How long for a Form 4?

Going by the replies on arfcom... about 4-6 months.

I've had a form 4 pending since March 3rd, nothing yet. I read somewhere that 8 million apps were sent in during 2008, so I guess they are pretty back logged... more were hired recently to speed up the process.

form 4?

sorry for my lack of knowledge on this,
what is a form 4?
i know form 1 is for sbr, which took me 4 months
to get, submitted in feb, got back end of may/ beginning
of june

thx
garyz

what is a form 4?
of june

thx
garyz

A Form 4 is used for tax-paid transfer and registration of a NFA item. This is the form used when you buy an existing NFA item. As with lots of ATF things, the NFA item must already be possessed by an entity (dealer or another individual) in the same state that you're a resident of. If the item you want is in another state, it will first have to be transfered to a dealer in your home state. In general if you're buying from a dealer, they will do as much of the paperwork as they can before giving it to the buyer for CLEO sign-off, etc.

what is a form 4?
of june

thx
garyz

not to hijak this thread, and sorry to come off a little harsh, but this above "scares" the crap out of me...that someone who is "into" and has NFA doesn't understand the forms, especially the "common" forms, is slightly concerning...It is great to get new folks into NFA, but come on "new guys" not knowing a form 1 from 4 is "F'd" up [sad2]... Garyz (sorry to pick on you) but when you made your SBR did you ever think of how you would "dispose" of it???

Form 1 is for a non manufacturer to make an NFA device (not just SBR's, but any NFA device)
Form 4 is tax paid transfer of NFA devices (so when/if you sell your SBR it will be on a From 4)

Ps. Garyz, please don't take the above as personal, but a lack of knoweldge about this stuff is how "innocent" guys get themselves in lots of trouble for minor screw ups...So here is your "homework", do yourself a favor now that you have an SBR and go look up a form 5320.20 (if you like to vacation you'l figure out why)...

Last edited:
I did a transfer on a form 4 back in 1994 and it took 1 month.

That might have been because I was a SOT and didn't need the CLEO sign off.

But doing it that way instead of a form 3 as is usually used saved me the extra 200.00 when I transferred it to an individual when I gave up my tax stamp.

If I can find the form I will post a scan of it.

BTW here is the NFA handbook for those that don't know whats up with NFA RULES.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/

We all have to start somewhere, what better place than here to tap knowledge.

When it comes to NFA item... there are NO dumb questions!

not to hijak this thread, and sorry to come off a little harsh, but this above "scares" the crap out of me...that someone who is "into" and has NFA doesn't understand the forms, especially the "common" forms, is slightly concerning...It is great to get new folks into NFA, but come on "new guys" not knowing a form 1 from 4 is "F'd" up [sad2]... Garyz (sorry to pick on you) but when you made your SBR did you ever think of how you would "dispose" of it???

Form 1 is for a non manufacturer to make an NFA device (not just SBR's, but any NFA device)
Form 4 is tax paid transfer of NFA devices (so when/if you sell your SBR it will be on a From 4)

Ps. Garyz, please don't take the above as personal, but a lack of knoweldge about this stuff is how "innocent" guys get themselves in lots of trouble for minor screw ups...So here is your "homework", do yourself a favor now that you have an SBR and go look up a form 5320.20 (if you like to vacation you'l figure out why)...

securityboy, actually, no i never thought about how to sell an nfa item,(hope to never have to) as i have a dlr that i feel comfortable w/ that knows how to handle nfa transactions, just like when i got my ppwk together, they helped me get everthing in order, explained to me exactly what i needed and who i needed it from. (zha for those that may want to get an nfa) i'm learning as i go, if i have questions, i ask people that are currently into whatever my subject may be.
since i'm not a lawyer, reading some of the online information is useless, especially since everyone seems to interpret it in their own way, ie. ask 5 different gun shops and 5 different pd's and you will get 10 different answers.
i'm sorry that my lack of knowledge of nfa items "scares" you, but i'm learning as i go.
as for form 5320.20 , that seems if, and only if i am going to carry the sbr out of state, where i currently have a target/hunting restricted license, i'm not sure that it effects me .

also, i did not take your comments personal, i look at is as a learning experience. see, i learned something new today, i looked at form 5320.20

garyz

...as for form 5320.20 , that seems if, and only if i am going to carry the sbr out of state, where i currently have a target/hunting restricted license, i'm not sure that it effects me .

also, i did not take your comments personal, i look at is as a learning experience. see, i learned something new today, i looked at form 5320.20

garyz

Garyz,
Glad you took it for what it was a learning experience, thats what I was after. But I will just clarify something with regard to the 5320.20. It has nothing to do with your LTC, it has to do with taking certain NFA devices (SBR's being 1) out of state. Long and short if you leave MA. w/ your SBR wether its on your person, in the trunk of your car, or in your checked luggage, you need to have a 5320.20 approved and with you, when you are out of state.

I think another good thing to mention is the .20 really isn't hard to obtain, fill it out, fax it in, and they send it right back. It costs $0.

Don't forget, if you print it out...double sided!

I think another good thing to mention is the .20 really isn't hard to obtain, fill it out, fax it in, and they send it right back. It costs $0.

Don't forget, if you print it out...double sided!

I've been dealing with NFA stuff for 10 years now, I have yet to see a double sided 5320.20.

[rolleyes]

Looks double sided to me, even includes the disclaimer on the back. Are you printing on 11x17?[rofl]

www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf

Paperwork Reduction Act Notice

This form is in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information you provide is used to compile statistics on the manufacture and
exportation of firearms. The furnishing of this information is mandatory (18 U.S.C. 921(g)).

The estimated average burden associated with this collection of information is 45 minutes per respondent or recordkeeper, depending on individual
circumstances. Comments concerning the accuracy of this burden estimate and suggestions for reducing this burden should be addressed to Reports
Management Officer, Document Services Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Washington, DC 20226.

An agency may not conduct or sponsor, and a person is not required to respond to, a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB
control number.

Would you like me to screenshot the form? Sure, there may be nothing to fill out on the back, but there is a back to the form.

Looks to me like you've been turning in invalid 5320.20 forms. I wouldn't want to be you and get caught out of state with an invalid 5320.20.

But then again, you do know everything, keep on doing what you're doing.

Last edited:
Looks double sided to me, even includes the disclaimer on the back. Are you printing on 11x17?[rofl]

www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf

Would you like me to screenshot the form? Sure, there may be nothing to fill out on the back, but there is a back to the form.

Looks to me like you've been turning in invalid 5320.20 forms. I wouldn't want to be you and get caught out of state with an invalid 5320.20.

But then again, you do know everything, keep on doing what you're doing.

Nice try, Mr. Expert. The 5320.20 is a 1 page form. The other page is the instructions. Do you fax BATFE the instructions too? I'm sure they appreciate that. Also, can you tell me how to fax something double sided??

LOL.

Nice try, Mr. Expert. The 5320.20 is a 1 page form. The other page is the instructions. Do you fax BATFE the instructions too? I'm sure they appreciate that. Also, can you tell me how to fax something double sided??

LOL.

Not what you said. You said the form was not double sided, it is in fact double sided. Do you fax both sides? well that's up to you. And yes, I fax things doubled sided. It's called a duplex fax. Xerox makes some pretty nice ones as a matter of fact. In reality, if you are only faxing the face, you're faxing half of the form.

I can assure you, duplex printing/faxing/scanning is nothing new.

Back
Top Bottom