Hornady LnL AP, improved PTX operation

Where there once was a man in the mountain
It looks like Hornady redesigned their PTX (powder through expanders) to work better with both jacketed and lead bullets.

They claim the new ones are to work better with their bullet feeder (which I'm not sure why as I think the bullet feeder says not to use with lead bullets).

The nice thing is that the new PTXs seem to work better than the old ones. I had one of the 9mm PTXs that barely worked, the new one seems so much better. If anyone wants to buy my old PTXs, do I have a deal for you!

They also have a new adjustable 'bracket' (named the PTX Powder Measure Stop) to work with the powder throw. This allows the depth of the PTX (to control the amount of belling of your cartridge mouth) to be set by the adjustment on the 'bracket' instead of relying on the powder throw rotor bottoming out in the top of the throw slot. This is a huge improvement IMHO. It makes it much easier to adjust the amount of expansion in each casing instead of fiddling with the powder through adjustments.

The new part number for this improved PTX bracket is 290049, available direct from Hornady.

Part #290049 PTX POWDER MEASURE STOP QTY 1 $7.80 EA

It's great to see Hornady improving their tool(s). They are doing a great job.

By the way, they said the bullet feeder adapters for rifle bullets are comming, but may not be available anytime 'soon'. I'm not sure how far out that means, I guess stop holding your breath. [wink]

Last edited:
I like the PTX and so far have only used it on 45 ACP without a hitch. Results will vary based on manufacturer of brass IMO but it's never a major difference. The boolit feeder issue for rifle is due to the boolit stacking and locking themselves in the tube. My guess anyway.

As far not using lead in the feeder, it may be that the lube makes a mess and has too much friction on the moving parts. Yeah, I know. It is supposed to be a lubricant but not until under pressure and heated by firing.

Innovation is always a good thing and I love my RED press and the simplicity that it offers to users.

Back
Top Bottom