a lot more stopping power, but also a great deal of penetration. They require two hands to use, have a lot more recoil, but are easier to aim. A Remington 870 is a good choice. If you are going to use a shotgun, then use buckshot. Birdshot is for birds and slugs are for longer range.

Ar15s have a lot of stopping power at close range, large capacity, and being a long gun are easier to aim. They require two hands to use. With proper ammunition choice, .223 will have less overpenetration of walls than a handgun or shotgun.

For information about penetration of various rounds, surf over to: The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing

Edited to add: If you are in Boston, then you are subject to Boston's assault weapons ban. As a result, an AR15 is out for you. Decide on a handgun or shotgun and get some defensive training.

Thank you. Very good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom