• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I feel bad, but I think I did the right thing...

Well, I was dropping my son's friend off today and my son's friend's family was packing their car and one of their friend's kid (11 yr old) was pointing his BB rifle at us. I told him to stop and he didn't so I told the parent who was standing right next to him to watch what he was doing... in probably a not so nice tone. She was offended and obviously didn't think it was appropriate for me to suggest she address the kid (she was closest to him). I don't think she was mad at me but if it was my kid I'd break the damn thing in a million pieces. That stuff just pisses me off.

Agreed, no way!

That's your normal brain-dead parent. Later when bad things happen, they look to blame it on guns, or some other inanimate object that just needs "one more law" to fix.

Well, I'm not usually given to such admissions, but when I'm around civilians with guns, I sort of appoint myself the Range Officer OIC and I've done similar things myself. I regret the necessity but not the action.

It seems to me that if you had done nothing and then something had happened, you'd have felt worse (as well as have been derelict in your responsibilities). In fact, I've used that rationale on occasion and sometimes it works.

On to the next thing.

As an RSO..... we can all call a Range Safety Violation... and that kid was one.

Good job. No need to lower your saftey level.

If that was a real BB gun, then it should be treated exactly like a real gun, all the safety rules. That's the way I was taught, when my friend's dad let us use a BB gun in the backyard, he taught us all the rules of real firearms handling, and we had to obey all of them with the BB rifle. No muzzle sweeping, fingers off the trigger, always assume it's loaded, make sure there is no barrel obstructions, everything. We were about 10 years old.

If an 11 year old kid is pointing a BB gun at me, I would take it away from them.

What do you want to bet that the same woman is "Anti-gun". Real ones that is. But of course, HER child can do no wrong.

[puke]

Actually, the woman is a good friend of the family and is basically neutral, not anti guns. The family knows I'm an active shooter. The problem is her son (not the one that did this) loves guns, but she leaves the father to deal with these situations... not good enough IMO. I've been to the range with the father and son and I know they understand firearm/gun safety. FWIW- they did take the gun away as I was leaving, but I don't care whose kid it was, I'd do the same thing again. Well, (hindsight is 20/20) actually I think I'd go talk to the kid directly.

better to be SAFE than sorry. You absolutely with out a doubt did the right thing. And now maybe the mother will be that much more aware the next time her son is handling a BB Gun.

Maybe to smooth it over a bit offer the mom that you will take her son (and her if she wants) to the range for some safe handling training.

Funny that this comes up now. I just came back from my accountant's office, and during the visit, I mentioned my Lodge's paintball fundraiser and suggested that his sons (he had a picture of them on his desk) would like it. He told me that his oldest (18!) has a BB in his neck, courtesy of his best friend, and as a result he's been banned from "touching anything with a trigger on it". Apparently Mom is very upset and now kid can't have anything...

My comment was that someone broke Rule 1 & 2 (always loaded, don't shoot anything you don't want to destroy, etc) and his reply was that the kids broke rules 1, 2 & 3 - don't touch it when he's not around, you pump it, you shoot it (don't put it away pumped up), and I forget rule 3... but it was obvious that we were talking different rules here!

I think you did the right thing, shame on you for telling that woman how to mind her kid sweet innocent child :-(

You were 100% right.
Bruce

Lugnut, You did the right thing. I might have been more aggressive. I really HATE any guns pointed at me, even toys. The last thing I'd worry about is being rude. I don't want to worry about being dead!

Lugnut, don't feel bad. You did the right thing. I always tell kids (both ones I know and don't know) the basic three rules when I see them doing anything wrong. I also make sure they understand before I end the discussion. Good job hun. (Mom also got an education, and since she's pawning it off on dad, sounds like she needed it too)

Well, I was dropping my son's friend off today and my son's friend's family was packing their car and one of their friend's kid (11 yr old) was pointing his BB rifle at us. I told him to stop and he didn't so I told the parent who was standing right next to him to watch what he was doing... in probably a not so nice tone. She was offended and obviously didn't think it was appropriate for me to suggest she address the kid (she was closest to him). I don't think she was mad at me but if it was my kid I'd break the damn thing in a million pieces. That stuff just pisses me off.
Y'know, Dave... thinking about this some more, I'd have to say that you did NOT do the right thing. If it had been me, I'd have taken it away from him, handed it to his mother, and told her that she shouldn't let her child have a BB gun until he learned some gun safety.

I have done things like that in the past, and I'd do it again. I do NOT like having things pointed at me... Just my $0.02, and worth what you paid for it... but if some adult forcibly took it from his hands, the lesson might well have sunk in. Hopefully this kid does NOT wind up on the front page of the Globe.

If it were my son or grandson, that BB gun would have been snapped in half over my knee and tossed in a trash can and never replaced. I don't tolerate shit like that from them. Your friend needs to wake up and discipline the kid before an accident (negligence) occurs. It'll cost them alot more than the price of a BB gun.

Don't feel bad, I probably would have been a bit worse.[grin] The Army beat it into us and I don't take safety lightly. Doesn't matter who they are.

Back
Top Bottom