home defense firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
pix62703326122222222.jpg

Think NH would let me register this as a trailer? Picture me rollin...

I saw that first ya bastid. Take your eyes of my cannon!

First firearm for home protection in Boston = handgun. 9mm with appropriate ammo has less recoil than .40 or .45acp for faster follow shots if needed and does a very good job. Example = bonded 9mm +p+ Winchester ranger 127 grain bullet travelling at 1250 feet per second.
Second firearm for home protection in Boston = a 12 gauge shotgun at close range loaded with bird shot, buck shot or slugs will all mess up your assailants whole weekend. Either remington 870 or Mossberg 590 or 500. The 590 will handle both 2 3/4" and 3"shells. The 500 only 2 3/4" shells. 3" isn't needed for home protection and recoil is more severe than 2 3/4". A pistol grip in the home is more quick to handle than a full stock.
Third home protection in Boston = It is my understanding that you can't have the AR platform in downtown Boston. Refer to downtown Boston NES'rs with more information.

Question: between the 9mm and .40 round, does one hold any specific benefits over the other? I have an acquaintance that swears by the .40 caliber round, and he tends to wax poetic about his .40 glock. Does this caliber bring anything to the table over a 9mm caliber firearm?

Question: between the 9mm and .40 round, does one hold any specific benefits over the other? I have an acquaintance that swears by the .40 caliber round, and he tends to wax poetic about his .40 glock. Does this caliber bring anything to the table over a 9mm caliber firearm?

Is your friend a rapper?

What does the .40 bring? The enmity of EC.

.40 is a little more powerful, a little more recoil, and a little more expensive. With the modern designs of JHP, IMO the difference in effectiveness is minimal. For a newer shooter, I would recommend the 9mm -- less recoil means less flinch.

.40 is a little more powerful, a little more recoil, and a little more expensive. With the modern designs of JHP, IMO the difference in effectiveness is minimal. For a newer shooter, I would recommend the 9mm -- less recoil means less flinch.

by powerful- is this derive from the bullet weight or the muzzle velocity? Or both?

and from reading around here- why do people have a general distaste for the .40 caliber?

One man’s opinion:

“The most effective handgun round on the market, regardless of caliber, is the Federal .357 Magnum 125 grain jacketed hollowpoint (C357B). This load has more stopping power than any other handgun cartridge and this includes more powerful rounds like the .41 and .44 Magnums. I advise all experienced revolver men to carry the legendary Federal C357B or the equally good Remington full-power 125 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoint (R357M1) in a .357 revolver.

I cannot stress too heavily that the primary determinant of stopping power is BULLET PLACEMENT. A cool, deliberate marksman with a little .32 Walther PPK will beat a panicky, inaccurate man with a .357 Magnum or $1200 customized .45 auto every time. Whatever firearm and caliber you select, you must practice firing hundreds, or thousands, of rounds in realistic defensive scenarios until you can confidently make disabling hits on your target. Tactics and marksmanship win gunfights, not having the latest wonder bullet in your gun. “

And, yes, I do take “old whitey” seriously...

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

.40 aka foh-tey, is a magic round that all 9mm people despise and envy. Numbers aside, it makes you more confident while shooting [laugh]

if your attacker takes cover behind a steel or brick structure, you need to penetrate that structure to reach the attacker.

One man’s opinion:

“The most effective handgun round on the market, regardless of caliber, is the Federal .357 Magnum 125 grain jacketed hollowpoint (C357B). This load has more stopping power than any other handgun cartridge and this includes more powerful rounds like the .41 and .44 Magnums. I advise all experienced revolver men to carry the legendary Federal C357B or the equally good Remington full-power 125 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoint (R357M1) in a .357 revolver.

I cannot stress too heavily that the primary determinant of stopping power is BULLET PLACEMENT. A cool, deliberate marksman with a little .32 Walther PPK will beat a panicky, inaccurate man with a .357 Magnum or $1200 customized .45 auto every time. Whatever firearm and caliber you select, you must practice firing hundreds, or thousands, of rounds in realistic defensive scenarios until you can confidently make disabling hits on your target. Tactics and marksmanship win gunfights, not having the latest wonder bullet in your gun. “

And, yes, I do take “old whitey” seriously...

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

while I completely understand the concept of bullet placement (it is true, there is no argument against it), I do believe, however, that I am not a military trained sniper or a James Bond Movie Character, and that in the heat of the moment, I will not be able to place a .32 Sea Camp on the home invader's femoral artery.

There are illusions that I do not share with most people who live under false pretenses of security. Remember my previous post? I feel that much of the advice derived are from those who feel better with what they recommend. Not those who have had to use them, and actually provide relevant data for "what works." Heaven forbid I ever create this data...

sorry about the diversion. I do agree with your pretenses. I just don't trust my aim when my heart is racing as much as others on this forum might.

Is there such training one could take to learn how to cope with these stresses? Or will this question derive the "muscle memory is the best training" which is associated with many hours behind the gun. I plan on doing this, regardless. But is there more that can be done?

.40 aka foh-tey, is a magic round that all 9mm people despise and envy. Numbers aside, it makes you more confident while shooting [laugh]

if your attacker takes cover behind a steel or brick structure, you need to penetrate that structure to reach the attacker.

how do you penetrate brick structures? I've read (on here) that the AK is superior in this aspect? Is this true? You seem to be a leading expert on this firearm platform.... have you shot through brick walls with this firearm?

Would you think this to be detrimental in home defense or would it create unnecessary risk?

Unfortunately, I do not believe Boston allows me to store one at my residence. This is something that I dare not violate. Laws are meant to be followed.

Is there such training one could take to learn how to cope with these stresses? Or will this question derive the "muscle memory is the best training" which is associated with many hours behind the gun. I plan on doing this, regardless. But is there more that can be done?

Jesus, Jesus will steady your hand in time of need and will strike down your enemy with great vengeance and fuuuuuurious anger!

by powerful- is this derive from the bullet weight or the muzzle velocity? Or both?

Bullet weight. 9mm loads are usually 115 or 124 gr, some 147gr. .40 loads are usually in the 155-165gr range, but with some 135 and some 180 gr. .40 is also a larger diameter than 9mm.

and from reading around here- why do people have a general distaste for the .40 caliber?

Mostly just to piss people off.

how do you penetrate brick structures? I've read (on here) that the AK is superior in this aspect? Is this true? You seem to be a leading expert on this firearm platform.... have you shot through brick walls with this firearm?

Would you think this to be detrimental in home defense or would it create unnecessary risk?

Unfortunately, I do not believe Boston allows me to store one at my residence. This is something that I dare not violate. Laws are meant to be followed.

yes, AK will penetrate brick, steel, boolitproof glass and with enough ammo practically anything.

Also, a Mosin Nagant could be a good tool as it would penetrate even more, faster, harder and sharp bayonet will penetrate your enemy like a lance many times. Also it's a fantastic tool if you are attacked by an enemy on a horse back.

Jesus, Jesus will steady your hand in time of need and will strike down your enemy with great vengeance and fuuuuuurious anger!

My faith is strong, but I've always felt that He would provide little service in my muscle reflexes in such a time.

Perhaps I should revisit my thoughts on this.

My faith is strong, but I've always felt that He would provide little service in my muscle reflexes in such a time.

Perhaps I should revisit my thoughts on this.

you may also turn your other cheek (if shot in one) and pray for forgiveness of your attacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom