How many magazines for your primary carry firearm?

hillman

NES Member
I'm just curious how many magazines per firearm on average folks here own?

For instance, for my primary CCW, my ruger P345, I own 7 8 round and 3 10 round magazines.

Before I sold my Glock 19, I had 8 magazines for that. My last Sigma, I had 7 magazines.

I just feel like I am only half dressed if I own a gun and only 1 or 2 magazines.

Are you saying you leave the house with 7 or 8 mags on you? If so, that's expecting one hell of a bad encounter! :)

I usually only carry one back up magazine. Glock 30. 20rnds of .45 should be more than enough

Are you saying you leave the house with 7 or 8 mags on you? If so, that's expecting one hell of a bad encounter! :)

I usually only carry one back up magazine. Glock 30. 20rnds of .45 should be more than enough

No normally I leave the house with only the Ruger and 1 or 2 magazines, depending on where I am going.

Unless I am going to Dorchester. Then I bring everything, and a trash can lid strapped to my left arm and a samurai sword across my back. And spurs on my boots. And sometimes a crossbow. And a ray gun.

Seriously though, I was just asking how many you own for each. Not carry. My wife thinks you only need a few, I say what good is ammo in a cardboard box? Better to store it in little silvery sleeves with springs and stuff in them.

I'd never tell a grown man how many magazines to carry. However, unless it's a real SHTF situation you're going to have a hell of a time justifying that you emptied more than two magazines in an altercation. That's not a dig on anyone, just a generalization and of course IMHO.

(1 Spare mag with my Sig or 1 Speed Loader with my Snub)

Last edited:
While a second full mag is comforting, the extra ammo is not the real reason why I always have one extra mag. Consider that a faulty mag is one of the prime reasons for a gun not going bang.

I've got two Glock 45's the 30SF and the 21SF. the 30 is my EDC and I can use the 21 mags in it. I have the 2 10rd mags the 30 came with and 6 13rd mags for the 21

Right now i have 2 14rnd mags for the SW40VE.when out an about,i only bring one with me(the one that's in the gun).mainly because i haven't picked up a mag holder yet..

Well, normally carry with one in and two spares on me. So, I want the same number (at least) in mags to train with as they will get dropped, stepped on, etc. And then a few spares in case one is baddly damaged. So anywhere from 8-12 for a carry. For ones that are just for fun, two or maybe three if they are not too expensive.

I have 4 10 rounders for my m&p 40c i usually only carry a spare with me if im going to a BAD area in brocton, new bedford, springfield, etc

I carry a speed strip with my 642 off and on

for my 4053 tsw I own 2 10 rounders and 6 12 rounders

The AR has about 8 or 9 30's and a colt 20 rounder converted to only accept 5 rounds for hunting

5 just now for a S&W M&P9c. I pick up an additional mag every order or three from Midway or Brownells.

My primary CCW currently is a Davis derringer. Two shots... I was planning in buying a S&W model 60 for a CCW, but then I saw an AR15 and all bets are off. I am now planning in building an AR15 which may shelf the model 60 for now, but we'll see.

I have four to five per semi auto handgun, five to six speedloaders per revolver type, about 15 AR mags and a crapload of M1 rifle clips.

the SHTF Glock22 has 10 Ten round magazines, and three 15 rounders

The Sig has 3 magazines

the J frames have 2 speed loaders and 4 speed strips for the 2 of them

The Mk1 has five magazines.

For some reason all my semi's have 6 mags each.
Of course I have 2 1911s so I have 12 of those.

I always have a spare mag for whayever gun i am carrying.

Those 2 Shot Derringers are filthy. I know one guy that packs 2 .410 buckshot in his derringer that he carries. I mean you're not talking many rounds but that is a lot of firepower in a lil pocket gun like that.

Back
Top Bottom