How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Believe me, I ask myself that very same question every time I realize I can't buy a new Colt, a Springfield XD, a collapsible stock for my AR or when I see cheap ammo prices from a mail-order vendor. [angry]

Hey, new guy here. Got my interveiw scheduled for mid-july and have been spending a lot of time researching the crazy gun laws here, took a course...

I was under the impression that you could buy ammo online and have it shipped via common carrier ( UPS, Fedex, etc) but not USPS. Is that not the case?

I was told it would be 8 weeks and "Don't call me, I'll call you. People call me all the time and it drives me crazy." After nine weeks I called and left a message. I got a call a few days later and was told it was sitting there. Besides that, the officer was great, they seemed to be all for having an LTC. I didn't have to fill in two references or have any letters written.
LTC class A no restrictions.

Last edited:
I dropped my application off on january 28th, got my interview on may 16th and was told "4-6 weeks i
will have my ltc" Still waiting.....

It looks like MA is catching up with their LTC's.
I don't believe the state is the major problem with licensing delays, it's the PDs. There are way too many people getting their LTCs well withing the 40 day statutory requirement. It's very easy for the Police to shove applications off to the side and get to them when they get to them while blaming the state for the delays. The folks at FRB aren't stupid and they're not taking the blame for the PDs. That's why they started posting processing times on their website.

If anyone ever takes the blame for not following the law and issuing withing 40 days, it won't be the state.

I don't believe the state is the major problem with licensing delays, it's the PDs. There are way too many people getting their LTCs well withing the 40 day statutory requirement. It's very easy for the Police to shove applications off to the side and get to them when they get to them while blaming the state for the delays. The folks at FRB aren't stupid and they're not taking the blame for the PDs. That's why they started posting processing times on their website.

If anyone ever takes the blame for not following the law and issuing withing 40 days, it won't be the state.

Someone I know called a PD last week and inquired about their status, because it has been 19 weeks.
The licensing office personnel asked for name, told my friend to wait, as if s/he went to check, then came back a minute later and said, "The license is approved, but we're waiting for the state to send it to us, it could take weeks."

Is it true the PD can know the status of an LTC/FIC before they receive the card back from the state ? Do they have a checking system in the PD ?
Or was the personnel just blowing smoke up.........

Hey, new guy here. Got my interveiw scheduled for mid-july and have been spending a lot of time researching the crazy gun laws here, took a course...

I was under the impression that you could buy ammo online and have it shipped via common carrier ( UPS, Fedex, etc) but not USPS. Is that not the case?
You can... if you can find someone who'll ship it to this hellhole. Don't bother to ask here - no one will share the names of any companies we might know who do so since we don't want our dear Assmuppet General, Martha Coakley, to send the companies who will ship a consent decree enema (basically saying stop this or we will sue your ass).

According to the licensing officer in my town, there were 6 people in the CJSB processing licenses... 4 got reassigned earlier this year and one just died. I don't think he was blowing smoke up my rear end... and from what I understand, it's the PD that approves it and sends the request to the CJSB to print the sucker. I think.

According to the licensing officer in my town, there were 6 people in the CJSB processing licenses... 4 got reassigned earlier this year and one just died. I don't think he was blowing smoke up my rear end... and from what I understand, it's the PD that approves it and sends the request to the CJSB to print the sucker. I think.

I do know that they are currently severely understaffed, Jason has told me that he was down to 4 employees (from 9 when he started in the job) a few months ago. Sadly true that a long time employee there recently passed as well.

I do know that they are currently severely understaffed, Jason has told me that he was down to 4 employees (from 9 when he started in the job) a few months ago. Sadly true that a long time employee there recently passed as well.

If I'm remembering the conversation correctly, the gentleman who passed away was only 33. That's just way too young.

Someone I know called a PD last week and inquired about their status, because it has been 19 weeks.
The licensing office personnel asked for name, told my friend to wait, as if s/he went to check, then came back a minute later and said, "The license is approved, but we're waiting for the state to send it to us, it could take weeks."

Is it true the PD can know the status of an LTC/FIC before they receive the card back from the state ? Do they have a checking system in the PD ?
Or was the personnel just blowing smoke up.........

Yes, they can see the status in MIRCs but I can guarantee you that the cop was still blowing smoke up his arse.

Ohh interesting. I thought it was the state and the local PD's taking their time. I saw that mass.gov now has the processing times on their site. I wish they had this while I was waiting. I'd check the mail everyday like a lunatic hoping my LTC would be in it. Oh well. Good luck to you all who are still waiting.

From what I've seen, knowing processing times will do you no good. They could hold them as long as they can get away with, both before they submit them and after they are mailed back. I wouldn't believe anything they told me about the current status of it either. Of course there are a few PDs out there that will be straight with you, but if you look at all the posts with people claiming very reasonable times, you've got to wonder where the delay is coming from.

Newer member here...Live in Boston.
Wife and I picked up our applications May 15th. We had an appointment to submit it today, June 15th. First available appointment to shoot at moon island is August 31st, maybe we will be licensed in time to get a nice Christmas present.

Wife and I picked up our applications May 15th. We had an appointment to submit it today, June 15th. First available appointment to shoot at moon island is August 31st, maybe we will be licensed in time to get a nice Christmas present.

Welcome. My sympathies on living in Boston. I find it incredibly offensive that you are required to WAIT a minimum of 4 months to exercise a Constitutional right.

I am also sorry to hear that. That is horrible you have to wait that long just for an appt. If you do get it before Christmas make sure you buy an excellent first gun before they get even harder to get. I have no regrets with my SR9c as my first gun I purchased on my own. Welcome aboard.

Just got off the phone with the FRB and the woman was extremely nice and even tried not to throw my PD under the bus. After talking with her as to why i was concerned if anyone knew the whereabouts of my application, she took my name and date of birth. She informed me that it has not been sent to them and i interviewed and did my application with 3 letters of recommendation on november 9th 2011.

So, i understand that the FRB is understaffed, but its not all their fault when wait times go into the 7 month period. Some PDs still take their time.

Just got off the phone with the FRB and the woman was extremely nice and even tried not to throw my PD under the bus. After talking with her as to why i was concerned if anyone knew the whereabouts of my application, she took my name and date of birth. She informed me that it has not been sent to them and i interviewed and did my application with 3 letters of recommendation on november 9th 2011.

So, i understand that the FRB is understaffed, but its not all their fault when wait times go into the 7 month period. Some PDs still take their time.

NOV. 9 !!! [shocked] Get off your your ass and get down to your PD. Demand they get their s#!t together, and process your app. They are either stonewalling or the app is lost.

I think its time to call Jesse Cohen's office.

Ohh interesting. I thought it was the state and the local PD's taking their time. I saw that mass.gov now has the processing times on their site. I wish they had this while I was waiting. I'd check the mail everyday like a lunatic hoping my LTC would be in it. Oh well. Good luck to you all who are still waiting.

where on the site do you see the processing times?

Better Call Saul!

All jokes aside, that is despicable. Take that to the state representative. Only in MA could it take that long for anything to happen. Mine was August 31st to January 5th and I am very close with the chief. I thought mine was long! I am sorry to hear about that wait. I would do something if they said that to me.

Back
Top Bottom