how did you learn basic MARKSMENSHIP?

My Dad taught me as a kid, starting on BB guns and then .22 S/A handguns in the backyard. Later on we joined a range and start shooting more and more. We seems to go through the same interest in guns at the same time, going from plinking with handguns and rifles, to bolt actions, to ARs to uspsa shooting, steel challenge and now clay shooting. So we are always learning new guns and sports together

From my Dad.
Master Sargent and Marksman.
I could never match him either.
Even after a stroke and being paralyzed on one side, we were messing around with pellet guns one day over at his house.
We got him set up on the picnic table, he set a walker up on the table to rest the gun on and freaking outshot us all .
The man who taught me to never quit.

shooting rats and other vermin on the family farm and at the town dump with my 22. Started at the tender age of 8. Practiced in my teen years with a 303 Enfield and a Marlin 30/30 so my dad would let me go deer hunting (the Enfield was my dad's, the 30/30 mine).

I went in the Navy and though there wasn't a lot of focus on firearms and marksmanship, we did learn firearm safety and shot Mossberg .22s. It wasn't until I joined a pistol team (.45 auto) while I was in the Navy that I truly learned "marksmanship". I also learned to shoot an AR15 about the same time. I still have a few trophies packed away from some of the pins and plates matches I placed in during my navy days...lots of fun and a whole lot cheaper to shoot back then.

Last edited:
I was about 10 and over at my best friend's place. After we had lunch his dad brought out his bring-back carbine and set up a target next to the barn on a chair. Then went over the basics and we had at it.

He mentioned it to my dad when he got there. All our dads were WWII vets and didn't think anything of it.

We used to ride our bikes down to Andover Sportsman's Club and watch, and got invited to fire a Springfield, which has memorable recoil for a kid.

My dad. He's now half blind and can still make sub-MOA groups with no magnification. Obviously, I still have much to learn from him.

Here's an old pic of us at Reading Rifle & Revolver on the 600 yard line. Started off as his spotter learning the basics, then moved up to .22 and beyond.

dad_zpsfrfktohg.jpg

Ft Jackson, SC

Shot with dad but didn't get marksmanship instruction until basic

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I learned in the Boyscouts as a kid, but never went any further with it. I hunted all my life but never competed where true "marksmanship" really mattered until I was well into my 30's.
At that point I would have been well served by attending Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry, but never did. I picked up what I could by imitation g others and reading whatever I could find on the subject; this is not the recommended method.

My advice for those that jump into this game later in life (anybody over the age of 21): attend a Highpower rifle clinic near you. Nashua puts on a top-shelf clinic.

P.S, I'm still learning.

Last edited:
I learned in the Boyscouts as a kid, but never went any further with it. I hunted all my life but never competed where true "marksmanship" really mattered until I was well into my 30's.
At that point I would have been well served by attending Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry, but never did. I picked up what I could by imitation g others and reading whatever I could find on the subject; this is not the recommended method.

My advice for those that jump into this game later in life (anybody over the age of 21): attend a Highpower rifle clinic near you. Nashua puts on a top-shelf clinic.

P.S, I'm still learning.

Just checked their site and the clinic was listed back in April. Is it typically a once a year thing?

Yes. Look at Reading's schedule as well.

The Clinics are great.
I was more interested in the how did you learn. I remember being very frustrated with my dad's method although now after 20+ years what he taught me helped me get back into it.

Basically my mom came across the "target box for Glenfield" in among some of my dad's things.
Basically it's just a plywood box with notches to fit the Glenfield 25 to practice sight picture.

My dad's only thing I had a issue with he always made me shoot right handed. Although I always naturally picked up and shouldered rifles left handed....I am left eye dominate.
I continually learn though now with 3 kids I don't practice much. Off hand is suffering.
I still surprise myself with some of my scores with lack of practice which I owe to my dad's "training"

The Clinics are great.
I was more interested in the how did you learn. I remember being very frustrated with my dad's method although now after 20+ years what he taught me helped me get back into it.

Basically my mom came across the "target box for Glenfield" in among some of my dad's things.
Basically it's just a plywood box with notches to fit the Glenfield 25 to practice sight picture.

My dad's only thing I had a issue with he always made me shoot right handed. Although I always naturally picked up and shouldered rifles left handed....I am left eye dominate.
I continually learn though now with 3 kids I don't practice much. Off hand is suffering.
I still surprise myself with some of my scores with lack of practice which I owe to my dad's "training"

Many of the NRA and Scouting techniques stemmed from army techniques; they worked well for preliminary instruction prior to live fire, are adaptable to large groups of people, and use low-tech training aids that can easily be built or improvised. Take the dime/washer drill: it's a simple, cheap training method that works extremely well with tools on hand. Even in an age where Marines are training with fake, recoil-simulated guns, the basics still work.

FM 3-22 provides all the BRM anyone needs in chapter 4.

, want to describe how they taught you? Like to see the differences in the methods from the 60s through the present. Neighbors son recently returned from basic and said he qualified on a indoor computer range with a rifle that simulated recoil?
I also wonder what the different qualifications are from then to now. Scores,targets,ranges and what not.

Just curious on the methods.

Here's a rundown of some of the training used by the Army at Fort Dix back in 1989:

Classroom BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) - Lots of classroom instruction on BRM, to include sight picture, breathing, and trigger pull. We were issued weapons, and learned how to disassemble/reassemble, maintain, and function check. We also did about 1,000 pushups a day because knuckleheads in the platoon insisted on calling the M16A1 a gun rather than a weapon!
Weaponeer Training - A machine that simulated recoil and showed where your shots would have hit. We used this prior to live fire in order to practice BRM skills. (This was the older simulator that only showed a silhouette, unlike the video version used later.)
Live Fire - We learned how to zero the M16A1, and practiced on a 25 meter range, trying to keep groups as small as possible. We then moved out to longer ranges.
Pop Ups - We fired on pop up target at ranges between 50 and 300 meters. The targets were torso shaped, about 18" wide and 30" tall. (That 300 meter target was small with open sights!) When you hit them, they would drop back down. At one range there were dummy rounds loaded randomly into the magazines. When we pulled the trigger and heard the click, we had to clear the non-firing round and reengage the target.
Qualification - We had to engage 40 targets at ranges between 50 and 300 meters with 40 rounds. The first 20 were fired from sandbags in a foxhole, the second 20 from unsupported prone. Targets were all on a timer, with longer ranges visible longer than shorter. Your ranking - expert, sharpshooter, or marksman - depended on the number you hit. As I recall, it took 38 hits to be considered expert.

In "down" time we also practiced skills such as proper trigger pull by balancing a dime on the barrel and pulling the trigger without shaking it off.

As an aside, this was back in a time where the M16/AR15 still had a bad reputation in the shooting community, unlike today when it's the most popular platform going. That M16A1 I used in basic ("Serial number 260448, Drill Sergeant!") was a rickety piece of equipment rebuilt a bozillion times over its life, but it never jammed on me and could still reach out to that 300m target with surprising accuracy!

Ever notice how some of the best posters, the most outspoken, most sincere and highest quality members here are either prior-military or had the values of a Serviceman instilled in them. Thanks...

Ever notice how some of the best posters, the most outspoken, most sincere and highest quality members here are either prior-military or had the values of a Serviceman instilled in them. Thanks...

As a rule, I would agree. There are a couple glaring exceptions but the forum would be less entertaining without them.

I resemble that remark!

My initial training was as a Basic Cadet high in the Rocky mountains. M-16 and S&W Model 15.

Some of my best training though was a an range instructor for a following class of basic cadets in the .38 pistol. Had to be able to teach and talk about the art and science of shooting then observe and correct my students.

My dad taught me how to shoot. Did any of you learn like this.

yep, iron sights on a marlin semiauto .22.
then, because my eyesight sucked even back then, he bought me a scope. after a while I was hitting the thumbtacks at 25 yards, and he pretty much left me alone.

true, although also true is....

Ever notice how some of the best posters, the most outspoken, most sincere and highest quality members here are either prior-immigrants or had the values of an Immigrant instilled in them. Thanks...

I did not serve although my dad did as did almost every male surounding me did as a youth 30+ years ago. When I brought up joining my dad and almost every person be it family and dad friends said do not. Basically my dad talked me out of joining and told me if your called upon to defend our shores then so be it. up until then I erge you not to enlist? I didnt dwell on it much after that. My Great uncle also said you do not need to sign your life and freedom off to be a proud american.

I learned from my Dad, with a Mossberg .22 that I have in my safe. He perfected his marksmanship as a youngster, putting meat on the table, and later as a member of the 4th Marines in WWII.

Back
Top Bottom