how did you learn basic MARKSMENSHIP?

I did not serve although my dad did as did almost every male surounding me did as a youth 30+ years ago. When I brought up joining my dad and almost every person be it family and dad friends said do not. Basically my dad talked me out of joining and told me if your called upon to defend our shores then so be it. up until then I erge you not to enlist? I didnt dwell on it much after that. My Great uncle also said you do not need to sign your life and freedom off to be a proud american.

Nearly identical situation for me. Though Dad signed up to be a Marine pilot in Vietnam and re-upped a couple times, he suggested I do not follow the military route. I went for it anyway, which he supported, but I ended up getting bounced on medical for a cardio issue that was discovered in a pilot physical. Years later I was told by others he was pleased I ended up doing the corporate thing. Go figure, nearly all of our family friends were current or former mil pilots.

Dad was also a competitive shooter in his younger days, so that helped as far as getting good instruction. In the last ~2-1/2 years I have not lost a rifle nor pistol competition at my club. I did get 2nd in a blackpowder shoot [grin]. I'm catching some mostly good natured crap from members, and I have my dad to thank for this. As mac1911 knows, I have a long way to go in JC Garand matches, but I hope to medal some day soon. Camp Perry is on my bucket list.

Dad taught me and my brother in the basement with a bb gun at age 4. At 5yo with a singe shot .22lr while sitting on his lap. Always shooting for groups or reactive targets like light bulbs.

My Grandfather taught me. He was in the Army during Korea, had grown up shooting in rural NH as a means to put meat on the table. During his Korean service, he was trained by the Army as a mechanic, and part of his duties were to train some of the Korean soldiers in the fine art of motorized equipment maintenance. Since he was one of the better shots on the base (owing to his hunting background with a single shot rifle) and he had built a rapport with many of the Korean Soldiers he worked with, he was given the additional "optional" duty to assist the Koreans in gaining more proficiency with the American service weapons.

He taught me using some of the same methods he had used during his time in service. I have lost much of the proficiency of my youth, having lived for almost 26 years here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, but I am getting better.

The Clinics are great.
I was more interested in the how did you learn. I remember being very frustrated with my dad's method although now after 20+ years what he taught me helped me get back into it.

Basically my mom came across the "target box for Glenfield" in among some of my dad's things.
Basically it's just a plywood box with notches to fit the Glenfield 25 to practice sight picture.

"

"Basic Marksmanship" is actually very simple:
1: Align sights
2: Put front sight on target
3. Squeeze trigger without disturbing sight/ target alignment

Seriously; its that simple.

Now, "advanced marksmanship"; that's worth another thread.

Boy Scout camp. Only thing I learned here was gun safety but it has held me in good stead.

Parents hated guns, so after age ~13 I never touched a gun again until I was almost 30 yo. Joined a bullseye club and learned from a few of the other shooters.

Getting some good training on rifle accuracy when I occasionally shoot with a friend who is a Fed and SWAT leader. . .he takes shooting seriously and practices a lot.

Ever notice how some of the best posters, the most outspoken, most sincere and highest quality members here are either prior-military or had the values of a Serviceman instilled in them. Thanks...

if you are old enough, it is almost certain that your dad was in the military during WWII. and when they came home, they wanted to shoot and hunt, so they passed it on.

if you are old enough, it is almost certain that your dad was in the military during WWII. and when they came home, they wanted to shoot and hunt, so they passed it on.

I wish! Due to some very bloody things my Father saw in WWII (Battle of Bastogne, etc.) he never wanted to look at a gun again. I tried after returning from Boy Scout camp, but no dice. He was also my Scoutmaster, so NO work on shooting merit badges in that Troop either.

Back when I was 10 or so I started with BB guns, then graduated to .22's and shotguns. Wasn't until much later on in life I shot my first handgun.

My Uncle Jeff taught me sight picture, hand grip, trigger finger awareness, cheek to stock weld, muscle relaxation and breathing. All the little nuances to improve your aim and results. Basically PRACTICE!

Boy....it sure is fun shooting.

Back
Top Bottom