How Should Doctors Talk About Gun Safety? Article from "The Doctor Weighs In"

They get paid to push pills.

They are in collusion with big insurance, and the government which mandates big insurance. It is all a scam, and you are the victim.

I love these threads. Easily my favorite on NES.

Doctor: "Do you own guns?"
You: "No."

Problem solved.

Sucks that people can't find a doctor they trust too. I have one doctor that I trust absolutely 100%, I was very lucky to find them.

Doctors who are shooters themselves might consider advertising the fact - probably get a lot of business from paranoid NESers. They could tell us whose asterisk is the most reamed out from all the arguments on here too...it could be like a monthly competition.

It's unfortunate that people seem to have a hard time finding health care that they are comfortable with. I have removed myself from primary care mostly for the view that it seems more administrative oriented vs treatment and viewing the PT as a whole. Administrators would have me reducing my PT contact time in order to fill more spots in the day, and documentation is a joke. Look at a progress note today, and you can surmise that an individual is right hand dominate, is a visual learner, feels safe at home, has no feeling of hopelessness, speaks English, and prefers written material. What it won't tell me, is a thorough exam note on why the PT was presented in the first place or a good HPI/PMI. Frustrating.

You guys and your abbreviations!

PT? Physical Therapy?
HPI/PMI? Isn't that used for quality testing on AR BCG's (now you got me doing it!)?

Not everything is politically motivated or an effort to restrict privacy, freedom, etc. I recently had a daughter and this question is asked at every appointment. Do you know what happens after I answer this question? A heated political debate? A lecture on the dangers of firearms? Nope... The doctor asks if my house was built before 1978 (lead paint), which I'm also not worried about answering.

If you're that paranoid and worried about getting added to a secret list that doesn't exist, then just lie.

So you never watched a new story about govt agency's over stepping their authority by collecting data that they shouldn't ?
Its not paranoia if they really are after you.

Not everything is politically motivated or an effort to restrict privacy, freedom, etc. I recently had a daughter and this question is asked at every appointment. Do you know what happens after I answer this question? A heated political debate? A lecture on the dangers of firearms? Nope... The doctor asks if my house was built before 1978 (lead paint), which I'm also not worried about answering.

If you're that paranoid and worried about getting added to a secret list that doesn't exist, then just lie.

It is kind of odd....if you live in mass the cops (the people that will actually take your guns) already know you have them. In other states...well it would certainly be easier for the feds to just look at the IP of everyone on this site rather than subpoenaing everyone's medical records (from every provider they've ever had) and searching for any reference of a gun. EMR aren't exactly what a lot of people seem to think they are. In plenty of hospitals you could walk into the ED and they would have no way of knowing your home meds besides asking you or searching your wallet for family members to call.

The insurance companies store the data and are more than happy to share with the authorities.We're not talking about hypothetical , its actually happening.

Last edited:
So you never watched a new story about govt agency's over stepping their authority by collecting data that they shouldn't ?
Its not paranoia if they really are after you.

My pediatrician isn't a government agency. If the government really wanted to collect information about who owns firearms are they going to rely on word of mouth self reporting to doctors or are they just going to see who does or has owned an LTC? The secret doctor list paranoia just doesn't make sense.

This totally makes more sense.

That aside, I don't understand why people think the question is such a big deal... its a simple physical health update answer the question as you wish - it's utility lies in those who actually have no idea that their loaded 12 gauge above the couch might attract their young child's attention. This is by no means in application to the educated firearms community.

To the doctors trying to encroach - every profession has it's evil politicians.

Most professions don't carry much weight with big G.

If you don't think things get written down, to potentially be used later, you're delusional. Oh right, we live in the USA, stuff like that could never happen here, sorry, I forgot.

Your pediatrician answers to the insurance company,the insurance companies answer to the government. Thats fact and there is nothing secret about it.
QUOTE=Bill ZRT;4602310]My pediatrician isn't a government agency. If the government really wanted to collect information about who owns firearms are they going to rely on word of mouth self reporting to doctors or are they just going to see who does or has owned an LTC? The secret doctor list paranoia just doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

M
Your pediatrician answers to the insurance company,the insurance companies answer to the government. Thats fact and there is nothing secret about it.
QUOTE=Bill ZRT;4602310]

Put more simply...
All doctors are employees of the insurance companies. (Directly or indirectly). They are paying their salaries and can not exist without them.

The insurance companies are, at this point are subsidiaries of the government.

The doctors are be paid or penalized by their employers to collect and enter data into their systems.

They are paying for this data to be collected for a reason.

What does practicing medicine have to do with counciling patients about gun ownership. Doctors should stick to medical care and MTOB.

Last edited:

The problem here is the federal government taking over health care and forcing doctors to push a political agenda of whatever administration. They become political officers and that isn't right or a good idea for a Constitutional Republic founded on the principals of individual liberty and a non interfering small government.

The problem here is the federal government taking over health care and forcing doctors to push a political agenda of whatever administration. They become political officers and that isn't right or a good idea for a Constitutional Republic founded on the principals of individual liberty and a non interfering small government.
Perhaps more important than the principle is the practice - as a matter of historical pattern, this arrangement of Drs as political officers has repeated itself in genocides and institutional atrocities in Germany, the USSR, China and the USA among others.

It is a reliable feature of abuse that supposed "medical science" is twisted to political ends to discredit opposition and allow "experimentation" on classes of people deemed "lesser" via invariably bogus means.

What's next? Asking me how my driving skills are? How are my safety procedures around my gas BBQ grill? How 'bout if I've written any letters to the editor exercising my 1st amendment rights? I barely get enough face time with my doc talking about my health let alone beginning a conversation about guns. If that subject ever came up my reply would simply be, "Sirs, I respect you and your profession but a discussion about firearms is inappropriate and out of your expertise. Let's move on." period.

Rome

Are doctors being advised to ask if people own cars? bathtubs? hammers? Hands and feet?

If not, then they NEED to STFU and MYOFB!!

This is just another way for the left to push their "gun violence" crap by making it a "public safety" issue as a means toward disarmament.

What's next? Asking me how my driving skills are? How are my safety procedures around my gas BBQ grill? How 'bout if I've written any letters to the editor exercising my 1st amendment rights? I barely get enough face time with my doc talking about my health let alone beginning a conversation about guns. If that subject ever came up my reply would simply be, "Sirs, I respect you and your profession but a discussion about firearms is inappropriate and out of your expertise. Let's move on." period.

Nah, they're not gonna ask about driving skills, BBQ safety, long winded letters etc.. cuz there's no Mainstream Media river of endless liberal vomit overflowing their FB, Twitter and Instagram apps, nor is the American Medical Association going to press them on any of those issues. They're too busy bowing to the masses of political correctness and endearing themselves to the "Guns are bad" dweebs who believe "doctors are saviors, cops are good, and legal gun owners are lunatics who want to kill you and your family at the shopping mall".

"Oh, and please see the desk on the way out - they forgot to ask for your $50 copay when you arrived.."

I just posted this in the comments

I am not a doctor. I am however a federally licensed firearms manufacturer, have been competing since I was 14, and have been an instructor for 15 years.
Lets agree that I won’t give out medical advice, and you all won’t give out firearms advice. OK?

Lets see if it gets posted. Its currently "awaiting moderation".

For the record my doc knows I own guns and shoot.
We had the conversation when I wanted to know if I was clear and good to go hunting after my heart issue.
It's the questioning of the kids that get me uncomfortable.
Mine have never been alone in a doctors office for a second on account of stuff like that.
How the hell am I supposed to know if I have some Liberal crusader pumping my kid for information or not?
Do I find out when social services show up at the door with a cop and a clipboard, because OMG there's gunz in the house with kids?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom