How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

OK that's what i was thinking, till a conversation with someone who apparently didn't know what they were talking about.. not that it it applies to me i plan on getting a RIA 1911 for my first purchase ... waiting still, day 19..

I was granted my LTC on 4/28/12. The Police Chief told me it would be about 7 weeks before I get in the mail. I obviously haven't received it yet...but just thought that was a bit long to process and receive before you get the actual card license in hand. [hmmm]

After posting this today I literally got mine in the mail today....3 wks, 4 days later after interview.

Hi I have a question. Is there any one I can call or email other the the Brockton PD to find out why it has been 13 weeks and still not gotten a reply from the state to whether or not approve my LTC?

Hi I have a question. Is there any one I can call or email other the the Brockton PD to find out why it has been 13 weeks and still not gotten a reply from the state to whether or not approve my LTC?

Have you tried the Brockton PD where you applied? That should be your first step. 13weeks sure is a long time! Sorry dude!

Looks like we're in the same boat... Get comfortable, it's going to be another month (at least) - after the state replies the FRB process then begins....

What a nightmare!

I have found the process to be a bureaucratic comedy.

The police officer accepted my application and took my prints at the end of February. He said I am all set and he will call me when the license comes in. The last thing I asked him was how long it will take, and he responded "about forty days." 40 days came and went; no license or call.

I went down to the police department on 4-29-2012 and was told by the same police officer that had accepted my application that they (police department) is waiting for the license from the state. Don't call us, we will call you.

Enter a friendly check with the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety and they claim that they requested information from the police department on 4-5-2012 and have yet to hear back from them. The license appears to be held up by a lack of communication.

It has now been 95 days and no license.

I have found the process to be a bureaucratic comedy.

The police officer accepted my application and took my prints at the end of February. He said I am all set and he will call me when the license comes in. The last thing I asked him was how long it will take, and he responded "about forty days." 40 days came and went; no license or call.

I went down to the police department on 4-29-2012 and was told by the same police officer that had accepted my application that they (police department) is waiting for the license from the state. Don't call us, we will call you.

Enter a friendly check with the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety and they claim that they requested information from the police department on 4-5-2012 and have yet to hear back from them. The license appears to be held up by a lack of communication.

100 Days today and still no license

You guys that are complaining about waiting weeks got me laughing.

Im coming up on my 7th month and ive done everything, everyone has suggested on here other than getting a lawyer.

I gave my monthly call yesterday, and they came up with a new reason. The first officer who was handling the applications did some stuff wrong on them, so the officer who took over had to fix them and then send them in, so its in the process.

So for all you guys who feel 10 - 15 weeks is alot, i hear what your saying but know that i dont count weeks anymore because the number is too high, i count my wait in months, and its seven months june 9th if your keeping score at home.

And i honestly doNT mind waiting, i would rather just know its going to take this long.

Im coming up on my 7th month and ive done everything, everyone has suggested on here other than getting a lawyer.

I gave my monthly call yesterday, and they came up with a new reason. The first officer who was handling the applications did some stuff wrong on them, so the officer who took over had to fix them and then send them in, so its in the process.

So for all you guys who feel 10 - 15 weeks is alot, i hear what your saying but know that i dont count weeks anymore because the number is too high, i count my wait in months, and its seven months june 9th if your keeping score at home.

And i honestly doNT mind waiting, i would rather just know its going to take this long.

It just sucks waiting and knowing that I will only be receiving a LTC Class A for Hunting and target shooting For 2 years.

It just sucks waiting and knowing that I will only be receiving a LTC Class A for Hunting and target shooting For 2 years.

That's crazy. I can't help but think it has more to do with the city you live in and the surrounding gun related incidents. I would talk to a lawyer to see about rattling some cages. This would be a good Fox UnderCover news story....but it's Mass.

I would love to get a news station on this, but like you said all these anti gun folks in mass plus, the fact the media here is extremely liberal/democrat.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I think this is more common than anyone would like to believe.

I'd be dancing on some heads a lot sooner than this. My State Rep, State Senator, Mayor/Town Manager, Selectmen, etc. would know my name on-sight!

Good luck. I hope the expiration date doesn't occur before you get it in your hand! [thinking]

I would love to get a news station on this, but like you said all these anti gun folks in mass plus, the fact the media here is extremely liberal/democrat.

Actually showing non-gun people the process and all the confusion about what guns we can legally own in MA would definitely be a good thing.
The general public (no thanks to people like Michael Moore) is made to believe that we can just walk into a store, hand them money and walk out with a hand cannon tucked in our pants.
Maybe showing someone with a squeaky-clean record (in a red town) go through the entire process from taking the safety course to filling out the paperwork, waiting for the interview, doing the interview, waiting for the approval (maybe include video of all the actual checks that take place in the background by the state), waiting to actually get the license only to find out they can not even publicly carry on their person (ALP restriction), going to the store to buy the gun, and then to the range to actually take their first shot, would show just how stupid/silly this process is and exactly how people that actually go through this process are not the ones that are causing the problems.

I think this is more common than anyone would like to believe.

My problem with the licensing process is that it is so inconsistent and secretive. If there is information needed or action to be taken then honest communication would be good.

The appearance of conflicting information from public officials instills fear in citizens. It is a concern.

My past experience with my town police department has been very good. I appreciate their work. I feel safe in my community.

Unfortunately my Perceptions are slowly changing.

Last edited:
Actually showing non-gun people the process and all the confusion about what guns we can legally own in MA would definitely be a good thing.
The general public (no thanks to people like Michael Moore) is made to believe that we can just walk into a store, hand them money and walk out with a hand cannon tucked in our pants.
Maybe showing someone with a squeaky-clean record (in a red town) go through the entire process from taking the safety course to filling out the paperwork, waiting for the interview, doing the interview, waiting for the approval (maybe include video of all the actual checks that take place in the background by the state), waiting to actually get the license only to find out they can not even publicly carry on their person (ALP restriction), going to the store to buy the gun, and then to the range to actually take their first shot, would show just how stupid/silly this process is and exactly how people that actually go through this process are not the ones that are causing the problems.

I think that's a really good point.

Connecticut

Bristol, CT Wolf's Range and Gun Shop
Monroe, CT CT Gun Exchange
Newington, CT Hoffman's Gun Center
Norwalk, CT Forest and Field
Southport, CT Hansen & Hansen Arms
Tolland, CT Nutmeg Sports

Massachusetts

Adams, MA Pete's Gun Shop
Ayer, MA Blue Northern Trading Co.
Belchertown, MA Swift River Gun Works
Carver, MA Archer Arms Co.
Chicopee, MA Ricky's Gun Room
Danvers, MA Magnum Sporting
Easton, MA Zero Hour Arms
Greenfield, Ma Jurek Brothers Inc.
Hyannis, MA Powderhorn Outfitters

Pat's Gun Shop
545 South Main St.
Lanesboro, MA 01237
(413) 499-3897

Lawrence, MA Gun and Sport North
Lowell, MA A.G. Guns & Ammo
Marlboro, MA Callaghan's Firearms
Middleton, MA North Shore Firearms
North Attleboro, MA North East Trading
Northborough, MA Tite Group Sporting
Palmer, MA Nick's Sport Shop

Dave's Sporting Goods
1164 North St
Pittsfield, MA 01201
Phone: (413) 442-296

Southampton, MA American Jingo Trading Post
Stoneham, MA Collector's Gallery Firearms
Stoughton, MA Tackle Unlimited
Sutton, MA Stoney Acre Sports
Ware, MA Ware Gun Shop
Waltham, MA McElhiney's Firearms
Woburn, MA Four Seasons Guns FFL $40
Worcester, MA LaRocca Gun Works

New Hampshire

Bow, NH Lewis Arms
Hooksett, NH Riley's Sport Shop, Inc.
Lancaster, NH Peter Dimmitt and Sons
Pelham, NH T-B Guns
Pelham, NH TMC Arms
Merrimack, NH Triple Break Products
Somersworth, NH Northeast Firearms
South Newbury, NH Dickies Outdoor Sports
Weare, NH Frank's Gun Shop
Whitefield, NH Village Gun Store Inc

Rhode Island

Big Bear Hunting & Fishing Supply
401 Putnam Pike, Harmony, RI 02829
401-949-0339

Bullseye Shooting Supplies
837 Park Ave, Woonsocket, RI 02895
401-766-4409
www.bullseyeguns.com

Competition Shooting Supplies
435 Benefit Street, Pawtucket, RI 02861
401-727-1716

Continental Arms Co
1065 Park Ave, Cranston, RI 02910
401-943-2137

D & L Shooting Supplies
2663 W Shore Rd, Warwick, RI 02889
401-738-1889
www.dlshootingsupplies.com

Dave's Wholesale Guns
1287 Post Rd, Warwick, RI 02888
401-781-2666

Dicicco, Frank R
1287 Post Road, Warwick, RI 02888
401-781-2666

Foster Bear Arms
120 Danielson Pike, Foster, RI 02825
401-647-4867
www.fosterbeararms.com

Gun Traders Ltd Inc
111 Earle St, Central Falls, RI 02863
401-725-5665

Kane's Gun Shop
1028 Boston Neck Rd, No. Kingstown, RI 02852
401-295-0642

Ocean State Firearms Inc
15 Sandy Bottom Rd, Coventry, RI 02816
401-821-4867

Post Road Guns
2158 Plainfield Pike #4, Cranston, RI 02921
401-941-2160

Robin Hollow Outfitters Inc
200 Pheasant Dr, Harrisville, RI 02830
401-568-0331
www.robinhollow.com

Vermont

New Haven, VT Pidgeons Gun Shop
Underhill Center, VT Green Mountain Gear
Waterbury, VT Parro's Gun Shop and Police Supplies, Inc.

Maine

Kittery, ME Kittery Trading Post
Gray, ME Larry's Guns
Gray, ME Howell's Guns
Harpswell, ME Cole's Gunsmithing
Waterford, ME MDW Guns

LenS, i dont know its the way you write or the way i read, but your replies hit me, as very condescending. Im trying my best over here, and you cant mess with cops to much because they will do whatever they want.

Ive read a few of your replies and you make it seem like im not trying my best. I have to ride a fine line in my city because im fairly sure now they will make the wait longer the more you bug them.

With that being said, this site and many others like to make it seem like the squeaky wheel gets the oil, when in reality, you only have a right to squeak when the wheels about to fall off. Reasoning behind that is because theres a higher power thats stops the whole wheel from falling off.

My advice to everyone on this thread who thinks that they have wait to long is call your pd, very respectfully, and be more inquisitve about if anyone knows where your app is. Say your afraid its gotten lost in the mail or lie about a jerk roomate who likes to throw away your mail. Whatever you do, dont call your rep, mayor, or selectman if hes a democrat they wont help you they all drink the same koolaid as the pd. Calling up the rep, mayor or selectman to complain to a chief who thinks hes god will make your delay worse.

LenS, i dont know its the way you write or the way i read, but your replies hit me, as very condescending. Im trying my best over here, and you cant mess with cops to much because they will do whatever they want.

Ive read a few of your replies and you make it seem like im not trying my best. I have to ride a fine line in my city because im fairly sure now they will make the wait longer the more you bug them.

With that being said, this site and many others like to make it seem like the squeaky wheel gets the oil, when in reality, you only have a right to squeak when the wheels about to fall off. Reasoning behind that is because theres a higher power thats stops the whole wheel from falling off.

My advice to everyone on this thread who thinks that they have wait to long is call your pd, very respectfully, and be more inquisitve about if anyone knows where your app is. Say your afraid its gotten lost in the mail or lie about a jerk roomate who likes to throw away your mail. Whatever you do, dont call your rep, mayor, or selectman if hes a democrat they wont help you they all drink the same koolaid as the pd. Calling up the rep, mayor or selectman to complain to a chief who thinks hes god will make your delay worse.

I respectfully disagree with you. I feel that you can complain and that it will end up with positive results.

You believe otherwise and come here to complain about the wait where none of us can do anything to help you. [NOTE: The following is NOT aimed at you personally, it's a generic problem that I see here frequently. . . Perhaps it makes people feel better to complain amongst like-minded people, but I'm a firm believer in holding people's feet to the fire, even to forcing them to do their job on an occasion where I feel that they aren't doing it.]

No, I do not think that the person with a legitimate complaint will be put at the bottom of the pile for respectfully raising the issue to "higher authority".

And yes, I have done what I'm advocating here in the past and had positive results. I have two issues now that I will likewise be raising the anti on and also expect positive results.

When people post on NES and make it appear that they are looking for help/advice, I try to provide it. Anyone is free to ignore what they want or do as they please, but you shouldn't feel offended if the advice makes you fearful of repercussions or uneasy. I also don't think it is a responsible thing to do to tell others NEVER to contact "higher authorities" just because you might be fearful of the results. Each person has to think and take the appropriate action for themselves that will get them the results they deserve. I will leave you with this comment by my anti-gun chief during a discussion a year ago . . . he said "Why don't people come and talk with me?" to which I replied "They are scared to death of talking to you or other chiefs about anything!" Yes we were talking about licensing issues and he was on a vacation day . . . he came into the office specifically to talk with me at my request.

BTW, I would NEVER advocate lying to the police about anything. Making up stories about roommates throwing out Mail, etc. is not something that I think is wise, unless true.

YMMV

Well, your method worked for you, but didnt for me.

I didnt tell people to never go to a higher authority, rather i said make sure your chief doesnt feel like he is god, and will run things different then other chiefs. I feel complaining to a higher up with chiefs like that will get you no where.

And the lie isnt like your lieing in your letter to the chief or your interview, its more like using a reasonable excuse, for why the town you live in should tell you in what time frame they like to send out their permits. It can happen that mail gets lost and it can happen that a roomate, spouse, family member can accidently throw a piece of mail out. When the process gets into the month range i think that excuse is fair and should be answer with a honest answer.

Hey look i know you teach classes but it does not mean that you are the only one who can give advice, base on how their process has gone.

I feel that i have learned alot about the process in these 7 months, and until someone has had to wait this long, with all the effort i have put in, they shouldnt just assume what to do.

Well, your method worked for you, but didnt for me.

I didnt tell people to never go to a higher authority, rather i said make sure your chief doesnt feel like he is god, and will run things different then other chiefs. I feel complaining to a higher up with chiefs like that will get you no where.

And the lie isnt like your lieing in your letter to the chief or your interview, its more like using a reasonable excuse, for why the town you live in should tell you in what time frame they like to send out their permits. It can happen that mail gets lost and it can happen that a roomate, spouse, family member can accidently throw a piece of mail out. When the process gets into the month range i think that excuse is fair and should be answer with a honest answer.

Hey look i know you teach classes but it does not mean that you are the only one who can give advice, base on how their process has gone.

I feel that i have learned alot about the process in these 7 months, and until someone has had to wait this long, with all the effort i have put in, they shouldnt just assume what to do.

Take what you want for advice, but I'd certainly never criticize Lens. He's got 10 times the experience. If you don't like his advice just move on...

Take what you want for advice, but I'd certainly never criticize Lens. He's got 10 times the experience. If you don't like his advice just move on...

Thanks, that's what I was trying to get across. Advice here or elsewhere is worth what you paid for it, take that which works for you and ignore the rest.

And FWIW, my chief "doesn't feel like he is g_d" . . . He's CONVINCED that he is a g_d! [laugh]

I've had many successes over the past >35 years dealing with tough issues, doing as I stated above. In those cases I've had my prior chief call me a PITA to my face (his secretary screwed up the date on my LTC renewal and I refused to accept it) and I just smiled and said "yup, but you are going to fix it"! and he did (grumbling); I faced off a prior Sec. of Public Safety for violating Fed Law on the LTC application forms (that's how "optional" got put on the form for SSN) back ~30 years ago; I've challenged both IRS and DOR when they were wrong and won in each case. So nobody and nothing frightens me when I know that I'm right (and I'll do the advance research to make sure I'm on solid ground before throwing down the gauntlet)!

YMMV

I've known Len for a long time. He is a tremendous resource to this community because he shares his many years of experience with firearms licensing with us all.

,My advice to everyone on this thread who thinks that they have wait to long is call your pd, very respectfully, and be more inquisitve about if anyone knows where your app is. Say your afraid its gotten lost in the mail or lie about a jerk roomate who likes to throw away your mail. Whatever you do, dont call your rep, mayor, or selectman if hes a democrat they wont help you they all drink the same koolaid as the pd. Calling up the rep, mayor or selectman to complain to a chief who thinks hes god will make your delay worse.Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Well sometimes the written word can come off more condescending than it is intended, but let me tell you this that in the seven years I have known Len S., I know him to be spot on when it comes to Mass Firearms laws and he is one of the few non attorneys (of those who practice the arcane field of Mass Firearms Laws, which is probably dealing with more arcane laws than a tax attorney !) whose advice I will take to the bank.

I find it interesting that you advocated lying to the police, and your statement regarding your rep or mayor or selectman being a Democrat doesn't hold water and only shows your lack of knowledge regarding local politics in Massachusetts. There are plenty of Democrats in the General Court of the Commonwealth (state legislature) that have "A" ratings from GOAL. All politics is local as the late Tip O'Neal said, and you would be surprised sometimes how responsive a police department can get when a local pol steps in. I will grant you that everyone's experience is different. I'm not a cop, but work in the criminal justice system, and I cannot endorse LenS highly enough. He charges money for advice that he freely shares with people on this forum, and he doesn't have to share or respond, but he genuinely cares about people who desire a firearms license, and unlike yourself would never advocate lying to the police which you have done in writing on an open internet public forum.

Back
Top Bottom